DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   iPhone to lock in exposure (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/100775-iphone-lock-exposure.html)

Joseph H. Moore August 7th, 2007 09:49 AM

iPhone to lock in exposure

After reading different threads on locking in proper exposure for film-like recording (24P, 48th/sec shutter, 2.4 AP) I decided to try my iPhone as a light source. It's got a pretty, big, bright widescreen so it seemed like a better option than pointing the camera dead into a hot light.

I'm happy to report that it works very well, a good deal brighter than my color iPod.

Now, $600 is expensive just for this ... but there are so many other reasons to love the iPhone, this is icing on the cake. ;-)

Luc Fender August 7th, 2007 01:12 PM

Well so do pocket pc's and probably many smartphones as well.
Actually I used my X51V as a temporary 'flashlight' in my house when I had no power (seriously, it can be that bright).

Still unhappy the pocket pc market is getting replaced quickly by 'fancier' phones that are not nearly as capable and are still lagging years behind (e.g. VGA screen, 640Mhz CPU, dedicated graphics chip, divx/mp3/mp4 players,...).

Joseph H. Moore August 7th, 2007 01:23 PM

After enduring a Samsung Blackjack for a few months, I can safely say there is a reason that Windows Mobile isn't taking the market by storm! ;-)

It's fairly cumbersome to load any image you want onto the average phone. With the iPhone, (or any other iPod) you can sync to a whole set of images. I made a set of fullscreen images at different values for this purpose. For example, it was actually a 50% grey field that got my exposure settings the most balanced with the most play.

Luc Fender August 10th, 2007 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 724949)
After enduring a Samsung Blackjack for a few months, I can safely say there is a reason that Windows Mobile isn't taking the market by storm! ;-)

It's fairly cumbersome to load any image you want onto the average phone. With the iPhone, (or any other iPod) you can sync to a whole set of images. I made a set of fullscreen images at different values for this purpose. For example, it was actually a 50% grey field that got my exposure settings the most balanced with the most play.

Probably wrong forum:-), but sure there are a lot of difference between the devices. You wouldn't need to sync, since about all windows mobile phones take a mini/micro SD card and that's superfast to copy (at least on my desktop).
That said I think the iPhone appears to be a great device but little bit overpriced for what it does and you can find new pocket pc devices that can do all that for way less. The coolness factor of course you won't get with those...