DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Optura 30 accessories (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/46681-optura-30-accessories.html)

Matt Champagne June 23rd, 2005 12:59 PM

Optura 30 accessories

Does anyone know a good place to find Optura 30 accessories, in particular UV, neutral density, or step-up rings. I've been having alot of trouble because of that strange 34mm sized thread ring.

Curtis Rhoads June 23rd, 2005 01:29 PM

All of the accessories that I've purchased for my Optura 30 came from B&H.

I'm still trying to figure out why Canon went with such an odd sized thread for lense accessories.

Xander Christ June 23rd, 2005 09:17 PM

I wish the industry as a whole would follow some sort of standards for accessories like:

37mm for low-end consumer camcorders
58mm for upper-end camcorders
72mm for low-end professional camcorders

Geez... think how much cheaper wide angle adapters and filters would be if the companies only had three sizes to make!

Matt Champagne June 23rd, 2005 10:34 PM

I wish there was some sort of standardized size too...or at the very least I wish I could buy accessories for my camera at best buy (where I bought the camera itself)...it seems logical to me.

Patrick Jenkins June 24th, 2005 07:01 AM

Get a 34->37mm stepup adapter and then go nuts with cheap 37mm gear.

Philip Williams June 24th, 2005 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Champagne
Does anyone know a good place to find Optura 30 accessories, in particular UV, neutral density, or step-up rings. I've been having alot of trouble because of that strange 34mm sized thread ring.

I'll second the B&H Photo recommendation.

And of course, with all standard warnings and disclaimers, I've had pretty good luck getting components off Ebay. Particularly I've found affordable batteries and chargers for my Optura 30 and my wife's SD300 camera.

And as another poster mentioned, get a step-up ring and pretty much skip the 34mm accessories altogether.

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com

Matt Champagne July 7th, 2005 01:49 PM

I actually managed to find the 34 to 37mm adaptor yesterday (Boy was I excited.) Now an interesting question: Will the extra 2mm or so of distance that this ring creates cause a focus issue if I want to put a 37mm telephoto or wide angle lens? I assume its unlikely that it will....just want to make sure before I go and spend any money on a wide angle.

Philip Williams July 7th, 2005 01:52 PM

Quote:

I actually managed to find the 34 to 37mm adaptor yesterday (Boy was I excited.) Now an interesting question: Will the extra 2mm or so of distance that this ring creates cause a focus issue if I want to put a 37mm telephoto or wide angle lens? I assume its unlikely that it will....just want to make sure before I go and spend any money on a wide angle.

Will work fine.

Jason J. Gullickson July 13th, 2005 06:56 AM

Quote:

I actually managed to find the 34 to 37mm adaptor yesterday (Boy was I excited.)

Where did you find one?

Patrick Jenkins July 13th, 2005 07:01 AM

You can get them at Bestbuy along with either a Cokin ND8 or UV filter (I forget which). The filter is 37mm and comes with a 34-37 step up.

Jason J. Gullickson July 13th, 2005 07:37 AM

Wow, I guess I never thought about looking there :)

Thanks!

Matt Champagne July 13th, 2005 11:49 AM

well it depends...that is where I found mine, but I checked there for about a month or so before I ended up seeing one...and there was only one on the shelf

Eric Hovis July 11th, 2007 01:58 AM

accessories

For my Optura 30 accessories, I got a couple of lens hoods on ebay, an LCD hood from Hoodman, and a set of UV, Polarized, and Indoor Light lens filters from another store online whose name eludes me. Any 34 mm set works, I've found.

I'm a college student without much money, and that's why I made my first feature film using my handy Canon Optura 30. It works so well that I even had the characters in my movie using the same camcorder (I have two). If you're interested in seeing Optura 30 footage and screen grabs (most of which are unadjusted), then check out this page on my indie filmmaking web site. The image size is reduced from the original 873 pixels wide to 600 wide:

http://murrayfilms.net/page/primary/...matography.htm

For optura footage, check the Watch Movies page for the trailer for my movie, I Love Ashley Bailey, but keep in mind the trailer is compressed and that I've since learned to get even more out of the Optura 30. I highly, highly recommend this camcorder. Don't let anyone trick you into thinking you need to spend more than $500 to produce professional quality video.