DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 LCD for 35mm Adapter Focussing (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/100324-hv20-lcd-35mm-adapter-focussing.html)

John Benton August 2nd, 2007 07:26 AM

HV20 LCD for 35mm Adapter Focussing

One of the disappointing things in the XL-H1 is trying to get critical focus with the Viewfinder/LCD

How is the HV20 LCD for 35mm Adapter Focussing?

Thanks,
J

Chris Barcellos August 2nd, 2007 09:13 AM

I ve used a Letus35a, and a makeshift SD monitor affair (A 7 inch DVD player with av in capability.) The film actually came out pretty nice, but I was never able to feel absolutely sure I had hit focus right on, because of the SD monitor.

I actually believe you can focus as well or better through the viewfinder, but the upside down image is to much for me to deal with...

John Benton August 2nd, 2007 12:38 PM

Yeah it's pain,

Thanks Chris,
J

Robert Ducon August 2nd, 2007 04:18 PM

I'll never say the LCD is good, but I was able to focus almost as good as I could when I had a high res monitor attatched. Meaning, I wasn't as far off as I thought I might have been.

I'd always recommend an external monitor.. but an HD calibre one is pretty hard to come by when shooting in the field!

Wasn't that bad.

John Benton August 2nd, 2007 08:33 PM

Robert Thanks,
I just checked it out - Really not too bad at all.
Fun to run and gun

but I am still confused why my 24p footage is "interlaced"
I know it's off topic, but even the 24F modes of the others look progressive

anyway
Thanks,
J

Bruce Allen August 7th, 2007 01:28 AM

Not good. I have comparisons between the HV20 LCD and the LCD monitor I'm making here:

http://www.boacinema.com/projects/lcd_monitor/

You really need a high-res monitor. Give me a few more days, I'll have photos of the finished product.

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com

Joseph H. Moore August 7th, 2007 07:12 AM

http://www.adorama.com/IAV8000HD.html

Not true HD, but should be a significant step-up from the built-in.

Steve Witt August 7th, 2007 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Benton (Post 722609)

but I am still confused why my 24p footage is "interlaced"
I know it's off topic, but even the 24F modes of the others look progressive

check out this link to maybe give some clarity to your confusion. look where it talks about 24P

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=92099

John Hotze August 7th, 2007 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 724781)
http://www.adorama.com/IAV8000HD.html

Not true HD, but should be a significant step-up from the built-in.

This is the guy I'm going for. Is Adorama a reliable place to buy from. Have you researched the battery that can be added to this LCD?

Joseph H. Moore August 7th, 2007 03:54 PM

I've ordered successfully from Adorama in the recent past, but I'm sure many other places carry the IAV8000HD. B&H is always reliable.

I don't know much about the battery option, or any of the options, really. I just know that a lot of indie shooters rely on this monitor.

Joseph H. Moore August 7th, 2007 03:58 PM

Let me add, though, that I spent a few hours today working with manual focus on a 720P monitor and a 1080P monitor, and the higher res you can get, the better. There is a LOT of detail that can get resolved from this camera, a lot, but you'll miss it without a good monitoring solution. The good news is that the focus assist feature (unlike the zebras) works with an external monitor, even an HD one. I used it via HDMI on a 720P monitor today and it let me see every little detail, tack sharp.

I hope Bruce can pull-off his monitor for his price, because the extra res will be most welcome.

Chris Ames August 7th, 2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 725032)
Let me add, though, that I spent a few hours today working with manual focus on a 720P monitor and a 1080P monitor, and the higher res you can get, the better. There is a LOT of detail that can get resolved from this camera, a lot, but you'll miss it without a good monitoring solution. The good news is that the focus assist feature (unlike the zebras) works with an external monitor, even an HD one. I used it via HDMI on a 720P monitor today and it let me see every little detail, tack sharp.

I hope Bruce can pull-off his monitor for his price, because the extra res will be most welcome.

Nice.

Gotta love focus-assist.

John Hotze August 8th, 2007 08:10 AM

I don't know if this thinking is flawed or not but I was figuring that the 8" monitor at 800 X 480 pixels, would be equivilent to 3200 X 1920 if it were the same pixels per inch on a 32" monitor. Now my 32" LCD is 14XX by 1080 I believe and the HDV from my camcorder looks fantanstic on my 32", even when I'm up close to it.

I know at first I was thinking that 800 X 480 doesn't seem that great but when you put the pixels per inch into perspective of what appears to be the smallest 1920 X 1080 resolution monitor (about 23") it's pretty damn good.

I wonder if the LCD/Plasma monitor manufactures have about reached their limits of how many pixels per inch horizontally and vertically they can manufacturer.

I guess another factor when you discuss resolution and pixels per inch that come into play, is the size of the pixels and the distance the eyes are from the pixels.

Joseph H. Moore August 8th, 2007 08:25 AM

John,
Those are all valid conclusions when discussing perceived picture quality ... but they don't really relate to the problem at hand, which is evaluating the true focus of what's being recorded. Does that make sense? You need as much "real" resolution as possible to be confident that you really, truly have focus dialed-in tight. Ideally, you'd be looking at a one-to-one representation. I found that 720P works well, though, especially with the focus assist.

P.S. And no, manufacturers are not up against a brick wall as far as pixel density goes. 300-400ppi definitely is in th realm of possibility. 1080 portable screens don't need that fine of a pitch. Bruce's inexpensive source is getting close, and its just shy of 130ppi.

John Hotze August 8th, 2007 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 725377)
John,
Those are all valid conclusions when discussing perceived picture quality ... but they don't really relate to the problem at hand, which is evaluating the true focus of what's being recorded. Does that make sense? You need as much "real" resolution as possible to be confident that you really, truly have focus dialed-in tight. Ideally, you'd be looking at a one-to-one representation. I found that 720P works well, though, especially with the focus assist.

P.S. And no, manufacturers are not up against a brick wall as far as pixel density goes. 300-400ppi definitely is in th realm of possibility. 1080 portable screens don't need that fine of a pitch. Bruce's inexpensive source is getting close, and its just shy of 130ppi.

Thanks for your input. I just need a good solution for these old eyes to obtain good focus while shooting with my HD camera. I don't need to jump at the Ikan right away. Maybe I'll check out Bruce's solution. I bet consumer HD camcorders or going to open up a large market for something like Bruce's solution. Of course it's not going to be the typical consumer that will jump at laying out $600 to be able to help improve their focusing ability.