"remove the cassette" error at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

"remove the cassette" error

I have put only minutes on a tape of a new HV20...traveled oversees on $1600 airfare ticket to stay there 1 month. Took some footage the first day. The second day I got "remove the cassette" error. The cam stopped accepting any tape.

The next day all the digital pictures where gone due to a memory card error. I have formated the memory card but the problem has reoccurred. I am back in US, called Tigerdirect and was told to call Canon. I am in the process of packing the cam and shipping it to Canon for a repair. How cool is that?
Peter Frollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2007, 10:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Frollo View Post
I have put only minutes on a tape of a new HV20...traveled oversees on $1600 airfare ticket to stay there 1 month. Took some footage the first day. The second day I got "remove the cassette" error. The cam stopped accepting any tape.

The next day all the digital pictures where gone due to a memory card error. I have formated the memory card but the problem has reoccurred. I am back in US, called Tigerdirect and was told to call Canon. I am in the process of packing the cam and shipping it to Canon for a repair. How cool is that?
Not cool at all. I would be quite upset to say the least..

Where and how did you travel with the cam? Any chance it was subject to shock, humididy, extreme hot or cold, etc?
Brandon Svec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

would going through metal detectors have any effect?
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

It was carefully taken oversees in a padded carry on bag. I had Sony, JVC for years, no issues.

http://mysite.verizon.net/resohb20/
Peter Frollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I've had my HV-20 for about a week now. I'm currently on a trip and did experience the same error "Remove the Cassette" once. I ejected the tape and put it back in and it cleared the error. I was thinking the cause was because of the placement of the Open/Eject switch. When holding the camera through the hand strap, my ring finger rests right on the switch. I may have inadvertently released the door. Now that I'm aware of the switch, I haven't had any further occurance of the error.
Michael Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 01:35 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I found the following after doing a Google search. Don't know if would help in your case but it seemed to be pretty useful information as a start after receiving that error. In your case, I would think it may be a component failure since the SD card also go erased or clobbered in some way. The only connection that I can think of between the SD card and the cassette transport is the cameras computer or on board power regulation.

Error Message:
Remove the Cassette
Translation:
According to Canon, this message may appear on your Canon camcorder’s LCD (liquid-crystal display) when there is an existing condition that may damage the camcorder. The tape mechanism is fragile and has many parts that can be damaged. This error message is a warning designed to prevent such damage by forcing you to stop recording.
Solution:
Canon provides the following reasons why the error message may occur:

First, if the camcorder detects condensation, which can damage the device, you may see the Remove The Cassette message.

If one of the camcorder’s components fails, you may see the error message. This is by design so that you prevent the damaged component from damaging other components.

If debris, such as sand, gets into the inside of the camcorder, it can lock up its gears and damage the device if you continue using it.

If the camcorder senses that it has suffered a strong impact, such as a drop, it may display the Remove The Cassette message to protect against the type of damage that could be caused by damaged or misaligned parts.

The camcorder may also display this error message if it detects that water or other liquids have spilled on it.

You may also see the error message if you did not insert the cassette properly. In this case, you may be able to remove the tape, properly insert it, and then continue using the camcorder.

Finally, your Canon camcorder can display the Remove The Cassette Message if it detects that the tape you inserted is damaged. If you suspect that this is the case, discard the tape and insert a new one immediately.

To resolve the error, Canon suggests that you first eject the tape and insert a new tape. This may resolve the error message. If it still appears, remove the tape, wait an hour, and then try to use your camcorder again. By waiting an hour, you give the device a chance to dry out and remove any condensation that may have been detected.

If you still see the Remove The Cassette message after taking these steps, you should call Canon at (800) 828-4040 or email Canon at carecenter@cits.canon.com for assistance.

Source: Canon Support Article “Remove the Cassette Warning – Customer Instructions"
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 11:58 AM   #7
Tourist

I've seen this once, recently, with my HV20. I really believe I somehow didn't close the door properly - removed and reinserted the tape, and no more issues, but I'm keeping my eye on it.

John F
John Friederich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:22 PM   #8
Major Player

I've gotten this error once. I baby the heck out of my HV20 so I was a little surprised to see it. Ejected, re-inserted the tape and haven't seen it since.
Old September 7th, 2007, 11:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

On the XH-A1 I get this error if I close the tape door even just a little before the tape has completely moved down into the camera. Maybe it's the same on the HV-20.
Have patience when inserting a new tape.
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2007, 09:01 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I got the message once with my PV-GS300. It stated possible condensation, so I removed the cassette, waited for an hour, and it has worked fine since.
Tom Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #11
New Boot

I got it also on the W'End while recording from inside a 4wd while bouncing around. Took the tape out, put it back in, pressed record, got the message again, opened it up, pulled out the cassette to find tape on the outside of the cassette.....(no so good). Wond the tape back into the cassette, ffw the tape a bit and kept recording - no idea the size of the drop out yet!
Nathan
Nathan Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #12
Regular Crew

I got the dreaded message telling me to remove the tape, but it's just beeping at me when I open the tape door and the tape will not release.
So the HV20 is already on it's way back to Canon UK service with a quoted 2 week turnround.
Paul Rickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #13
Inner Circle

This seems to be a frequent issue with the GL-2 as well. Lots of comments on the GL-2 forum.

Might be the same mechanism.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
This seems to be a frequent issue with the GL-2 as well. Lots of comments on the GL-2 forum.

Might be the same mechanism.
This is an old problem that infected the GL2, as well as certain Otura and ZR series cams. I'd say from my own experience that it is likely a defective tape drive, not operator error of some sort. Read up on the GL2 and ZR history. I hope they have a fix in place now.
Steve Wolla is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders