DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony user gets the hv20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/105667-sony-user-gets-hv20.html)

Mikko Lopponen October 15th, 2007 04:37 AM

Sony user gets the hv20

I finally got my hands on the hv20. I've been using the hc1 and totally love it so I was eager to try out the hv20 and see what it can do.

Here's some early thoughts.

Image quality is definitely better and the cinemode is very natural looking with a good dynamic range. I guess I'll be using it for the most part. I tried the tv-mode but the contrasty edges jumped up immediately. I've been using sharpness at -2 on the hc1, but it still doesn't come as natural as the hv20. Hv20 has more real resolution though the difference isn't huge.

HC1 is way easier to control and operate. I can lock the shutter and basically control aperture and gain with the exposure lever. HV20 is more difficult to operate. I need to press more buttons just to get to the exposure lever and I have no idea how much the camera has gain. It's easy to see on the hc1 (six stops from the right is 0 gain). Haven't found any histrogram controls yet, but they maybe hidden somewhere along with zebras (where are they??!). Locking the exposure happens with one button on the hc1 and 2-3 presses on the hv20.

The viewfinder is a total joke on the hv20 and the lcd is a bit worse in terms of viewing angles. Cinemode is really nice and the progressive image does give a very filmic quality to images. Optical stabiliser is surprisingly bad. The electronic on the hc1 seems to work better, the HV20 likes to jitter and jump a bit too much for my tastes. Sometimes the jump can be huge and that creates a wobbly rolling shutter image.

Speaking of rolling shutter the cams seem to have almost the same amount of it. The hv20 seems to a bit worse or maybe its just the progressive mode giving the appearance of it.

HV20 has a better focusing system when the IAF is activated. It's the perfect autofocus for vacation videos. But I still prefer a manual focus and so the hc1 has the edge with its wheel. Eventhough it's not perfect either.

HV20 has better whitebalance options.

Well. So in conclusion the hv20 looks like a toy but makes great images with some effort. The hc1 looks and handles better but doesn't quite get the images to the same level as the hv20. HV20 has a progressive mode that's very nice.

Still waiting for a good hdv cam in this size class without a rolling shutter. JVC almost got it right, but I don't really care for sensors that are less than 1/3".

Michael Jouravlev October 15th, 2007 10:29 AM

Mikko, if you did not want/need 24p, would you still prefer HC1? Used HC1 cameras are sold for about the same money as new HV20 on eBay.

Mikko Lopponen October 16th, 2007 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Jouravlev (Post 759156)
Mikko, if you did not want/need 24p, would you still prefer HC1? Used HC1 cameras are sold for about the same money as new HV20 on eBay.

Yes.

Reasons = better stabilization, better manual controls, a bit less rolling shutter. Image quality is slightly worse, but I can live with it. It still looks very good.

HV20 does give a better image (no need to deinterlace) and is a great holiday camera. HV20 actually fits in my pocket! Lowlight is definitely improved over the hc1, though it can look decent too when shutter lowered to 1/25. I'm going to use these both cameras in my small indie project this weekend so I'll give more comments then.