HV20 Workshop/Class - What Features Should I Teach? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 27th, 2007, 01:10 PM   #1
Major Player

HV20 Workshop/Class - What Features Should I Teach?

I'm going to be running a single evening class on the HV20 at a local indie film society/cooperative, highlighting the HV20. The society owns an HV20 and other members can rent it out. However, no one has shown what this camera can do - most people don't even know how to lock/set the exposure yet.

There'll be two groups at the meeting - newbies that are curious on how to use this new camera, and then other that have heard how incredible this camera is for 24P 'cinema-like' applications. I'd of course rather cater to the second crowed, showing off the latitude, shutter lock, etc etc but I'm certain that the majority of my time will be spent outlining how to use the little sucker for the newbies.

Nonetheless, I'm planning out my topics now.. what do you all think I should overview?

Priorities, first to last.

First, the basics:

1) How to turn on camera, load tape
2) MiniDV and HDV modes
3) Auto mode vs P Mode
4) Program, Shutter prio, Aperture prio, and Cinemode and uses
5) Setting/locking Exposure manually and when/why
6) Audo focus vs. Instant Auto focus and Manual Focus (and focus assist)
7) White-balance pre-sets
8) Still photo mode
9) 60i mode compared to 24P mode (and uses)

And then, if the group desires, advanced:

a) How the HV20 empowers: compared to XL-H1 footage, Sony Z1U footage, wide latitude, lack of oversharpening, lack of grain, great resolution, 24P mode, etc AND drawbacks - low light, gain/shutter control, CMOS sensitivity to shaky footage
b) 60i > 24P Inverse Telecine how to (with JES DeInterlacer and/or FCS 2 Compressor)
c) How to lock the aperture to wide open in Cinemode with zero gain
d) How/why to lock shutter to 1/48th
e) Cinemodes benefits/drawbacks (overviewing grain, increased latitude, lack of total shutter control, softness to detail)
f) HDMI capture of 4:2:2 signal (theory, won't perform the procedure but can show sample footage that I've shot)
g) HV20 use with 35mm adapter setup

PLEASE add, SUGGEST revisions.. in an order you think will be useful!
Old September 27th, 2007, 01:22 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Sounds great, How about if your record it. Plan on getting one to go with my A1. Could use a walk through video.
Moises Crespo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Go Cycle

Go into the CUSTOM set-up.....brung the Saturation up to the last + level.
Bring up then contrast as well........advise them to use SHADE at times for a good skin tone. The importance of using ND filters as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ducon View Post
I'm going to be running a single evening class on the HV20 at a local indie film society/cooperative, highlighting the HV20. The society owns an HV20 and other members can rent it out. However, no one has shown what this camera can do - most people don't even know how to lock/set the exposure yet.

There'll be two groups at the meeting - newbies that are curious on how to use this new camera, and then other that have heard how incredible this camera is for 24P 'cinema-like' applications. I'd of course rather cater to the second crowed, showing off the latitude, shutter lock, etc etc but I'm certain that the majority of my time will be spent outlining how to use the little sucker for the newbies.

Nonetheless, I'm planning out my topics now.. what do you all think I should overview?

Priorities, first to last.

First, the basics:

1) How to turn on camera, load tape
2) MiniDV and HDV modes
3) Auto mode vs P Mode
4) Program, Shutter prio, Aperture prio, and Cinemode and uses
5) Setting/locking Exposure manually and when/why
6) Audo focus vs. Instant Auto focus and Manual Focus (and focus assist)
7) White-balance pre-sets
8) Still photo mode
9) 60i mode compared to 24P mode (and uses)

And then, if the group desires, advanced:

a) How the HV20 empowers: compared to XL-H1 footage, Sony Z1U footage, wide latitude, lack of oversharpening, lack of grain, great resolution, 24P mode, etc AND drawbacks - low light, gain/shutter control, CMOS sensitivity to shaky footage
b) 60i > 24P Inverse Telecine how to (with JES DeInterlacer and/or FCS 2 Compressor)
c) How to lock the aperture to wide open in Cinemode with zero gain
d) How/why to lock shutter to 1/48th
e) Cinemodes benefits/drawbacks (overviewing grain, increased latitude, lack of total shutter control, softness to detail)
f) HDMI capture of 4:2:2 signal (theory, won't perform the procedure but can show sample footage that I've shot)
g) HV20 use with 35mm adapter setup

Old September 27th, 2007, 08:38 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
That looks like a very good list of topics. Here are some additional ideas you may want to consider --

Audio options - using a mic and audio recording level
Accessory shoe options
How to transfer video to a PC (I assume this will be covered)

And I agree with the suggestion to record it. That sounds like a great idea!
Glen Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #5
Major Player

Good ideas..

Not sure about recording it, but a write-up perhaps. I'm pressed for time as is.

Covering audio is very important - thanks for reminding me. Mic-in jacks are worth their weight in .. gold.

What else?
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Good ideas..

Not sure about recording it, but a write-up perhaps. I'm pressed for time as is.

Covering audio is very important - thanks for reminding me. Mic-in jacks are worth their weight in .. gold.

What else?
How best to setup the camera for shooting in low light or over exposed sunlight. Maybe this will be covered in your list but how to improve you shots under diverse conditions is something we are all confronted with at times.

You didn't say but is this a project your doing to bring in a little extra cash. If not, if it was done well, it certainly could be.

HV20 for Idiots, amateurs, & pros.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #7
Major Player

Sure.. best uses for the camera in which location. Thanks.

Nope, this is a "give-back to the community" thing - I want others to realize how useful this little camera is and not be put off by it's small, cheap initial appearance. :D This is me urging people to use it.
Old September 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Nope, this is a "give-back to the community" thing
Like free vidcasts?

Two months ago I knew nothing about Digital Juice. Then I watched their free tutorials, and just loved them. Perry is definetely the best. I own two their products now. (what do you mean "just two"?).

So... If you are selling something, then your vidcasts could boost the sales and serve as grass-roots advertisement. Everybody wins.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2007, 02:30 AM   #9
Major Player

This 'class' will be run informally, in person - that's all I've planned. I don't have the time to devote to podcasting now.

Anyone have anymore suggestions?
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #10
New Boot

Idiot level here : )

I'm disappointed that you're not filming the class.
I have the HV10 and don't use it well.

Oh, well…
As a suggestion I'd add a few words about lighting in various conditions.
(reflectors?)

Good luck!
and let us know how the class went.

Thank you!
Laurentiu Todie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:46 AM   #11
New Boot

Essential Accesssories

Newbee's also need to know which accessories are essential, why, and brief overview on how to use them in order to get the best out of this camera.

As a newbee, I would gladly pay for dvd based IN DEPTH course based training in the HV20. Perhaps a series of DVDs similar to how VASST has done their Vegas training series of DVDs each covering different topics. Show actual HV20 footage examples.

I purchased the "Jumstart the Canon HV20" dvd from BH Photo, but it is more like User Guide Manual in a dvd rather than printed format. Not the in depth info I need.

I understand you are not interested in pursuing a recorded course, but hopefully someone else will. I believe there is a market for it.
Elliott Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 08:20 AM   #12
New Boot

I would have to agree it is a shame to have someone like Robert, who knows this camera very well, I've read many of his posts, not video tape this event.
I realize it's a time element issue, but I wish you would reconsider the taping aspect. Hey, I'm in no hurry for a finished product, just so long as it's under the tree in December!!
Steve MacDonald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders