Mixing 60 and 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 26th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Mixing 60 and 24

What are peoples thoughts of mixing these shooting modes according to the necessity of the shot. i.e if Im moving fast - 60, in a dark room 24, then cutting the footage together afterwards. Its gonna look wierd isnt it?
The only way I think it may cut together is if I shoot 60 to slow mo it after and then mix it with 24 after. That would work wouldnt it?
Ben Hillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #2
Contributor

i've done some of this... although on most projects unless i specifically have slo mo stuff i shoot all one frame rate... shooting 60i you can get some really smooth slo mo by using somehting like JES that deinterlaces and doubles the duration (1 field = 1 frame) and then use cinema tools to conform it to 24p (slows it down another 20ish percent, if my math is right) i think it breaks down to 40% or so of the original speed with super smooth motion, and a slight degradation in image quality,

or you could deinterlace to 2 fields = 1 frame and then conform to 24p for a clip that plays 70%ish of the original

and lastly for stuff played in real time i belive JES has a option to throw away extra fields creating a 24p clip similar to what a film transfer house would do, that i'm not sure about though....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders