'record' delay or some sort of dropout? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

'record' delay or some sort of dropout?

We've been doing some heavy duty shooting with the HV20 because we're working on a feature film with it and I've noticed that on some tapes the takes only start like 3 seconds or more after I should have hit 'record' on the cam.

Does the HV20 have a record delay that occurs when it's being used all day long as a result of overheating or something? Has anyone experienced anything like this? I have not experienced any sort of dropout aside from this and Vegas does not mark these things as dropouts it seems.
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:25 AM   #2
Inner Circle

We have noticed the same thing with my XLH1. I have the HV20 also, but have not noticed it on that one yet. I'm thinking it is pretty much normal. It kind of makes you do something you should be doing anyway, starting the camera and making sure it is rolling before saying "action!"

When I'm shooting with friends I do that, but by myself I tend to just him the button and go. You really need the pre-action frames and some afterward for editing.

Mike
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teutsch View Post
We have noticed the same thing with my XLH1. I have the HV20 also, but have not noticed it on that one yet. I'm thinking it is pretty much normal. It kind of makes you do something you should be doing anyway, starting the camera and making sure it is rolling before saying "action!"

When I'm shooting with friends I do that, but by myself I tend to just him the button and go. You really need the pre-action frames and some afterward for editing.

Mike
Yes indeed, I agree.
But I am still trying to find out if it's some sort of dropout or if anyone noticed that there is indeed a delay in the sense that HV20 doesn't indicate tha it's recording yet for a few seconds.
Reese Leysen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 09:23 AM   #4
Regular Crew

i think i recall times where i press record, and theres these litle numbers that flash up on the middle of the display, and I think the record symbol flashes at me, and then it starts recording. Is this what your talking about?
Jay Cowley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders