Can Pulldown Removal Affect Sound Synching? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 14th, 2007, 03:42 AM   #1
Trustee

Can Pulldown Removal Affect Sound Synching?

I am plannig to record double to both my HV-20 and a Sound Devices 702 recorder. The recorder's audio track will be synched the camera's video and audio tracks in my NLE (Xpress Pro or Vegas).

Does removing the pulldown introduce any additional problems with synching externally recorded audio to the footage?

I don't believe it should, but I've found sometimes the only stupid question really is the one you didn't ask.

THANKS A LOT for the help.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 05:30 AM   #2
New Boot

It could.

Reverse telecine is converting the 24p material in a 60i container to clean progressive 24p.

But... the 60i is really 59.94fps - and reverse telecine should be producing footage at 23.976fps. Almost 24 but not quite.

If the process you use puts the footage into a 24fps container, the audio could end up drifting slowly out of sync in long shots.

By my reckoning, a single 5 minute long take would drift by 1/3 second by the end.
Glyn Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2007, 08:12 AM   #3
Major Player

That's a good question Peter. My thought would be if you stick to 23.976 as Glyn pointed out you'll be fine but without doing a several minute test to find out who knows for sure. One would want to use a clapper throughout the video so you'd have some peak audio points to check for sync.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders