UPDATED: CINEMODE HV20 softness at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 10th, 2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Tourist

UPDATED: CINEMODE HV20 softness

UPDATED:

Please shoot cinemode with custom setting contrast +1 and there will not be any loss in detail but still less contrasty and slightly softer then TV mode. It appears to be more accurate and no loss in detail.
If u shoot cinemode with custom setting and contrast 0 there is definitely a loss of detail.
Calvin Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:49 AM   #2
Regular Crew

That would be great, will test this today thoroughly! I'm sceptic though, as I notice such a huge loss of detail in some cases, it would be amazing if it'd all come back by upping the contrast.
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I would appreciated to a see a comparaison between these 2 settings:

Cinemode with:
- Contrast +1 (to call back some details sharpened by the too high low contrast of the Cinemode),
- Sharpness +1 (to call back some details not enhanced between the raw sensor caption and the sharpness digital processing of the final picture),
- Brightness +1 (to call back some details in the dark areas, and because I think, IMHO, that the highlights are too much down giving a 'too much sad' image).

'Normal' mode with:
- Contrast -1 (to minimize the too much video style of the picture and to approach (just a little...) the Cinemode),
- Sharpness -1 (to approach too the Cinemode; people willing the more details as possible can stay at Sharpness 0),
- Brightness -1 (to avoid the lost of details as much as possible in the burned highlights of the 'normal' mode, and to avoid to much noise in the dark areas).

In every case, these 2 settings will not avoid corrections in post-prod, but maybe, depending of the personnal tastes of each of us, they will be more close to what can expect the majority of us, and they will permit us to spend less time in the post-prod process...

PS: It would be interesant too to test these settings in 24p and in 60i (or 25p and 50i) to see the real impact of each of the 'p' mode vs the 'i' mode, because I think that a part of the too strong softness report by some people are due too to the 'progressive' mode. But in which proportion?

Last edited by Bruno Donnet; August 11th, 2007 at 06:54 AM.
Bruno Donnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #4
Major Player

You can look at my tests to see all -1. I didn't do all +1 at once, but I did do them individually.

If you want to do post, +1 should be avoided. It's quite artificial in all modes.

http://www.12south.com/video/hv20/modes/index.html
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Also,
I did some tests of P versus I, and the sharpness was essentially the same, BUT, it took the camera much longer to focus.
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Also,
I did some tests of P versus I, and the sharpness was essentially the same, BUT, it took the camera much longer to focus.
Thanks a lot for the screenshots. I wonder why are these sizes 856x879? Sorry if this was already answered in the other thread.

There's also a color depth setting and not sure what it does (probably gamma which probably would result in loss off mid-tone detail).
Luc Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #7
Major Player

- They've been cropped to include just the chart, but they are full resolution, no scaling.

- COLOR DEPTH is essentially SATURATION. It's not directly related to gamma.
Old August 11th, 2007, 09:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I just did a quick test and the +1 contrast DOES seem to bring back most, if not all of the detail.

However, this makes CINE MODE a lot less useful since the resulting image looks almost identical (at least on my cheap test monitor) to the TV mode -1 contrast image.
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
You can look at my tests to see all -1. I didn't do all +1 at once, but I did do them individually.
I don't see the individual case Cimode with brightness +1.
And I woukd like to see all at +1 (to compare withe AE normal mode all at -1).

Quote:
If you want to do post, +1 should be avoided. It's quite artificial in all modes.
I many of us (I think...), I would like to have a 'not perfect but quite good' setting to minimize the time spend in post-prod for the majority of the footages, and, why not, to avoid any post-prod for the non important footages.
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM   #10
Major Player

- I didn't do comprehensive tests with all of the image settings, just sharpness and contrast.

- "-1" is the most natural for ALL settings. "0" usually looks natural enough, "+1" looked artificial in every case to me. I'm saying more most cases leave the settings at -1, and for cases where you feel you need to emphasize, go up to 0.
Old August 14th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #11
Regular Crew

If you don't like the +1 settings on the Cinemode I understand that you don't want to spend time on it.

Can somebody-else do a test with the 3 setting at +1 on the Cinemode (on comparaison on the same scene in Normal AE mode with the 3 settings at -1)?

Could be done not on colored charts but on real scenes...

Thanks by advance.
Old August 14th, 2007, 05:45 AM   #12
Major Player

Which three settings? I did SHARPNESS and CONTRAST.

+1 yields ugly, artificial results in every case, I'd pretend it doesn't exist.
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Joseph H. Moore,
You have provided +1 with Sharpness and Contrast, but separated, not combined.
And, personnally, I found test "Cinemode Sharpness +1" less sharp than the -1... (and I don't know on which basis, you can qualify this +1 as 'artificial').

So it's why I would like to see something else than charts, prefering real situations...
Old August 14th, 2007, 06:31 AM   #14
Major Player

I'm going to do a better set-up today. Just for illustrative purposes I'll include all settings on +1 ... but it ain't gonna be pretty! ;-)
Old August 14th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #15
Major Player

Here's the new set-up. It's got a little bit of everything in it, strong highlights, rich shadows, subtle textures, bold colors, subtle colors, etc.

I shot every different custom image setting through -1,0,+1 in both Tv and CINE mode.

I'm going to put them all together as one layered in Photoshop file, as that seems to be about the easiest way to compare.

(FYI, I'm heading out of town, so I might not be able to post it until late in the week.)
Attached Thumbnails
UPDATED: CINEMODE HV20 softness-nikon_1080.jpg  
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders