DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Optura 60, info wanted (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/45038-optura-60-info-wanted.html)

Dan Vandehey May 22nd, 2005 04:43 PM

Optura 60, info wanted

Hello,
I had a few questions that I tried searching for, but didn't have luck finding, sorry if they are out there.

Does the USB 2.0 work for transferring actually video (mainly through premiere)?

Is this camera really any good? (I know that is a loaded question, but there allot of mediocre reviews out there, but they all seem to base it on the “poor low light” recordings, then they compare it to a 3 CCD camera)

I am mainly looking for a camera for “normal everyday use” and for taping live concerts. I am worried the low light issue may be a problem, but I think it should be ok.

If you have any recommendations instead of the Optura 60, that would be nice, but I am trying to stay in the $700 range.

Edit:
Thought I would add: sorry if this is newbie stuff, but this will be my first camcorder. I will be wanting to use this camera for digital video editing, so I need to be able to connect to the PC and have a passthrough for other video sources. I usually use premeire for editing the AVi's then maestro for authoring DVD's.

Tommy Haupfear May 22nd, 2005 06:26 PM

Dan, I haven't had the pleasure of using an Optura 60 but CLICK HERE for a review of one from dvspot.

As for your USB 2.0 question.. Some cams do allow for full video transfer over USB but for 100% compatibility with Premiere I would recommend using the tried and true IEEE1394 Firewire port.

Dan Vandehey May 22nd, 2005 06:44 PM

Timmy,
Thanks, i think when I can get it for a affordable price I will. Hopefully Dell will have them on-sale soon. I have seen it as low as $675 through reputable companies, but get a little worried with some places (like fotoconnection).

If anyone knows the USB question that would be awesome.

Also, any good accessories to get with this?

I will be needed a better battery (recomendations?)

Tommy Haupfear May 22nd, 2005 07:11 PM

Dan,

B&H has the Optura 60 for $669 and they are beyond reliable. You can use Reselleratings.com to look B&H and other online retailers to get the real deal on their business practices.

You can look up the answer to your USB question by downloading the manual from the link below (PDF format).

CLICK HERE

Dan Vandehey May 22nd, 2005 08:27 PM

Sadly the manual is a little vague in that area. Has a page saying you can connect it... and copy, but it makes it sould like you have to use a windows program... "windows movie maker 2"

Wasn't sure if that was a marketing ploy or if it was the only program that would work.

Either way, I can do both (just have to add firewire).

I looked at that site, I never thought ath Dell would have such bad reviews. I know that in the past I have had excellent help from them, maybe things have changed... huh. Any thoughts on buydig.com?

Thanks again.

Robert Mann Z. May 22nd, 2005 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Vandehey
Hello,

Does the USB 2.0 work for transferring actually video (mainly through premiere)?

Is this camera really any good? (I know that is a loaded question, but there allot of mediocre reviews out there, but they all seem to base it on the “poor low light” recordings, then they compare it to a 3 CCD camera)

first the usb is only for using canons digital video software, after capture you can use the video in premiere, but premiere will not capture video via the usb port and the optura 60

second i hardly call my review mediocre, you can find here http://www.emptyloft.com/optura60

Dan Vandehey May 23rd, 2005 12:08 AM

By mediocre I meant the review of the camera not the review itself :)

Does the software capture to un-compressed AVI?

Jay Yuan May 23rd, 2005 05:32 AM

have used an Optura 50 for a few weeks

The two reasons for me to buy an Optura are: (1) for taping stage performance for my kids, easy manual adjustment of exposure is a must. (2) although OIS (optical image stabilization) isn't very important as I would mount it on a tripod the whole time to taping performance, when I hold the camcorder by hands on other occasions, OIS will be very useful.

On the high school stage, the lighting is actually pretty strong for the camcorder. I get good details and colors. Occasionally, I had to bring exposure down by as many as 10 steps. I think that's about 3.3 EV. Most of the time, I set it 5 steps under to avoid over-exposure problems. The setting can be adjusted rather easily during taping ... :-)

I think your Optura 60 will do about the same, and I think you'll like it.

Jay Yuan May 23rd, 2005 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Vandehey
By mediocre I meant the review of the camera not the review itself :)

Does the software capture to un-compressed AVI?

I think so. I used the Nero Express to capture DV data in type-1 format. For a 7 min clip, the data is about 1.5 GB. After I convert it into DVX format, it's only 15 MB.

Because I used the LP mode, I worry I might have lost some data in the first place. Next time, I'll use SP mode unless I know it doesn't make any difference.

Dan Vandehey May 23rd, 2005 07:58 AM

Thanks for the help,

Chances are I will go with it, just have to wait for a little while. I will be sure to place my own review of it here too.

Sp vs Lp is one concern of mine too, but I can search on that one.

Thanks again

Jay Yuan May 23rd, 2005 08:57 AM

SP vs LP speed

I did some search in usenet groups. It seems that resolution is the same no matter SP or LP speed is used. The difference is the chance of drop-outs. SP should be less likely to drop anything while LP has an increased chance.

Any way, I suppose I'll use SP on school occasions, and LP for some less important events.

Cheers!

Cory Moorehead May 25th, 2005 05:54 AM

I actually just bought an Optura 60 from B&H.

All i can say is wow. The camera is pretty amazing. Sure its not the best camera in low light but what do you expect. Though ive used it outside and indors under normal light and i can honestly say the color and quality of the camera is superior to that of my GL2. I needed a smaller camera just to always have with me and now im using the Optura for everything. I highly recommened the camera.

Dan Vandehey May 30th, 2005 10:46 AM

So I went and Looked at one in the store, the sales lady said that Canon was going to be releasing 19 new models in the August or September, anyone know anything about this?

Tommy Haupfear May 30th, 2005 11:29 AM

Dan, new models are always on the horizon but in the beginning you'll be paying MSRP (or close to it) and stock will initially be scarce.

Is there a feature thats preventing you from a making a purchase now? Or do you have 5-6 months before making a purchase?

Dan Vandehey May 30th, 2005 01:46 PM

well, I have untill August to get it, but the sooner the better. I have something I would like to tape in July, but I can borrow a camera if I need to.

The only two thngs that are holding me back is the bad low light reviews, and the horrible placement of the jog wheel. Other than that, I think it is what I want. (I know, I am being way to picky)

Dell has it for $585 right now (with coupns) so it is at a good price.