AT897 or RODE NTG-2 or other mic for HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM   #1
New Boot

AT897 or RODE NTG-2 or other mic for HV20

Hi, I bought a canon hv20 and I am very happy with the video picture. I am looking for an external shotgun mic to go with this camcorder.

If you have field tested various mics with the hv20 - then please tell me which worked best?

1. AT897 using battery option and xlr to mini plug
or
2.Rode ntg-2 using battery/ xlr to mini.

Have you personally tried both? OR is there a better mic to consider.

Either a less expensive mic or one in the same price range $200-$260.

I don't have a beachtech mixer , but I do plan to buy one later and would like the mic to be able to work with it also.

Thanks for your advice.
Jimmy Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #2
Major Player

The Rode Videomic works well with the HV20 and costs less than half what you'll pay for an AT897 or NTG2.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 04:07 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I haven't tried any others, but I can say I am very happy with my AT897. I have it in a shock mount attached to a flash handle (along with my HV20). It is quite likely a more expensive and a better mic than I really need as an amateur, but again I am very happy with the clear sound I get from it.
Attached Thumbnails
AT897 or RODE NTG-2 or other mic for HV20-img_2478.jpg   AT897 or RODE NTG-2 or other mic for HV20-img_2479.jpg  

Brandon Svec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2007, 10:59 PM   #4
New Boot

Thanks for the comments.

Brandon: Thanks for the pictures. Does the XLR to mini adaptor have any electronics to deal with mic impedance OR is it just a straight XLR to mini cable?

Which brand and type adaptor?

Thanks
Jimmy
Jimmy Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:24 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Finn View Post
Thanks for the comments.

Brandon: Thanks for the pictures. Does the XLR to mini adaptor have any electronics to deal with mic impedance OR is it just a straight XLR to mini cable?

Which brand and type adaptor?

Thanks
Jimmy
I'm not certain if there is anything in the adapter. I assume impedance matching? But maybe not without a battery?

I bought this kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

There is a AA battery in the mic, that AT tech support told me should last 1000 hours (which seems amazing to me, but that's what they said)
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:54 AM   #6
Trustee

I'm about to purchase either a Sony HC7 or Canon HV20.
I have plenty of mics that I use for FX1/PD170/VX2100 cameras for pro video use, as well as pro audio use with various recorders.
They range from Rode NT5 hyper cardiod mics (48v pahntom power), AT897, Rode NTG2, AT822 (stereo mic), and have a problem with all of these on a small consumer camera.

They're so frickin huge looking.

I plan on using the HV20 or HC7, mainly as a personal or capture deck camera.
Can anyone recommend a small mini plug mic (preferably stereo) that wouldn't look so awkward on these cameras.

Strictly for personal use only.

Thanks, and much appreciated.
Michael
Michael Liebergot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #7
Major Player

Michael,
I made a right angle XLR-F to 3.5mm stereo phone plug using a Neutrix right angle connector and a stereo cable scrounged from a stereo audio extension cable. Works fine for less than $10 total costs. However, Hama makes these in 18" and 3' lengths. You should find them at B&H Photo/Video.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I use an AT897 and am very pleased with the audio.

That said, I wish the mic was smaller. It's a bit cumbersome to handle, especially with a Rycote softie attached. By the time you attach the mic and the WD-H43 wide-angle, the HV20 is gaining quite a bit of heft.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 03:50 PM   #9
New Boot

I know you would like a comparison, but while I don't have an AT897, I just added an NTG2 to my HV20.

Not happy with the inbuilt mic (duh!) because everytime you moved your hand, you got scratching, I added a RODE SVM. It was o.k., but lacked the reach I was looking for, so the choice (for me) was between the RODE VideoMic and the NTG2. I went to the NTG2 as I am getting a Zoom H4 and wanted the XLR inputs.

Now for the crunch part ... the VideoMic might have been a better choice, because:

- The NTG is quite long, slightly longer than the VideoMic, but when you add the XLR on the end of it, it becomes a lot longer.

- In the RODE mount it sits directly above the eye viewer, and that in conjunction with the longer length means you cannot use the eye viewer as your head hits the rear of the mic.

- It requires power, either external or a AA battery inside, but you cannot turn the thing off from outside, so if you don't want flat batteries all the time, you need to disconnect the XPR, take it out of the mount, unscrew the back half and remove the battery ... pain.

The VideoMic is shorter (and sits toward the front), is offset, so sits away from the eye viewer, and has an external on/off switch. You loose the XLR off course, which might be a deal breaker.
John A Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Brandon,
That looks like a sweet setup. What flash handle is that? Looks nice. Will any flash handle attach to the bottom of the HV20? I'm debating a setup like yours, which will run a bit over $300 vs. just getting a VideoMic. Thoughts anyone?
Andrew Swihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Swihart View Post
Brandon,
That looks like a sweet setup. What flash handle is that?
Here's the handle I bought:
http://www.bugeyedigital.com/product...bow-va313.html

I got the mic, shock mount and XLR adapter from B&H as a kit:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...arch&Q=*&bhs=t

FYI- the handle part of the flash handle is pretty cheap, brittle plastic and it broke apart when I tried to unscrew it to flip it the opposite direction.
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:45 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Seems like the handle could add some stabilization as well, have you found this true? Can you still use a monopod or steady stick along with this setup?
Andrew Swihart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 08:47 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Swihart View Post
Seems like the handle could add some stabilization as well, have you found this true? Can you still use a monopod or steady stick along with this setup?
It does help with stabilization, I guess. At least it gives you some other ways to handle the camera - i.e. with one hand on the handle and the other stabilizing the opposite side. Yes you can still put this on a tripod.
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:58 AM   #14
Tourist

When I am shooting personal video and don't want to carry a large mic with me I use the Sony ECM-MS908C which works fairly well or the internal mic which is (eh so so) . http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Mic_for.html

I'd like to hear what others are using for small mic too..

When I don't mind having a larger mic and I don't need stereo and I am not recording music, I use the rode videomic, which works very very well, a mic everyone should have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Liebergot View Post
I'm about to purchase either a Sony HC7 or Canon HV20.
I have plenty of mics that I use for FX1/PD170/VX2100 cameras for pro video use, as well as pro audio use with various recorders.
They range from Rode NT5 hyper cardiod mics (48v pahntom power), AT897, Rode NTG2, AT822 (stereo mic), and have a problem with all of these on a small consumer camera.

They're so frickin huge looking.

I plan on using the HV20 or HC7, mainly as a personal or capture deck camera.
Can anyone recommend a small mini plug mic (preferably stereo) that wouldn't look so awkward on these cameras.

Strictly for personal use only.

Thanks, and much appreciated.
Michael
Roman Kazan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #15
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman Kazan View Post
When I am shooting personal video and don't want to carry a large mic with me I use the Sony ECM-MS908C which works fairly well or the internal mic which is (eh so so) . http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Mic_for.html

I'd like to hear what others are using for small mic too..

When I don't mind having a larger mic and I don't need stereo and I am not recording music, I use the rode videomic, which works very very well, a mic everyone should have.
I like the 908c. I haven't used it as an on-camera mike, but I'll use it with a Panasonic MD disk recorder. The recorder fits in my pocket, provides very high-fidelity digital recording, and with an MD deck provides an all-digital solution for audio. The 908c works great in this capacity.
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders