DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Horror Story - Broken Camera (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/100718-horror-story-broken-camera.html)

Roberto Bellini August 6th, 2007 04:50 PM

Horror Story - Broken Camera

So I have a horror story and need some help! My girlfriend was out with our HV20 and the strap on her bag broke, letting the camera fall and hit the ground from less then 5 feet, the camera will not turn on anymore and will only spit out the tape... the menu button on the back of the camera is broken. Something sounds loose when we shake it...

So heres the question, I bought the camera in the United States, I moved to Brazil where this happened... It is still under warranty.
Is there any chance I can do anything about it with the warranty?
Any tips?

I appreciate any help...

Richard Alvarez August 6th, 2007 05:06 PM

Is there any chance it's still under warranty?

Only reading your warranty will tell you for sure, but my money is on "No chance".

Dropping your unit will probably fall under 'abuse', or some such accident. Now, you might look into a purchase warranty if you bought it under American Express or Visa... sometimes, depending on your card, you might have accident insurance for purchases. Likewise, look to your homeowners policy.

Otherwise, 'ouch', is about the best you can expect.

Chris Hurd August 6th, 2007 05:11 PM

Sorry about that, Roberto -- Ouch! is right -- Drops and other accidents don't qualify for warranty repair, but you might as well send it in to Canon Service so they can give you an idea of the cost to repair. Hopefully it won't be too high. Please let us know what you find out,

Roberto Bellini August 6th, 2007 05:17 PM

That's what I thought...

Ouch....

thanks for the info!
Although I'm pretty sure there is no Canon Repair here...

Chris Hurd August 6th, 2007 05:20 PM

Roberto, start with the Canon Brazil web site...

http://www.canon.com.br/Assistencia.aspx

Roberto Bellini August 6th, 2007 05:44 PM

Canon Brasil

Yes I checked the website, they do not have anything for video cameras... I'll try calling though, maybe if I'm lucky... (which I guess I'm not!)
:)

thanks Chris!

Glyn Williams August 7th, 2007 05:46 AM

If you bought it recently with a credit card - you may have a type of insurance from the credit-card company.

It's worth checking.

Rikki Bruce August 8th, 2007 03:11 PM

Dont know about other countries but here in teh UK I have my camera gear insured for such things as part of my home contents policy. Dont know if you can add your camera to yours, wait a week or two then call em up and say "it fell..."

Aaron Grumtek August 8th, 2007 03:13 PM

I think that we ALL learned a leason here... Don't let your girlfriend borrow your HV20...

Ryan Chaney August 9th, 2007 03:27 PM

I broke my HV20 in almost the same manner (including breaking the on/off/playback dial), had the exact same symptom of it spitting out tapes but never actually powering on... and then actually managed to fix it myself!! I had to basically snap the mashed-in dial back up into place, making sure that a very tiny grey plastic tab got properly inserted into it's very tiny rectangular metal hole (both of which are visible inside the door near where the internal "guts" of the dial mechanism are located). Once I snapped the little tab back into place the camera immediately came back to life and it's worked perfectly for three months since!

Good luck! =)

Peter Moretti August 10th, 2007 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Grumtek (Post 725652)
I think that we ALL learned a leason here... Don't let your girlfriend borrow your HV20...

That should be on page "i" of the owner's manual.

Glenn Thomas August 10th, 2007 06:54 AM

Sorry to hear about this, but it's a reminder that I need to update my insurance policy to include the HV20.

I'd recommend this to everyone.. Full comprehensive worldwide insurance.