DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 sound distorted playing back DV via HDMI (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/104778-hv20-sound-distorted-playing-back-dv-via-hdmi.html)

Nathan Supan October 1st, 2007 05:44 PM

HV20 sound distorted playing back DV via HDMI

My HV20 has distorted sound when playing back DV SD(wide or normal) via HDMI. Playing back via composite is OK. Playing back HDV/HDV24 via HDMI is OK.
Can anyone verify yours? I did search forum but can't find one. Thanks.

Nathan

Nathan Supan October 1st, 2007 11:07 PM

Anyone? Thanks.

Michael Jouravlev October 1st, 2007 11:09 PM

The only relevant issue I am aware of is that HD HDMI allocates more bandwidth for audio than SD HDMI.

John Hotze October 2nd, 2007 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev (Post 752931)
The only relevant issue I am aware of is that HD HDMI allocates more bandwidth for audio than SD HDMI.

If you take HDMI out of the picture, I thought just the opposite was the case - audio is recorded at a higher quality in DV than in HDV.

I don't know enough to understand the difference in the audio streams of composite versus HDMI.

Nathan Supan October 2nd, 2007 06:30 PM

Can anyone try recording video at SD DV(wide or normal) and then playback it via HDMI of your TV and see if the sound is distorted(cracking) or not? Thanks for your help.

Nathan Supan October 3rd, 2007 08:53 PM

Anyone? Thanks.

Robert Ducon October 4th, 2007 10:04 AM

Nathan, I own the Blackmagic Design Decklink HD Extreme - sort of an older, big brother to the Intensity Pro. My card doesn't have HDMI, but that's okay since it has the more pro HD-SDI. I purchased an HD-SDI to HDMI convertor (that cost more than an Intensity.. lol) so that's how I capture my video.

I don't think I've ever captured audio via the HD-SDI cable with my HV20 and the HD-SDI to HDMI convertor. It's never been an issue yet.. I've always used a third-party solution for sound (mic and boom to a seperate audio recorder) or no sound at all.

The Intesity card looks great - I'd get an Intensity Pro card now if I didn't have any card at all - I would recommend the Pro card over the lower end card anyday.

When I do capture, I use a Macintosh and Final Cut Pro. It allows me to select which audio input I'm using when I import live audio/video, so I bet on the PC you would have a similar option - video source: Intensity Pro, audio source: blah blah sound card input. Do, absolutely, get someone else's opinion who runs a PC setup similar to what you'll be doing.

What software will you be capturing with? I used the included BM software, but moved to FCP quickly because it was more robust.