miniSD video quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 03:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

miniSD video quality

I have a question about the miniSD cards...

can you record video onto the card? If so how much footage will hold on a 2gb card for example? Is the quality good?
Jason Dourgarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

HV20 mini SD cards are for stills only, while you're recording video or stills of the playback of the video pix. According to the HV20 manual, Canon have tested cards up to 2gb.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 05:15 AM   #3
Major Player

That gives me an idea. They should make a dual format camera. Records HDV to tape, and records the same HDV stream to an SD card. You'd have the archiving of miniDV, and the convenience of solid state... Kinda like Firestore, but built-in, and flash memory instead of a hard drive. It'll never happen though. I see everyone trying to phase out tapes completely.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 06:21 AM   #4
Major Player

I use a 2 GB card in my HV20 and it works great. Yes, it's stills only.

The HDV spec doesn't record to anything other than mini-DV tape AFAIK, but I don't see how that would keep a camera manufacturer from recording .M2T streams to an SD card, don't see that happening though.
Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Canon has produced AVCHD format camcorders recording to Mini DVD and Hard Disk Drive so far (the HR10 and HG10 models). I would like to see them do an SD or Mini SD flash memory version as well (or better yet, dual-recording via HDD as well as flash card).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Regular Crew

are they going to make a hard drive version of the camera? and do you think it will be better than the tapes?
Jason Dourgarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2007, 08:20 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Dourgarian View Post
are they going to make a hard drive version of the camera? and do you think it will be better than the tapes?
Every recording medium has its pros and cons. You have to choose what works best for your needs.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders