Optura 50 vs. Sony HDR-HC3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog

Canon Optura Junior Watchdog
High-end affordable consumer 1-CCD camcorders. PAL users invited!

Old March 1st, 2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Optura 50 vs. Sony HDR-HC3

I plan to shoot some short, experimental videos, initially for web sharing and film festivals. I have a Canon ZR 85 but will use it for rough footage and as a deck.

For the biggest bang for the creative buck, would you choose the $450 sale-priced Optura 50 or the soon-to-be-released Sony consumer High Def HC3, though I would wait till the price drops from its $1700 debut?

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/+INT...efinitionVideo

Grateful thanks!

Dorothy
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

re

All I can say you is go for the HDR-HC1 while it is abalible.
Old March 1st, 2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Wrangler

If you need more control over the camera to be creative, you're better off with the Optura 50, or in the HDV realm, take a look at the Sony HC1 or the A1U.

The HC3 in its' base configuration is consumer oriented, giving you less control over the camcorder.

* fyi: The ZR can only be used as a deck for SD tapes, it won't work with an HDV recording.
Old March 1st, 2006, 08:59 PM   #4
Major Player

The HC3 doesn't even have a mic input :( I think its got an interactive hot shoe that might work with Sony's proprietary mics..

Like the others said, get an HC1 while you still can. These can easily be had for 1500 bucks at reputable dealers (though I expect stocks to deplete and/or prices to increase quickly).

Of course, you could always hold out for.... the Optura HDV!!! Ok ok, I can't confirm that, but I highly suspect it.

Good luck with your projects!

www.philipwilliams.com
Old March 2nd, 2006, 02:10 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Wisniewski
If you need more control over the camera to be creative, you're better off with the Optura 50, or in the HDV realm, take a look at the Sony HC1 or the A1U.

The HC3 in its' base configuration is consumer oriented, giving you less control over the camcorder.

* fyi: The ZR can only be used as a deck for SD tapes, it won't work with an HDV recording.
Thank you, all! Michael for your Optura 50 recommendation and Alex and Philip for suggesting the Sony HC1...and Optura HD release (maybe, baby!!)

If I shoot in SD, how much better and crisper will the Sony footage be over the Optura's?

Thanks, again!

Dorothy
Old March 2nd, 2006, 04:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
If you need more control over the camera to be creative, you're better off with the Optura 50..."
Michael, I'm grateful for your recommendation and plan to order an Optura 50. Could you also recommend a mike, video light, accessories, etc.

The Optura 50 is such an affordable package and seems perfect for the kind of experimental videos I want to do. Thanks, again, so much!!

Dorothy
Old March 2nd, 2006, 05:31 PM   #7
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Engleman
... recommend a mike, video light, accessories ...
Tell us what you're trying to do and your budget so it will be easier to recommend specific accessories. Also see the Optura FAQ for a listing of different accessories.

Personally, I'd wait until you've had the camcorder awhile before looking seriously at accessories, there are many, many different combinations you may need and it can get expensive very fast.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 01:47 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Tell us what you're trying to do and your budget so it will be easier to recommend specific accessories. Also see the Optura FAQ for a listing of different accessories.

Personally, I'd wait until you've had the camcorder awhile before looking seriously at accessories, there are many, many different combinations you may need and it can get expensive very fast.
Michael, thanks for your help and advice. Your Optura FAQ is terrific! Wow! OK, I will wait to accessorize :-))

What do I want to do? Well, I previously wrote, edited, directed and produced in conjuction with the City's cable station. My last show was an experimental video about origami (paperfolding) which is my specialty. It was a two-year production and involved over 100 international artists.

Now, I want to experiment with shorter, fun origami video vignettes. So my budget is modest. My big challenge is learning how to shoot and digitally edit. But the joy of having full creative control over my own productions is intoxicating!! :-))

Dorothy
Old March 5th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #9
Inner Circle

You might consider a used TRV70 as an SD alternative to the Optura.
Old March 5th, 2006, 09:18 PM   #10
Wrangler

Dorothy, the first accessory you should look into is some good editing software.
I'm a big fan of Sony's Vegas.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > Canon Optura Junior Watchdog