Optura 60 in the snow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old November 30th, 2005, 09:15 AM   #1
New Boot

Optura 60 in the snow

I am going out west in a few weeks to do some backcountry snowmobiling. I have never used my Optura in the snow before. Would you guys recommend any filters or do you think the snow setting on the Optura will be the best way to go? I will be riding at 9000 to 11,000 feet and the snow gets really bright up there.

Also I was told that there is an optional tele lens for the Optura. If I get one of those would that effect my image stabilization at all?

Thank you for the help.

Jon
Old November 30th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #2
Skyonic New York

get an nd filter for shooting snow it will grey out snow so you won't blow it out...

a tele will kill ois especially if your shooting on the back of a snowmobile, my advice is get a wide angle lens it will help ois
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:47 PM   #3
Wrangler

If it's really cold up there, bring extra batteries, and something to keep the battery warm or you'll experience very short battery life.

I've used the Optura Xi's snow setting successfully in a variety of snow conditions and am quite pleased with it, but I think Robert's suggestion of using an ND filter will give you superior results. An ND with a polarizer should give you some stunning results.
Old December 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Michael,
Why the polarizer? Is that for the sky or the snow?
Old December 3rd, 2005, 10:14 PM   #5
Wrangler

The polarizer for the sky and the ND for snow.
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #6
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mann Z.
get an nd filter for shooting snow it will grey out snow so you won't blow it out...
Optura has got an ND filter built in, snow settings will probably give you the best results. I tested different settings on the beach and the beach preset was the best one of them, it takes quite a while to get similar effect manually.
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:37 PM   #7
Skyonic New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasenko Blazevic
Optura has got an ND filter built in, snow settings will probably give you the best results. I tested different settings on the beach and the beach preset was the best one of them, it takes quite a while to get similar effect manually.
the built in nd filter is an electronic digital nd filter not even close to the real thing...

get a glass nd filter, put the cam on manual exposure, and shoot away...
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #8
Inner Circle

How do you know its digital? Is there a way to engage the ND filter on the Optura 60 by the way, or does it just come on automatically?
Old December 4th, 2005, 08:55 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Mann Z.

a tele will kill ois especially if your shooting on the back of a snowmobile, my advice is get a wide angle lens it will help ois

What is a nd filter? What does the nd stand for?
Thanks,
Jon
Old December 5th, 2005, 03:27 AM   #10
Skyonic New York

the Neutral Density filter is part of the custom function option on the optura 60, turning it on will do little...its a digital effect

the optura also has a seprate nd filter setting for still photos or shooting video to the sd card...this can be set to on or off, if on it goes into auto mode...if you still have your manual you will notice canon recommends getting a screw on glass nd filter if your shooting video to minidv tape

basically an nd filter blocks light, but allows you to keep the shutter/aperture the same...so you can shoot outside but keep a shallow dof...below are some examples of how much light you can block, ther are also split nd filters, great for landscapes

0.3 ND filter
1 f-stop

0.6 ND filter
2 f-stops

0.9 ND filter
3 f-stops

1.2 ND filter
4 f-stops
Old December 5th, 2005, 07:26 AM   #11
New Boot

Ok. That makes sense to me now.

Thank you.
Old December 5th, 2005, 08:32 AM   #12
Inner Circle

"the Neutral Density filter is part of the custom function option on the optura 60, turning it on will do little...its a digital effect"

This function doesn't seem to be available for video, only the still camera mode. Am I missing something?
Old December 6th, 2005, 12:51 PM   #13
Wrangler

The built-in ND filter is only available in photo mode. In addition, it's not a manual function; it automatically engages when over exposure is detected by the camera. There are only 2 settings: Auto and Off.

The snow/beach settings overexpose the background, so that your subjects are not underexposed, but, for the best results, use a polarizer and an ND filter.
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #14
Skyonic New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco Leavitt
"
This function doesn't seem to be available for video, only the still camera mode. Am I missing something?
ahh yes my mistake, its not an nd filter but a digital neutral filter, useless in any case as a glass nd substitute...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog