DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HG10 Next Logical Question- Self installed Hard Drive (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/105815-hg10-next-logical-question-self-installed-hard-drive.html)

Chris Barcellos October 16th, 2007 04:54 PM

HG10 Next Logical Question- Self installed Hard Drive

It looks like HG10 files can be easily edited through Cineform conversion, so now my mind goes to how much this camera can be made to hold in terms of Hard Drive. Anyone considered hard drive replacement yet for higher capacity? It is possible ?

Mike Slavis October 16th, 2007 11:18 PM

Solid State Disk...

Actually, if I do get one of these (and I'm still not sure because I still don't have the "warm and fuzzy" about the 24 frames progressive output being obtainable), the upgrade I was considering was to try and put a Solid State Hard Disk in instead of the magneto-mechanical one it has now. The capacity would actually go DOWN in this case, most likely to a 32 GB Samsung SSHD, but there would be no drive noise/vibration, less power usage, and no moving parts to fail. I just need to look into 2.5" vs. 1.8" and connection issues, etc...maybe someone here is brave enough to crack theirs open first!

mike@slavis.com

Les Dit October 17th, 2007 01:09 AM

I can't hear the drive, even if I put my ear on it in a fairly quiet room. But I'd rather have the lens cap be the only moving part as well ;) I'm sure they shock mounted the drive.

I have verified that the 24p is real. You have to be careful about how you decode it, is all.
-Les

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Slavis (Post 760115)
Actually, if I do get one of these (and I'm still not sure because I still don't have the "warm and fuzzy" about the 24 frames progressive output being obtainable), the upgrade I was considering was to try and put a Solid State Hard Disk in instead of the magneto-mechanical one it has now. The capacity would actually go DOWN in this case, most likely to a 32 GB Samsung SSHD, but there would be no drive noise/vibration, less power usage, and no moving parts to fail. I just need to look into 2.5" vs. 1.8" and connection issues, etc...maybe someone here is brave enough to crack theirs open first!

mike@slavis.com

Chris Barcellos October 17th, 2007 09:42 AM

So, Les, when you cracking it open ? ... :)

David Sayed October 17th, 2007 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Slavis (Post 760115)

mike@slavis.com

I'm convinced it has a tightly coiled spring inside that will send the HG10's innards flying if I open it ;)