DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HG10: Bypass AVCHD Encoding With HDMI? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/105166-hg10-bypass-avchd-encoding-hdmi.html)

David Braund October 7th, 2007 10:28 AM

HG10: Bypass AVCHD Encoding With HDMI?

is this possible? for example while recording directly to a laptop/PC, would using HDMI deliver the raw sensor image or processed image?

also, what would be the resolution, 1920x1080 or full CMOS 2K?

thanks

also, does this camera do 24p?

David Saraceno October 7th, 2007 10:46 AM

I was not satisfied with the 24p capabilities of the HG-10.

See below.

David Braund October 7th, 2007 11:15 AM

oh, thanks

have you tried the HV20?

David Saraceno October 7th, 2007 11:36 AM

No.

One of the reasons to elect AVCHD is to avoid tape based acquisition.

Steve Nunez October 22nd, 2007 06:41 PM

I think the Blackmagic Intensity cards will work for capturing video via their HDMI inputs- but it's not for laptops- just desktops.....their site says HDV cams will yield superior video bypassing HDV encoding recording directly with the card to other HD codecs........check out their site for more info.

Les Dit October 22nd, 2007 06:59 PM

What part of the 24P on the HG10 did you find problematic?
Just curious.
-Les

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Saraceno (Post 755543)
I was not satisfied with the 24p capabilities of the HG-10.

See below.

David Saraceno October 23rd, 2007 10:14 AM

The pronounced strobing on slow pans.

Les Dit October 23rd, 2007 11:32 AM

That would depend on the shutter speed and amount of motion blur. I don't see the 24p on the hg10 being any different then any other camera, including film.
Of course if the 24p is not extracted from the 60i correctly you will see out of place frames that ruin the cadence and may be considered strobing.
Unfortunately getting correct 24p is tricky, requiring carefull setup of the h264 codec. Only inspecting an individual frame sequence a frame at a time will verify if it's decoded well. Perhaps that was causing your strobing?

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Saraceno (Post 763311)
The pronounced strobing on slow pans.

Chris Hurd October 23rd, 2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Dit (Post 763343)
I don't see the 24p on the hg10 being any different then any other camera, including film.

Absolutely correct... 24p on the Canon HG10 is of course no different than 24p on any other camera.

David Saraceno October 23rd, 2007 12:05 PM

However, a rolling shutter is different.

My issue isn't with the cam; it's with the cam as a b roll for HVX200.

I used the stock shutter settings out of the box, and removed pulldown correctly in FCP.

I also was not satisfied with the actual image out of the cam. The colors looked muddied to me and my partner.

Ian G. Thompson October 23rd, 2007 01:23 PM

Well.....what "mode" did you have it in? TV, Cinemode, aperature? If by chance you had it in Cinemode (without knowing it) then your colors might have been more "washed" than normal. You should be able to tweak in post. You say "stock" shutter settings...are you just saying you had the cam in auto.....well there you go. Maybe do some tweaking in cam to get the look you want before filming (manual features not nearly as robust as the HVX but....it does have some).

Mikko Lopponen October 23rd, 2007 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Saraceno (Post 763367)
I also was not satisfied with the actual image out of the cam. The colors looked muddied to me and my partner.

If you use cinemode the colors will look washed out because the camera will have a gammacurve that keeps a lot of dynamic range. Just tweak it in post.

David Grim October 30th, 2007 08:22 PM

What I've found is that Cine mode only works well with enough light. It always looks around 2 f-stops darker than in P mode. Setting the white balance to a warm card in P mode really helps the gamma look nice with what I've shot so far.