Canon HG10: download 24p video clips - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #46
Major Player

Any links to 24p footage with motion or movement to check the artifacting and motion trails?

In ProRes or AIC?
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:17 AM   #47
Major Player

A question about AVCHD's 24p version: is it like HV20's that requires a 3:2 pulldown removal, or is it real 24p? And if it's like HV20's, why is it so? AVCHD can write individual files on the disk so it's not limited by tape and HDV standard as the HV20 is.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #48
Contributor

the hg10's implementation of 24p is 24 in 60. the exact same process is required to remove pulldown as for 24p with the hv20. IMO i think they left it in a 60i stream because a "typical" consumer isn't going to mess with 24p, and because most playback systems a consumer will have/be dealing with are going to be interlaced, tv, dvd etc...

as for david's ? there are numerous files here with some motion (mostly a fountain)

http://file.meyersproduction.com/hg10/
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:27 AM   #49
Major Player

Thank you Austin.

I have the water fountain clip.

I was hoping to see a pan and some movement like a football player for action for example.

Once the cam is released, no doubt this will help.

I'm trying reconcile the one review about motion trails and unusable 24p with your observations to the opposite.
David Saraceno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #50
Contributor

from what i can tell from that other review is they were perhaps someone not used to working with 24p or 24-in-60 footage... on a computer screen the 24-in-60 looks horrible to someone who doesn't know what they're looking at...
Old September 27th, 2007, 09:43 AM   #51
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
I'm trying reconcile the one review about motion trails and unusable 24p with your observations to the opposite.
There's a very simple, effective and accurate way to deal with these sort of disparities between separate online sources: always take DV Info Net's word over any other source, because we're usually right (with the track record to prove it).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Saraceno View Post
Thank you Austin.

I have the water fountain clip.

I was hoping to see a pan and some movement like a football player for action for example.

Once the cam is released, no doubt this will help.

The fountain clip has panning in it. I just watched "hg10 24p-10k.mov" clip and oh boy does it stutter when the camera pans from the fountain to the table with glasses. I understand that this is 24fps and it should stutter more than 60i, but it is so visible it literally hurts my eyes, I barely can watch this, my first reaction is to turn away from the screen. Could someone explain why real movies do not stutter this much with comparable panning speed? Is it more motion blur and shallow DOF in real movies that hides stuttering? Is it slower panning? Also, if HG10 is anything like HV20, the CineMode does not guarantee 1/48 shutter speed. Could higher shutter speed exacerbate stutter? Anyone else experienced stuttering in this episode?

Interesting that panning when zoomed in does not look as bad. More blur? Maybe my computer is not fast enough to redraw video fast enough? The CPU load gets to about 75% during viewing, but the video card on my machine is pretty basic, so this may be the problem. Maybe the slow video card also produces effect which seems very much like rolling shutter, when parts of the frame are updated in visible top-to-bottom fashion during panning. Don't know, otherwise other pieces without panning look good and fluid, no freezing or jerkiness, so I am not sure this is a problem with my computer.

This fountain clip has only a short piece shot in Tv mode with 1/48 shutter, and there is no panning in this piece. Would be nice to see panning in this mode.

Oh, and does "press photo button halfway to read current shutter speed" trick works with HG10?
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #53
Regular Crew

Canon HG10 Native Format in Adobe Premeir

Has anyone used the native file format in Adobe Premier CS2 or CS3? How does it handle the footage? Do you have to do a conversion to the native video format in order to import it?
Old November 9th, 2007, 08:08 AM   #54
MPS Digital Studios

It's AVCHD, but I don't know if Premiere Pro handles it or not. A lot of NLE apps just now support it (though I think Vegas has for a while).

Heath
Old November 9th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #55
Regular Crew

Premier Pro CS3 supported formats

So I looked on premiers website and it lists the supported formats and it doesn't list AVCHD as one of the supported formats.

http://www.adobe.com/products/premie...edformats.html

Can anyone confirm whether or not editing the HG10's native format is possible in Premier? Anyone had any success with the .mts format? I've downloaded a few samples in the .mts format and I can't even play the files, does anyone know what program will play that format?

Scott
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #56
Major Player

As far as I can tell, Premiere does not yet support editing AVCHD. However, a number of other editing applications from Corel, Pinnacle, Sony, Nero and Canopus can edit it. If you want to play back the files, Elecard, Cyberlink, Nero, MainConcept and perhaps a few others offer that capability. MTS is simply a shortform extension for M2TS. The files are the same.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #57
Regular Crew

Right on, thanks for the info. I'm pretty much an Adobe suite guy so I'll probably wait to get this camera until the mts format is compatible with Premier. But thanks to you I'll be able to get one of those players to view some of the mts samples I've downloaded. They'll probably just get me excited about getting the camera. I'm tired of Tapes and the large space that the videos take up on my hard drives. It will be nice to have some compressed video :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders