My Optura... a work in progress. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old August 24th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

My Optura... a work in progress.

I've upgraded my Optura Xi a little including a AT-897 mic and a homemade 35mm adapter. Next step is a used tripod. Anyway here's a pic of my Optura. https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/Fullcam.jpg
I'm curious to see if anyone else has "supped up" their Optura. Please post pics of your rig for others to admire.
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM   #2
Wrangler

Nice setup. I should take a few pics myself.

How are you connecting the AT897 to the camcorder?
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have a XLR-BP by Studio One that I use to connect the mic to the camera. It works nicely and was cheaper than the beachtek.
Old August 26th, 2005, 02:12 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Do you have any trouble feeding the 35mm adapter enough light? I want to get an M2 for my Optura 60, but I'm not sure if it's going to work out. The camera struggles in even moderate light as it is. One thing I've noticed with those adapters is it's real easy to lose shadow detail even with much more light sensitive cameras.
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I actually did a low light test last night with the new adapter.

https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/w...ght%20Test.mov

The biggest factor is the gg. I have to use a +10 macro, but after that it works great.
Old September 2nd, 2005, 07:59 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Stearns
I've upgraded my Optura Xi a little including a AT-897 mic and a homemade 35mm adapter. Next step is a used tripod. Anyway here's a pic of my Optura. https://webspace.utexas.edu/rjs539/www/Fullcam.jpg
I'm curious to see if anyone else has "supped up" their Optura. Please post pics of your rig for others to admire.

Like the footage! Willing to share you adapter plans with the rest of us by any chance?
I actually own an XL2 but also have 2 of the first model Opturas with the progressive scan capability. A fellow XL' owner/buddy of mine thinks I'm, nuts when I tell him I'm going to do some of my shorts with these little guys.
I absolutely love em'. I've never seen so many high end features packed into such a tiny camcorder. Manual focus, exposure, shutter, Lanc control, Progressive Scan. S-video, firewire input, etc, etc.
Do the new Opturas have all this stuff? Crazy...
Old September 3rd, 2005, 04:12 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Brown
Like the footage! Willing to share you adapter plans with the rest of us by any chance?
I actually own an XL2 but also have 2 of the first model Opturas with the progressive scan capability. A fellow XL' owner/buddy of mine thinks I'm, nuts when I tell him I'm going to do some of my shorts with these little guys.
I absolutely love em'. I've never seen so many high end features packed into such a tiny camcorder. Manual focus, exposure, shutter, Lanc control, Progressive Scan. S-video, firewire input, etc, etc.
Do the new Opturas have all this stuff? Crazy...
The new Opturas are super except for one key feature (well, key to me): Progressive Scan. On every other front, they provide superb manual controls for the money. What other cam offers manual audio and manual focus ring for just over 500 bucks?
Old September 4th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Sweet. Love my Canons.
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley Stearns

Nice!

I've got tricked out Opturas also and I'll try to get some pics of them.

(DIY focus, mattebox, sunshade, handheld & shoulder+battery mounts+shotguns, 1 has a 35mm WIP 35mm adapter (RedRock based), etc etc)
Old September 11th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I'm curious to see how your cams look. Did you mention you have a DIY Follow Focus?
Old September 12th, 2005, 08:16 AM   #11
Major Player

Yeah, it's very simple (and goofy) but it works. Someone posted a link to this once and I went with the idea:
http://www.tabletools.com/tabletools...strongboy.html

I found something similar to it at a local kitchen shop. I had to modify it a bit, but it works.
Old September 12th, 2005, 12:57 PM   #12
Major Player

Perhaps there should be a "Pimp my Optura" section. No, really...
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #13
Major Player

Here's mine.
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:43 PM   #14
Major Player

Nice hood! I see there's more than one of us in the 'black duct tape works everywhere' club!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog