Optura Xi and 60. Longevity and Upgrades. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old June 29th, 2005, 04:01 PM   #1
New Boot

Optura Xi and 60. Longevity and Upgrades.

I have been going back and forth between these two. So similar. Just wanted a few opinions as to which offers the more lenses, attachments, accesories for the future. Will it be more difficult to find enhancements for one as opposed to the other?
Old June 29th, 2005, 04:25 PM   #2
Major Player

I use the Xi and think it has a better lens, but not sure about that. I also prefer the Xi's form factor.
Old June 29th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #3
Wrangler

Congratulations! Looks like you went with the Optura 60 (click here).
Old June 30th, 2005, 11:32 PM   #4
New Boot

Well, we bought the computer, but still contemplated the camera. It is down to the Optura 60 and Xi. It is a tough call.

We though about the Xi first because of the RGB filter, seemingly better lens, and the larger form factor. Then I hear about the Optura 60 being basically the same thing, but with a 14x optical zoom (vs 11x on Xi, no biggie) but smaller form factor.

Even though the Xi is older, is there anything I will really be missing by not getting the 60? I like the large form factor and LCD, but at what cost?
Old July 1st, 2005, 01:54 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

When shooting in 16:9 (native!), the Op60 will properly letterbox the viewfinder wiewfinder whereas the Xi will not. The Op60 is a lot newer than the Xi. Frankly I think you're better off with the Op60.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:51 PM   #6
Wrangler

I agree go for the 60. I think you'll miss the 60's new features over the Xi's form factor and large LCD.

The top loading cassette is another big plus.
Old July 1st, 2005, 09:52 PM   #7
New Boot

Done Deal! Optura 60 is on its way from B&H. Thanks you all for adivce and help. That's why I come here.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:21 AM   #8
New Boot

I bought the optura 50 (no USB2, 10x zoom), which is mostly the same as the 60 (USB2, 14X zoom). The most important feature for me is the ability to control exposure manually. I want to shoot stage performance. Without manual control of exposure, I'd get mostly garbage. With this optura 50, I get very good result. If I have an unlimited budget, I'd go for a GL or XL, I suppose. But, for now, the optura 50 is just fine. I am sure you'll like your optura 60 ... :-)
Old July 2nd, 2005, 11:32 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Yuan
Without manual control of exposure, I'd get mostly garbage.
No you wouldn't. The program AE mode (labeled auto) is actually pretty smart and it'll give you very good results. It's great to have manual exposure control, but it's also a mistake to think that you can't get a good image from the Auto mode. That's just not true. These camcorders are fine in full auto (that is, the program AE mode, not the "green box" mode).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:41 PM   #10
New Boot

Jay, what type of filming are you using your camera for? Is it just personal use or have you done some events? Just curious is you might have some footage.

NEVERMIND: I found an earlier post explaining your usage. Sorry
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:44 PM   #11
New Boot

OK. I exaggerated it when I said auto exposure result in just garbage. You can get fair quality videos with the program mode on most camcorders. To make that kind of video, I'd consider other camcorders ($200-400 range) instead of Opturas.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 03:18 PM   #12
New Boot

Hey guys just my 2 cents, but i tried the op 60 and the elura 85 and the 85 beat it hands down when light was getting low, perhaps the optic stabilization in the 60 cuts too much light. So anyways i went with the 85, not quite as many manual controls but at least i can use when the light gets low :) and far as i could tell both have excellent picture quality :) maybe the 85 is a little better ;)
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:07 PM   #13
New Boot

Say I am filming a birthday party indooors, average light, with an Optura 60. Would adding a light to the hot-shoe help, or would it wash the image out or decrease the quality?
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:59 PM   #14
Wrangler

Yes, adding light in any way, shape, or form will help your video image in that environment.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 06:50 AM   #15
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Tully
Hey guys just my 2 cents, but i tried the op 60 and the elura 85 and the 85 beat it hands down when light was getting low, perhaps the optic stabilization in the 60 cuts too much light. So anyways i went with the 85, not quite as many manual controls but at least i can use when the light gets low :) and far as i could tell both have excellent picture quality :) maybe the 85 is a little better ;)
If you mount the camcorder on a tripod, you should turn off the OIS. That's what I did when I taped a stage performance.

I have tried with OIS on and off in indoor situations. The exposure does not seem to be affected by the OIS. I suppose the elura has a smaller CCD for a given aperture, thus, is able to capture light better. Also, the internal program might have slowed shutter speed to gain more exposure. On the optura, you could use the night mode to get this effect.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog