playing back tapes recorded with other cams on HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 28th, 2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Trustee

playing back tapes recorded with other cams on HV20

I've been going through some tapes shot with FX1, HC1, HV10, XHG1 and XL H1 with HV20 and not only 24p stuff but having problem playing back 60i stuff. Many are failing, skip many frames.

Tapes recorded with HV20 seem to work fine.

How is everyone doing?
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:36 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaku Ito View Post
I've been going through some tapes shot with FX1, HC1, HV10, XHG1 and XL H1 with HV20 and not only 24p stuff but having problem playing back 60i stuff. Many are failing, skip many frames.

Tapes recorded with HV20 seem to work fine.

How is everyone doing?
Thanks for the info. I'll stick with capturing tapes with the original camcorder that shot them in light of what you're saying. Do to minor differences in head alignments, it's probably "best practices" anyway to capture media on original recorder.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Would expensive decks be more forgiving? But that does not let you play back 24f stuff. I used to say HV10/HV20 as use of HDV deck, but I take that back.
Canon should make their own deck providing more reliable ways to get the footage from the tapes. I'm pretty sure that would boost the entire sales because their Camcorders are hot.

Last edited by Kaku Ito; October 1st, 2007 at 03:05 AM.
Old September 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a number of tapes I recorded on my Sony A1U that I had to capture to PC using my HV20 because the A1U's firewire port died. The tapes play fine, no dropouts, no problems at all.
Rob Gregory-Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 03:04 AM   #5
Trustee

Today, I shot some footage with HV20 to see if anything mechanically wrong with my HV20, it seems to record and playback fine.

Some of the FX1 tapes that I have, having problems playing back.
It is funny that I'm having more problems with G1 60i footage than 24P footage.
What I hear is that G1 is with with tighter azimuth that would results in playback problems with other cams (don't know if tighter is the right word but).

But thank you Rob for your input.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:14 PM   #6
Trustee

I heard from my contact that Canon is providing the service to the owners of earlier G1s to adjust the azimuth wider to be more forgiven. They even experienced tapes recorded on earlier G1s not playing on other G1s.
I guess in the beginning, they tried to make the recorded stream tighter on the tape.

My contact at a Canon dealer let me use the G1 for while, so I'm copying the ones having problem playing back to HV20 or even store them as data on my drives or bluray discs.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders