DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 24p Follies (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/100603-hv20-24p-follies.html)

Tilford Bartman August 5th, 2007 10:24 AM

HV20 24p Follies

well, Ive spent most of the past 48 hours with the HV20, Premiere cs3 and cineform Aspect HD. The aspect hd is doing the pull down on my HV20 24p footage, and I can edit it in Premiere, and transcode it if I wish. The remaining issue which does not seem to have a solution is that the HV20 does not appear to accept anything that's progressive into the firewire port to tape. If I send the 24p out to HV20 tape as 1080i it's no problem, but anything in Progressive (I'm not trying to send the intermediate cinform files, but M2 1080p) I get a message on the LCD screen that the input format is not supported. I had planned to archive my edited 24p footage on the HV20 tape. I'm wondering if there is a deck available which I can connect to my PC firewire, and output 1080p or 720p to dv tape? The alternative would be to just burn and store my Cinform files on some high capacity disk storage, 750gid drives aren't that expensive.

Also just an aside. My computer is dual xeon 3.2, but older xeon with 800hmz frontside bus, and slower memory. Anyway working in HD is really slow. Several years of working in really nice realtime DV spoiled me. I imagine in a few years well have fast enough processors to do really good HD in realtime with just software, but right now it looks to me like hardware acceleration is the better option, or maybe 2.6 quad core for $580 would suffice?

Tilford Bartma

Robert Ducon August 5th, 2007 03:25 PM

SD with powerful compujter like these is great - HD doesn't seem like magic even on top of the line computers of today.

Dual core Xeon sounds nice - is it Netburst? The newer Xeons apparently are faster, despite clock speeds. A new Quad core would help no doubt. RAM is the best upgrade, but HD will feel 'slow' till computers get more powerful.

As for progressive out to HV20 - I've never out back to tape with the HV20...

David Parks August 6th, 2007 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tilford Bartman (Post 723782)
I'm wondering if there is a deck available which I can connect to my PC firewire, and output 1080p or 720p to dv tape?

Tilford Bartma

Tilford,

In HDV land there is HDV 1 which is 1280x720p progressive and HDV 2 which 1440 x 1080i which is interlaced. Canon and Sony are HDV2 record standards
and JVC is HDV 1. 1080p tape recording you have to go up to HDCAM SR.

If you have to record to 720p then JVC 50 is your only "new" tape deck. You might look at a JVC HD1 or HD10 camera. But why on earth?? Interlaced to progressive without deinterlacing in editing app. looks bad.

In the end I do have to question if you really gain anythng and not losing a lot. If you're using HV 20 firewire out then your recordng in 60i to 1080i. from progressive scan CMOS.

So in you scenario, you are going progressive to interlaced and back to progressive. That could end up a waste of time. You would need to deinterlace your sequence before going to progressive which isn't a real-time process. . How are you using your material in the end?? HD DVD, BluRay, broadcast.?? There's nothing wrong with 1080i for distribution.

As I understand with the HV20, you have to record out of the HDMI to a computer with a Black Magic Intensity before it hits tape, edit 1080p, then out to progressive or interlaced.

If you want an end to end progressive HDV format solution then you need to look at JVC which actually records 720p.

Cheers.

Chris Barcellos August 6th, 2007 11:45 AM

There have been a couple of threads on this issue before. I recall a heavy discussion about the need to preserve any edited material back to HDV in the first place. There are those that want the same capability for storage that they have with DV, but others argue that given the "non-lossless" nature, the finished product should be saved and archived on harddrive in the intermedeate editing codecs available, like Cineform.

Simply put, as I understand it, taking 1080 60i footage, editing it to 1080 24p works on the computer, but trying to preserve that footage in tape format will not. HV20 is 60i, and its 24p is contained in the 60i stream. You can actually edit it that way, and then save it back to tape in that form, while preserving the 24 fps look and cadence. If you have to archive it that way, then do that.