DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon Optura Junior Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/)
-   -   Optura Xi and 60. Longevity and Upgrades. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-optura-junior-watchdog/46981-optura-xi-60-longevity-upgrades.html)

John Unger June 29th, 2005 04:01 PM

Optura Xi and 60. Longevity and Upgrades.

I have been going back and forth between these two. So similar. Just wanted a few opinions as to which offers the more lenses, attachments, accesories for the future. Will it be more difficult to find enhancements for one as opposed to the other?

Dave Perry June 29th, 2005 04:25 PM

I use the Xi and think it has a better lens, but not sure about that. I also prefer the Xi's form factor.

Michael Wisniewski June 29th, 2005 07:07 PM

Congratulations! Looks like you went with the Optura 60 (click here).

John Unger June 30th, 2005 11:32 PM

Well, we bought the computer, but still contemplated the camera. It is down to the Optura 60 and Xi. It is a tough call.

We though about the Xi first because of the RGB filter, seemingly better lens, and the larger form factor. Then I hear about the Optura 60 being basically the same thing, but with a 14x optical zoom (vs 11x on Xi, no biggie) but smaller form factor.

Even though the Xi is older, is there anything I will really be missing by not getting the 60? I like the large form factor and LCD, but at what cost?

Chris Hurd July 1st, 2005 01:54 PM

When shooting in 16:9 (native!), the Op60 will properly letterbox the viewfinder wiewfinder whereas the Xi will not. The Op60 is a lot newer than the Xi. Frankly I think you're better off with the Op60.

Michael Wisniewski July 1st, 2005 03:51 PM

I agree go for the 60. I think you'll miss the 60's new features over the Xi's form factor and large LCD.

The top loading cassette is another big plus.

John Unger July 1st, 2005 09:52 PM

Done Deal! Optura 60 is on its way from B&H. Thanks you all for adivce and help. That's why I come here.

Jay Yuan July 2nd, 2005 11:21 AM

I bought the optura 50 (no USB2, 10x zoom), which is mostly the same as the 60 (USB2, 14X zoom). The most important feature for me is the ability to control exposure manually. I want to shoot stage performance. Without manual control of exposure, I'd get mostly garbage. With this optura 50, I get very good result. If I have an unlimited budget, I'd go for a GL or XL, I suppose. But, for now, the optura 50 is just fine. I am sure you'll like your optura 60 ... :-)

Chris Hurd July 2nd, 2005 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Yuan
Without manual control of exposure, I'd get mostly garbage.

No you wouldn't. The program AE mode (labeled auto) is actually pretty smart and it'll give you very good results. It's great to have manual exposure control, but it's also a mistake to think that you can't get a good image from the Auto mode. That's just not true. These camcorders are fine in full auto (that is, the program AE mode, not the "green box" mode).

John Unger July 2nd, 2005 01:41 PM

Jay, what type of filming are you using your camera for? Is it just personal use or have you done some events? Just curious is you might have some footage.

NEVERMIND: I found an earlier post explaining your usage. Sorry

Jay Yuan July 2nd, 2005 01:44 PM

OK. I exaggerated it when I said auto exposure result in just garbage. You can get fair quality videos with the program mode on most camcorders. To make that kind of video, I'd consider other camcorders ($200-400 range) instead of Opturas.

Harold Tully July 2nd, 2005 03:18 PM

Hey guys just my 2 cents, but i tried the op 60 and the elura 85 and the 85 beat it hands down when light was getting low, perhaps the optic stabilization in the 60 cuts too much light. So anyways i went with the 85, not quite as many manual controls but at least i can use when the light gets low :) and far as i could tell both have excellent picture quality :) maybe the 85 is a little better ;)

John Unger July 2nd, 2005 09:07 PM

Say I am filming a birthday party indooors, average light, with an Optura 60. Would adding a light to the hot-shoe help, or would it wash the image out or decrease the quality?

Michael Wisniewski July 2nd, 2005 09:59 PM

Yes, adding light in any way, shape, or form will help your video image in that environment.

Jay Yuan July 3rd, 2005 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold Tully
Hey guys just my 2 cents, but i tried the op 60 and the elura 85 and the 85 beat it hands down when light was getting low, perhaps the optic stabilization in the 60 cuts too much light. So anyways i went with the 85, not quite as many manual controls but at least i can use when the light gets low :) and far as i could tell both have excellent picture quality :) maybe the 85 is a little better ;)

If you mount the camcorder on a tripod, you should turn off the OIS. That's what I did when I taped a stage performance.

I have tried with OIS on and off in indoor situations. The exposure does not seem to be affected by the OIS. I suppose the elura has a smaller CCD for a given aperture, thus, is able to capture light better. Also, the internal program might have slowed shutter speed to gain more exposure. On the optura, you could use the night mode to get this effect.