Canon HV20, High pitched ringing during capture! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 15th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #1
Tourist

Canon HV20, High pitched ringing during capture!

Hey all. I'm new here, and I bought the HV20 maybe a month and a half ago. I've had nothing but trouble capturing any video longer than 5 minutes or so though.

I'm currently using Adobe Premiere Elements 3.0, on Windows XP Pro, SP2.

My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+
ECS KA3 MVP (V1.0A) AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard
2GB Patriot Extreme Performance DDR 800Mhz (PC2 6400)
300GB Western Digital Sata HD (Primary)
500GB Western Digital Sata HD
ATI Radeon X1950XTX 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16 CrossFire
Audigy XtremeGamer

The problem is that whenever I go to capture video, usually around five or six minutes into the capture, sometimes immediately, all sound stops, and I'm left with a high pitched ringing sound. It goes away when I mute my computer, but no other sound works, and the capture becomes slow and jaggy, skipping actually. I then have no choice but to restart my computer, as I have no way to get rid of the loud, high pitched ringing (maybe whining?). I've tried different things and I still don't even know if the noise is hardware or software related.

Has anyone come across something like this? I'm even recording in DV, as opposed to HDV, as the software seems to recognize that a lot easier, as well as being able to capture a lot more before any sort of "crash."

I'm just really at a loss. This is quite frustrating since this is a $1000 camera, and my computer should be more than up to par. Any help at all would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
Frank Lepore
Frank Lepore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I work on a Mac but haven't had any problems so far. Works smoothly.
I actually captured over 30 hours already.
Maybe something wrong with the cam.
Konrad Czystowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 11:46 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I capture all day long on my AMD self built 3800+ with otherwise similar specs.

You don't say how you are setting up to capture.

Are you trying to monitor sound as you are capturing ? That does not work when you are capturing HDV, as it does with DV. Reason ? Because capture of HDV is simply capture of a stream in file format, but to play it back, as you are capturing requires significant resources to decode the mpeg stream. In DV, that did not occur, thus the capture could be monitored easily.

I suspect issue in Premiere and something going on with audio drivers.

Try downloading HDVsplit, a freeware program for capturing in native .m2t format, and do not monitor video, use your HV20 with LCD to monitor the capture.

With a constant occurqnce of this at a certain common point, I also wonder about hardrive set up, too. Fat 32 would have limited file sizes , versus NTFS ( I think I got that right.)

Keep us posted.
Old October 15th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #4
Major Player

I would follow what Chris said. Make sure the drive is NTFS and NOT Fat 32 for long captures and use HDV Split or CapDVHS to capture. Simply google those.
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:11 PM   #5
Trustee

Long time Premiere and Canon H1 user. Just recently had this happen to me when capturing using the HV20 on 2 different machines. The HV20 has been fine for capture over the last 6 months. Tried Premiere Pro 2.0 and Cs3 and get the same results.

Using the Cineform HDlink capture utility it works but if I try to capture in Premiere Pro I just get a high pitched ringing. Once the ringing starts, it continues for every audio app...meaning if I try to play an mp3, a mov. an avi. or whatever, just a high pitched squeal comes out of the soundcard. So whatever is causing this is essentially locking up the sound card or drivers.

Both computers have a SB audigy II in them. One is actually an Audigy II ZX?

Any other ideas here?

Thanks.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I humbly have to disagree with Chris about monitoring while capturing. I am in the process of recapturing all of my videos (over 200 tapes) to a hard disk. I have purchased a half dozen USB/eSata 320 gig drives for archival storage of m2t files for future editing. I setup my HV20 with firewire to my computer for capture and HDMI + audio out for watching and listening to my videos on a big screen while capturing. It works great.

As a computer tech I did notice one common thread between the two of you that exhibited this problem. Both of you have Audigy boards. I wouldn't think it would be them but I just wanted to point this out. I didn't think they came into play anyway during capture. How does it sound if you plug in a headset or a monitor to the audio out while you capturing or for that matter, just playing the tape from the camcorder. Don't forget you need to change a camera setting to headset instead of AV while monitoring.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi guys..........

It might be worth checking the following:

1. Ensure all video card and sound card drivers are the latest Microsoft Certified drivers (non Certified drivers can give unpredictable results).

2. Download any & all updates and patches to the application software.

3. Check the tape data by plugging the camera into an ordinary telly and monitor the area where it "glitches" - both video & audio.

The most likely reason I can think of for the software/ system to "lose the plot" is a break in the time code whilst ingesting. A single dropped frame (SD)can do this, a dropped "GOP" (HDV) or an inadvertant "forward wind" between two clips, for example. I've had both Premier Elements and Ulead VS10 + dissapear up their own exhaust pipes from both of the latter causes, with serious audio repercussions in each case.

If nothing is evident on the tape, and all the above has been done and it still drops on it's head in certain applications, then HDSplit may be the only answer, as from numerous posts I've seen here it seems to be completely "bomb proof".

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:43 AM   #8
Trustee

I am thinking the Audigy card could be the problem also. I have had the Hv20 since April but I had just built my new editing PC and was using the integrated sound card for sometime. About a month ago I re-installed the Audigy card and everything was working fine. I can't honestly remember if I was capturing any clips during that time except using CIneform HDlink which does no "monitoring or displaying" of HDV data to the PC at all during capture.

I will look into this.

For what it is worth, on my system, the high pitched squealing starts as soon as the capture app in premiere is opened and the HV20 is connected. The tape transport is not even engaged or moving data and the squealing begins. Once it starts, the sound card is locked until a reboot. Closing Premiere eliminated the squeal, but as soon as I play any audio I just hear squealing instead.

Thanks. I will update you if I figure anything out.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders