Optura 20 Problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:29 AM   #1
Tourist

Optura 20 Problem

My apologies if this thread is not in the correct category. Lately I've been having a problem with my Canon Optura 20. When I power the camera on (in record mode) the video seems to be laggy (it lags just enough to where if I wave my hand infront of it real fast that it takes about a split second for my camera to pick up the motion). The video also seems to have problems picking up bright light, or just most light at all.

The way the video acts resembles the way the camera performs when it is in Lowlight mode.

More info on the problem:

-Problem occurs about 70% of the time I turn on my camera.

-I have tried powering the camera on with and without the lens cap already on, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

-Problem occurs in both 'Easy recording' and 'Program AE' (those are the two settings on the camcorder... 'Easy recording' makes pretty much everthing automatic.

-When the problem is occuring I cannot activate the exposure button. The button seems to be 'dead'. Also, when I change from "Auto" to "Sports" or "Portrait" to "Lowlight" etc. there is no visible difference, as if the camera is just ignoring the command.

-When I record the video and watch in VCR mode, the problem still appears in the playback.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 09:06 AM   #2
Wrangler

Have your vendor replace it, or, send it to Canon for repair. The Optura is definitely not working properly.

Here's a link to the Optura 20 support page
Old July 25th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #3
Tourist

Well I played around with my camera and I think I discovered the source of the problem, but why the camera only started responding to this lately is kind of strange.

When I turned the camera on today for the first time, it worked fine. When I turned the camera on while it was pointed in the direction of a bright light/window, it was again acting strange. I powered off the camera and powered it back on while the lens cap was on, and it was working fine again.

I tried this test one more time, but when I went to turn it back on with the lens cap on, it was still acting strange. Maybe the camera just has to be off for a few minutes if it has taken in "too much light" perhaps? Either way, I still need to send the camera in. My tripod socket is stripped.

*Edit: After waiting several minutes I turned the camera back on and it seemed to be working fine.
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Tourist

I have the same problem. Do you fix the problem? I don't find any solution yet. Thanks in advance.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Tourist

Well...

Well as I mentioned a few months ago when I posted this problem, my tripod socket was stripped so I had to send it to their place in New Jersey for repair. I sent it up there before Katrina, but didn't get it for a while afterwards because I'm in the "disaster area".... so it was away for about a month.

But cutting to the chase, the problem is now solved. I think when they cleaned the camera (which they do automatically with repair) it fixed it. Oh and it cost me $170 for the entire repair (tripod socket replace and clean).

Good luck.
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:54 AM   #6
Tourist

Thanks!, is a good info.
Old December 25th, 2005, 06:45 PM   #7
Tourist

Problem Cause ???

I am having the same problem with my Optura 20 - do you have any description from Canon Service Center as to what has been done, beyond simply cleaning it??
Thank you,

Igor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Brilleaux
Well as I mentioned a few months ago when I posted this problem, my tripod socket was stripped so I had to send it to their place in New Jersey for repair. I sent it up there before Katrina, but didn't get it for a while afterwards because I'm in the "disaster area".... so it was away for about a month.

But cutting to the chase, the problem is now solved. I think when they cleaned the camera (which they do automatically with repair) it fixed it. Oh and it cost me $170 for the entire repair (tripod socket replace and clean).

Good luck.
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #8
Tourist

Well they reported "tripod socket replaced"

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog