Anyone using the "original" Cannon Optura? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old November 2nd, 2002, 02:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Anyone using the "original" Cannon Optura?

I own one and would like some input on how it's working for you and what type of pictures your getting under different conditions.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 04:11 PM   #2
Warden

Use the search function for viewing some different thoughts on the Optura. It is generally well thought of around here. I sold mine back in April and I regret it. Best single chip camera, in my opinion. It has been said here before, (and I'll second it) that the Optura has the closest look to the XL1 in a single chip camera.

Jeff
Old November 2nd, 2002, 07:29 PM   #3
Trustee

I agree. I sold my optura to buy a gl1 a few years back (no regrets), but a friend of mine just got a 100mc, and I couldn't believe how dumbed down it was from the original...plus no progressive mode. I've heard that the Pi version was even better, but they discontinued it too.

It was a great first camera for me, and the image quality was outstanding, except in low light.

Barry
Old November 2nd, 2002, 07:50 PM   #4
Warden

I'm sorry, that's the one I'm talking about - Optura Pi. Best single chip camera ever made.

Jeff
Old November 2nd, 2002, 08:39 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Before the Optura 100MC and 200MC, there was "the original" Optura back in '97 which looked like an SLR still photo camera. Then came the Optura Pi. Now the Pi, that thing was truly the Cadillac of all 1-chippers. I'm actually lucky enough to own one, and you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers. I wish they'd bring it back, and up to date with a few minor changes. Only complaints are, the FireWire and Control-L jacks are behind the flip-out LCD. Other than that, it's perfect.

Steve -- images: on a clear day in good light, my Pi will just about match my 1998 XL1. They're very close. The Pi has a special secret weapon, which is an RGB color filter. Most 1-chip consumer camcorders have a CMYK color filter. The primary color filter on the Pi makes all the difference in the world and gets close to approximating the look of a three-chip camera.

Older Elura models had RBG filters. The new Elura 40MC does not, however.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 2nd, 2002, 09:01 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Chris,

But I have the "orignal" Optura (not the pi) and it seems I'm having some problems with "blooming" whites.

Seems I can shoot some of the most viewed events in the world for TV with a Betacam but I have problems with my own camcorder...go figure huh...
Old November 2nd, 2002, 09:07 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Well, the "original" Optura was Canon's first foray into DV... their very first camcorder ever (followed by the Canon ZR, it looked like a big pack of cigarettes). That first Optura was famous for its Digital Motor Drive (same thing as Frame Movie mode) but notorius for poor low-light performance.

Y'know Steve, that camera is practically a collector's item. They command an excellent price when sold used. People love them because they don't look like a camcorder, but like an SLR photo camera. It's the ultimate covert operations cam. If you decide to sell it (I bet you could get $800 for it easily), you might be in a position to trade up -- hopefully into an Optura Pi if you can find one (about $900 when found new-in-box).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old November 2nd, 2002, 09:21 PM   #8
Warden

The "Originals" first Christmas, it was a hot camera. If you could find it, it sold for around $3500. Nothing else (Sony VX1000 being the exception) compared to it. It was quickly replaced by the ZR for the next Christmas ('98). Contrary to what Frank may say (my recollection is for the Midwest Area) it (ZR) was a popular seller because of it's size.

Jeff
Old November 2nd, 2002, 09:25 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Wow...I didn't know that! Very cool..but...we ARE looking at a Panasonic 24p if we do anything at all. I doubt if I'll ever let it go. I use it on the Jib a lot when I have to and, with good light it works fine for the non-broadcast stuff. For cable things "I" shoot, I use it all the time.

Covert stuff huh...now my mind is really going into overdrive....and to think of all the things I "could" have done...
Old December 12th, 2002, 09:53 PM   #10
Tourist

Sorry to bring this old post up, but I was doing a search and noticed the post.

I too own the original Optura (Well, MV1, the Pal version) too. I absolutly love the layout and look of the camera. It has been mistaken for an SLR so many times! The camera has been all around the world with me, and has served me well.

I really don't want to get rid of it, but need some money to upgrade to either a used TRV-900 or used XM1 (Pal GL1). Would I really be able to fetch around that much money for my Optura? Or even remotely close? I was originaly going to sell it for about $300 US.

Also, what would people here choose? The TRV900 or the GL1? I have seen conflicting reports as to which is better for Outdoor action videos.

Thanks,
Josh
Old December 12th, 2002, 10:07 PM   #11
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I must have missed this post. I also have the original Optura (looks like a 35mm cam) and also am hard-pressed to part with it even though I haven't used it for quite some time. Yes, it gained-up in poor light but it really shoots very good footage in reasonable light. It certainly has a big ol' lens for a 1-chipper.

Perhaps its most pressing problem is the design of the battery compartment which can only accommodate a small (BP-915?) Canon battery.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Old December 12th, 2002, 11:12 PM   #12
Tourist

Yes, I have had to buy four of the BP-914 batteries for the camera. I can still shoot for a considerable amount of time with them, but is a little annoying being restricted to the smaller capacity batteries.
Old December 14th, 2002, 09:40 PM   #13
Outer Circle

Josh, don't get rid of your Optura. They don't make cams like that anymore. And the same goes for the Optura PI and GR-DVL9500. Did I miss any? Oh, the Pana EZ1.
Old December 14th, 2002, 10:34 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Just FYI...they bring about $500.00 - $600.00 (average) on EBAY
for the Optura.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog