true progressive scan cameras??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old July 13th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #1
Tourist

true progressive scan cameras???

Hello all, our small R&D company has two of the original Opturas and they have worked great for 7 years. The (true) progressive scan is very nice for what we do. We video our fluid mixing experiments with them, and being able to step through frame by frame on a PC and see crisp 30p images is very important.

We now need a couple more cameras and I am having troubles finding a true PS camera. We don't need the sophistication (and price) of a 3 chip such as the XL2. Apparantly the Optura XI isn't true PS either (plus the bottom tape loading is a problem as we use tripods all the time). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers - Andrew
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Progressive scan cams are far and few inbetween these days. The resolution is a little less but have you considered frame mode? Then you could consider some of the sub $2000 cams like Panasonic AG-DVC30, GL2, PV-DV953, PV-GS400. I just purchased a JVC GR-DV3000U which is now discontinued but has a feature similar to progressive scan as you can see in the link below:

Click here
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:47 PM   #3
Wrangler

Perhaps you could look for a used Optura Pi or two.
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #4
Tourist

Hmmm...so if I am to forget about prog scan and settle for a frame mode camera how would the Optura 50 stack up? I wouldn't mind sticking with Canons. Oh and time is at a premium so looking for a used PI is kinda out of the question unfortunately :(
Old July 13th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

A Optura Pi

Hi Andrew,

I have an Optura Pi that I am willing to sell. I just sent it to Canon for service in May. They Cleaned and replaced the chassis including recording head,as I understand it. Also they checked all functions, recording, audio and play back and set to factory specks. I have only used it long enough to verify all functions. They warranted for three months. That began June23,05. I have all their paper work.

If you will look In these threads under Optura. I sent a thread telling about my experience with Canon and how pleased I am with my dealing with them.

If you are interested
I am

Bob J. Trimmer
bdtrimmer@connpoint.net
541-773-7841

Last edited by Bob J. Trimmer; July 13th, 2005 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Hi Andrew
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:37 PM   #6
Wrangler

Your best bet for frame mode are the DV953 or GS400. The newer Opturas don't have any sort of frame mode.

The new Opturas do seem to have a progressive mode, but the catch is, you have to record to hard disk, while the camcorder is in photo mode. Here's another thread on that subject (click here)
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #7
Wrangler

Feel free to make an offer on my brand new JVC GR-DV3000U. I just received it today but I'm always looking to deal.
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #8
Tourist

Thanks for the replies everyone! And thanks for the offers on the various cameras however my boss would prefer we buy new for the company. Locally at the consumer retail shops I can't find any of the cameras listed above, the only one that I think may work is the Panasonic PV-GS250 (and it's available). The salesman says it works in some sort of fram mode, but I can't seem to see anything on the Panasonic website confirming that. Can anyone shed some light?

Cheers - A
Old July 13th, 2005, 07:54 PM   #9
Wrangler

Andrew, I'm not 100% certain but I don't think the GS250 has frame mode. btw - My DV3000U is brand new I broke the seal on the box just an hour ago. It was a rare find indeed!
Old July 14th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Spence
...the only one that I think may work is the Panasonic PV-GS250 (and it's available). The salesman says it works in some sort of fram mode, but I can't seem to see anything on the Panasonic website confirming that. Can anyone shed some light?
Yeah, the sales guy is full of crap. Seriously, unless Panasonic hid a frame mode feature in the 250 and that sales guy is the only person that discovered it, you need to move on.

I think the GS400 is probably the cheapest cam right now with frame mode. I'd recommend ordering from www.bhphotovideo.com or if its substantially cheaper from www.digitalfotoclub.com. Order today with 2nd day shipping and you'll probably have your camera right after this weekend.

Good luck!

Philip Williams
www.philipwilliams.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog