DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Micro35 vs Brevis35 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/100197-micro35-vs-brevis35.html)

Joseph H. Moore July 31st, 2007 09:02 PM

Micro35 vs Brevis35

I'm trying to find a good unbiased comparison between these two adapters. There pricing is close enough that something else needs to be the deciding factor. I personally prefer the Brevis' form factor, but ultimately the image is what counts.

Anybody have first hand experience with both?

Robert Ducon August 1st, 2007 12:33 AM

Not with both.. I own the Brevis, it works well, the user base is supportive like dvinfo.com and it works well. So, I'm biased. Would love to hear if someone has used both too.

Joseph H. Moore August 1st, 2007 06:19 AM

Robert,
Are you using the Brevis35 with the HV20? Can you use it and a small prime without lens support/rails?

Robert Ducon August 1st, 2007 12:46 PM

I used mine without support.. not recommended. The Brevis is carbon fibre and aluminum (and glass) - it's light, and stiff, but not *that* light. I used it with a small zoom, but even with a lighter/smaller prime, the HV20's threads will be under a lot of stress with that thing screwed into the front of it. The HV20's threads were designed for filters, not to have something bigger and heavier than the camera to have to support. ;)

I went for the Carbon Fibre rails system that Cinevate (the company that makes the Brevis) provides - they're light, they're sexy, they do what they're supposed to do.

All 35mm lens systems add up, but by golly, there's no other way to get the image they provide without one, and, you've already done yourself a service by purchasing a camera that was almost made for the Brevis - you don't need anything else to get the image that the HV20 and Brevis combo provides. The HV20 sees the image better than most in it's class (and in many cases above).

Go to www.cinevate.com and look at the forums there - plenty of HV20 users and their footage.

Joseph H. Moore August 1st, 2007 12:58 PM

Robert,
Gonna bug you with a few more questions if that's okay?

How does the HV20 hold focus? Once you dial in with that little teeny thumwheel does it stay focused until you switch to autofocus? It seems like the setting survives a power-down, but I'm curious if it really stays at the same setting?

What's your focus procedure? Do you put a target at a known distance and then set the lens focus to that distance and then focus the HV20 on the ground glass, or can the HV20 focus on the gg itself?

Robert Ducon August 1st, 2007 07:04 PM

Sure Jospeh, no problem.

All the focusing on the image area on a 35mm adapter is manual. The HV20 holds focus as long as I don't a) bump the focus wheel b) zoom in/out. On precious shoots, I use a piece of very carefully laid masking tape on each control. It's of course possible to bump the control when laying the tape.

As for the setting when it's powered down, well, I've never powered down and trusted it, so I reset or check each time.

For focusing, since it's done manually, it takes some practice. I don't own a good HDTV yet - the best way to do it is put the unit on a tripod, lock it down, and then zoom in and focus as best you can on the image element. You need to zoom in as much as you can.. nature of the beast - very small window of ideal focus/zoom. Then it's twiddling with both the focus on the 35mm lens and the focus on the HV20 itself to find the 'right amount' and perfect focus on both. I usually aim it at something with fine detail - a printed piece of paper with small font text should work.

35mm adapters are still have a healthy dose of DIY - which makes it fun too ;) And sets 35mm users apart from the rest of the consumer HV20 owning world!

Mark Ross August 2nd, 2007 09:12 AM

Just wanted to say thanks for this thread... very helpful and relevant to me right now.