Optura Pi questions - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old March 18th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #31
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
<snip>The newer EIS is almost as good as OIS was on the Pi. <snip>
Just an FYI, the Optura 50/60 actually do have OIS. The 30/40 had EIS.

www.philipwilliams.com
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:00 AM   #32
Obstreperous Rex

Quite right Phillip, but the Optura S1 and 600 (both newer than the 50 and 60) have EIS.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:01 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Quite right Phillip, but the Optura S1 and 600 (both newer than the 50 and 60) have EIS.
Wish Canon would just make up their mind :)
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #34
Tourist

Optura Pi

I haven't figured out how to start my own thread (I'm new at this). What motivated me to join the forum was to ask about the Optura Pi. My mother recently brought me an Optura Pi to put on Ebay and sell for her. I know nothing about camcorders, but enough about Ebay to be intrigued that there were no Optura Pi's for sale. I've learned from this forum that although the Pi may be a few years old, that it is appreciated. The one I've got, looks like it was never or very lightly used. It's got the manual and a carrying case and all the wiring and such. Since all these cameras look the same to me, I assumed this was just an older camera that I could sell for a hundred dollars or that I would buy from my Mom for cheap and use for family camera. From what I read, this kind of use might be doing a disservice to the camera. I saw earlier in this thread that someone indicated that used Pi's presently sell for under 500-600. My question is what value should I expect when I sell it? I appreciate any feedback and apologize for using this thread to pose this question.
Old March 27th, 2006, 09:23 AM   #35
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Greg,

I've moved your post into a new thread. Our members should be able to help you establish a reasonable price for your Pi. As a Pi owner myself, I believe the camcorder, if it's in perfect working order, should fetch about $500 but hopefully others here will have some input for you on this.

Old March 27th, 2006, 12:06 PM   #36
Major Player

Hi Greg, as you noted, the Optura Pi is rarely seen on Ebay. A couple reasons, firstly being that most Pi owners aren't interested in selling! Try finding a new camcorder that does 30P progressive scan and its easy to see why...
Secondly, there's always a market for it, so when they show up on Ebay they pretty much always sell. Its not one of those products that people keep having to re-list for weeks on end.
Thirdly, well frankly, I don't think Canon made that many of them.

Now as for sale value on Ebay, that's going to also be dependent on your Ebay account to an extent. I've seen guys with 10 feedback sell something for $100 that a guy with 300 feedback moves for $170. With that caveat in mind, just use the Ebay "Advanced Search" and check the box for "Completed Items Only" (or something very similar). That will pull up completed auctions only and you can gauge what people have been getting for Pi's lately. I'm gonna say that a mint camera with manual from a reputable seller should fetch between $375-450 on Ebay.

That's just based off memory from about a year ago when I was looking for a Pi on Ebay. I'd say that if one wishes to sell a Pi, now is probably a good time. I think there's going to be pressure on niche cams like the Pi as affordable HD cams come out.

Good luck!

www.philipwilliams.com
Old March 28th, 2006, 05:58 AM   #37
Inner Circle

The Canon Optura Pi and the JVC DVL9800U (a similar 30p consumer camera) do fetch a premium on eBay. I got one of each last year to do some experimenting.
Old March 28th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #38
Tourist

Thank you

Thank you for your responses. This forum sounds like it contains a great group of thoughtful and kind people.

Greg Cantwell
Old March 31st, 2006, 08:23 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Send it to Canon and Get and Estimate

I've had very good luck with the West Coast Canon repair.

Send it to them for an estimate. I bet it will come in closer to $200. And you should have it back in 3 weeks.

-Tom-
Old April 2nd, 2006, 12:06 PM   #40
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Williams
EIS vs. OIS... wish Canon would just make up their mind :)
Image quality used to take a hit with EIS, but EIS technology has dramatically improved in recent years. It's now very good, and commonly Canon chooses it for their smaller form factor camcorders such as the Optura 600 and S1.

Old April 27th, 2006, 05:30 PM   #41
Tourist

Canon Factory Service to the rescue!

Hi All,
Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. Just to update you on my Optura Pi, I finally decided to send it in to Canon West Coast Factory Service. Lo and behold, they were able to fix everything for a mere $62 + shipping! And I mean everything. Here's what the service details say: replaced main chassis assy/slide chassis assy/drive gear and idler gear assy/ cleaned and checked/ etc.

Don't know why I didn't send it to Canon first--I guess I tend to assume that the Manufacturer is always going to be more expensive. But not this time. I am thrilled to have the Pi back and working beautifully, and even more thrilled that I don't have to go shopping for its replacement quite yet!

Donna
Old April 27th, 2006, 06:00 PM   #42
Major Player

Excellent! Yes, Canon has great service. I’m relieved that you got your Optura Pi fixed; I know I still love mine and will keep it until they pry it from my cold, dead fingers… (or until I just decide to get rid of it, but that doesn't sound as dramatic) ;-)
Old April 27th, 2006, 08:44 PM   #43
Major Player

Nice to hear a story with a happy ending! Its good to know that Canon came through on an older model with a reasonable repair bill.

www.philipwilliams.com

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog