HfS11 OR HfS21 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 4th, 2010, 10:18 AM   #1
New Boot

HfS11 OR HfS21 ?

Hi!

I search over the forums if anybody has done this question but nothing found, so...

Its worth to buy the new Hfs21, for the viewfinder, 2 x cardslot, better and tactil lcd?

Is the hfs21 have a 24p native real mode?

I read that is a bit uncomfortable to handle vs hfs11, why?

Without the money fact, which camera do you prefer?

THANKS A LOT

PS:Last camera GL2.
Fernando Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #2
New Boot

The HF S21 is not available to the general public yet.

The S21 is a little bigger than the S11 and apparently has a somewhat hard edge on it that makes it a little uncomfortable to hold.

The S21 does have native 24p recording.
Alan Somers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3
Trustee

I doubt anyone has it yet to know - release date April??
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Too early to say, but if moneys not an object, get the latest and greatest... the specs on the HF-S21 look mighty sweet. Keep an eye on YouTube Japanese posters - they get the new toys a bit before the rest of us, might give you an idea.

Camera comfort is a personal thing, and sometimes they don't fit everyone's hand well, you'll have to try any given cam to see if it works for YOU.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The viewfinder can be useful in 2 situations. If you want stability on your shots, especially if you are handholding the shot. If your LCD is hard to see outdoors.

Until we get the unit, it's hard to say about handling. Besides, handling is a personal issue. Tactile LCD, I've used my sony hc3 for 3+ years and it's not that bad. Some controls do well with it, like AF where you just tap the area you want to AF. Maybe the PLAY-REWIND-FF buttons on LCD is also better. But with others, physical buttons are better. Again, this may be a personal thing and it depends on how Canon implements their touch screen. I doubt if we'll see some gestures there though :-)

The double card slot is useful if you shoot long and at the highest bitrate. I suppose that saves you from swapping SDHCs. It's a nice convenience but not necessary.

Now, the ability to convert to SD is nice if you do SDE's. Old notebooks like mine will handle those files much better. However, we are not told how fast this conversion takes place. If it is 1:1, then it is long. However, I think, it will be much faster and may be worth it. Of course, this feature may not be of concern to many.

If money is no object, I'd get the top of the line of the thing. But at U$1,400 or so, it's getting very close to the Panny HMC-40. I already have the older HF-100. I like it. Not perfect, but it's good. And if I skip the hf-s100 to get the latest, well, it's a big jump now!

However, I want to save up some more, so like what I did last year, will probably get the 2009's model before they all get sold as the 2010 models come in. If I am lucky, I might get the HF-s100 for only U$550 at bhphoto, like I did for the HF-100 last year! :-)

It all depends on what you want to do. I don't need true or native 24p and the pseudo 24p and 30p is good enough for me. But I'm sure others have more need of such features. :-)
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2010, 01:59 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks a lot

Thanks a lot guys for the answers.

Its hard for me to wait till April, but maybe the correct thing is wait and have both cameras in the hand to choose.

The only thing better for me about the 21 vs 11 is the 24p mode.

Thanks again
Old February 5th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #7
Major Player

The newer HF-S21 also supports LANC natively, without addon adapters, if that's important...
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 01:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

that's still april

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando Serrano View Post
Thanks a lot guys for the answers.

Its hard for me to wait till April, but maybe the correct thing is wait and have both cameras in the hand to choose.

The only thing better for me about the 21 vs 11 is the 24p mode.

Thanks again
But if these cameras are coming still in April, that would be the only time you can hold them, right? You will still be waiting.

Unless size is an issue, or the extra U$400, I suggest you take a good look at the panasonic HMC-40. It is available now, and it is getting good feedback from those who own it. That is the camera that is ahead above these HF of canon. I'm not knocking my HF. I love mine and even plan to get the HF-Sxx once they further go down. But as I said, if I were in the U$1,400 vicinity already, w/c is what the HF-21 would be, I'd spring for the extra U$400 and go for the HMC-40 instead. The camera is only 1/4" but it is very good in low light and it has lots of controls for you to tweak or to fiddle.
Mel Enriquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2010, 01:32 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks Again

Thanks guys for all your advices.

The Panasonic its a great choice, but here in Europe its too expensive.

My decision: HF-S21

I will post some impressions when i buy it.
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Tourist

Other reasons to get the 21 over the 10 is that the 21 has better stabilization.

It also has a build in AVC->MP4 transcoder so if your system can't handle editing avc it gives you another option when you copy the footage to your hard drive.

I have an HF S10 right now (had it for about 4 months). My biggest complaints are:

1) It's video performance seriously degrades in normal indoor situations.
2) the stabilization on the S10 is completely worthless.
3) AVC turns out to be a real pain to work with even with tools like Adobe CS4 on a Quad Core.

the HF S21 seems to resolve two out of those three issues. :) And the 1st issue can be resolved with carefully and thoughtfully controlled lighting.

Don't get me wrong. I love my HF S10 just be aware consumer HD video still has it's quirks.
-Chriss-
Christopher Vincelette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Vincelette View Post
1) It's [sic] video performance seriously degrades in normal indoor situations.
How so? The general consensus is that the opposite is true.
Stuart Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
1) It's video performance seriously degrades in normal indoor situations.
Do you have AGC limited to higher that 6db?
Quote:
2) the stabilization on the S10 is completely worthless.
not completely, but pretty much, 2010 models will have better OIS, but no more pre-record :)
Quote:
3) AVC turns out to be a real pain to work with even with tools like Adobe CS4 on a Quad Core.
AVCHD is a really heavy codec, but it looks like we're stuck with it for at least few years; neoscene from cineform does a really good job converting it to .avi
Old March 13th, 2010, 06:39 AM   #13
Major Player

I expect to buy a Vixia to record with the Nano-flash.
I had a look to the Pani HMC-40, but the CMOS (1/2,66 the Vixia vs 1/4 the Pani), mad me decide by the Canon.
Rafael
Rafael Amador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:03 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote: 1/2,66 the Vixia vs 1/4 the Pani

Yep, but also 1 chip vs 3.
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post

2010 models will have better OIS, but no more pre-record :)
my bad pre-record is still there, but I don't see the icon under the product overview on Canon site.
OK, mine will be coming next week, will let you know;

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders