DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Neck strap? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/106463-neck-strap.html)

Paul Tauger October 25th, 2007 08:26 AM

Neck strap?

Quick question:

Is it possible to attach a neck strap to the HV20? I'm used to shooting by keeping the camcorder against my chest, suspended by the neck strap -- this gives me considerable stability, and also a better POV than shooting from eye-level.

Is it possible to attach a neck strap to the HV20?

And if not, how in the world do you carry it around all day?

Jason Lee October 25th, 2007 10:45 AM

I'd second that question.

I use a Manfrotto 560b monopod w/ mine (an excellent investment, I must say, for anyone thinking about getting one) and would love a strap that could attach to the camera and/or pod to facilitate carting it all around while still being able to get at it quickly. This is especially true when you have a still camera w/ you as well - as we soccer dads tend to (or at least us geeky ones :-) )

On that front, anyone have recommendations on bags. Maybe w/ straps to hold the 560 when I'm not using it?

Thanks!

BTW - love this forum... followed it for some time before getting my HV20 - excellent information.

Zack Birlew October 25th, 2007 01:11 PM

Well, I just took off the shoulder strap from my GL1 and put it on the HV20. Works fine for me.

Dave Blackhurst October 25th, 2007 02:43 PM

Isn't there a little metal loop on the handstrap for that purpose? Seems cheezy, but when the cam is so small...

Allan Black October 25th, 2007 04:16 PM

Canon sell a WS20 wrist strap for the HV20.

Paul Tauger October 25th, 2007 10:56 PM

I appreciate the responses, but I don't think they really answer my question. I want a neck strap, and I want to use it so that it will balance the camera against my chest, i.e. a connection at the front near the lens and a connection at the back near the battery.

Is there such a thing on the HV20?

This is a very important feature for me, as I do most of my shooting with the camera against my chest, supported by the neck strap. This provides much steadier shooting than hand-holding at eye-level. I also, literally, carry the camera around all day. I have no intention of having to hold it in, or by, my hand when I'm not shooting.

Can the camera take a lens hood? If so, maybe I can kludge something by putting a hook on the hood and attaching a strap to it, with the other side to the back of the hand strap.

Robert Ducon October 26th, 2007 01:56 AM

How do I transport my camera? I carry my camera either leaning agianst my shoulder mounted on a tripod, or in a camera bag with a strap over my shoulder and chest.

I found a strap with two clasps on either end - thin, leather, looked like it might be off a purse - works great for when I need a 'safety'. I also have a strap on my HV20 that came off my old Canon ZR20 - got lucky on that one as it's already branded 'Canon' on it.

Really, you could go to a thrift store and find something off another old device, hi8 camera, purse, bag. It shouldn't be a deal breaker.

Mike Teutsch October 26th, 2007 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Tauger (Post 765023)
I appreciate the responses, but I don't think they really answer my question. I want a neck strap, and I want to use it so that it will balance the camera against my chest, i.e. a connection at the front near the lens and a connection at the back near the battery.

Is there such a thing on the HV20?

This is a very important feature for me, as I do most of my shooting with the camera against my chest, supported by the neck strap. This provides much steadier shooting than hand-holding at eye-level. I also, literally, carry the camera around all day. I have no intention of having to hold it in, or by, my hand when I'm not shooting.

Can the camera take a lens hood? If so, maybe I can kludge something by putting a hook on the hood and attaching a strap to it, with the other side to the back of the hand strap.

Paul,

The simple basic answer to your question is no! All of the attachment points for the hand strap are on the right side and would not work for what you want. Between the hot shoe, flip-out screen, tape transport door, battery and the lens, just about all of the places you could attach strap are unavailable.

When I am out with mine and I'm not shooting, it is in my pocket or if I'm not going to be shooting for quite a while I run my belt through the hand strap and it hangs from there.

A simple cross piece mounted to the tripod mount, with a strap attachment at each end would work great for attaching a strap. The camera would hang nicely from your neck and would be easy to use that way.

If you would like, I can make one for you. It would be very simple.

Good Luck-----Mike

Paul Tauger October 26th, 2007 07:25 AM

Thanks everybody (and thanks, Mike, for the kind offer). I'll try to kludge something together once I see the camera (I just ordered one last night from B&H, so I guess the lack of a strap -- or rather a strap attachment point -- wasn't a deal breaker). B&H had the camera for $849, no tax, free shipping. They were out of the WA lens, so I got that from Adorama for $169 shipped. Now I just need a couple of batteries, a quick charger and a rain cape.

Yesterday morning, we just confirmed plans to go to Cambodia and see Angkor Wat over Thanksgiving, and I couldn't bear the thought of shooting such a magical and mysterious place in standard definition.

Chris Hurd October 26th, 2007 07:29 AM

Pictures, pictures, pictures please! Looking forward to your trip report, Paul. If you devise a neck strap solution, please let us know. Congrats on your HV20 purchase,

Paul Tauger October 26th, 2007 07:41 AM

Thanks, Chris. I'll definitely post something once I get back. Can't wait to get my hands on that camera. ;)

Glen Kim October 29th, 2007 01:06 AM

It sounds like the closest accessory to what you're looking for are Canon's SS-600 and SS-650 Shoulder Straps. Unfortunately, these probably won't help you with what you're looking to do.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SS600-Sh.../dp/B00009V4HF
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SS650-Sh...3640794&sr=1-1
(The reason I went ahead and posted the links is that in the future, people may search the forum for HV20-compatible straps and those links may help them out.)

Anyway, it'd be great to see some footage from your trip!

Edit: found the other strap on Amazon so added the link.

Ray Bell October 29th, 2007 05:18 AM

Paul, for your trip you might consider getting a mono pod for the HV20...

You'll thank yourself for it...

I use the Manfrotto 3245

It works great with that Camera... another advantage with using this type of mono pod is you can use it to reach into the shots... use it as a camera
boom... flip it upside down and you can get some great shots of walking in the jungle or street level shots....

I like the 3245 because its an automatic extend mono pod... you just squeeze the handle and the mono pod extends to the height you want...
so it makes the adjustments very very easy and it fits into a suit case just
perfect for travel.

Paul Tauger October 29th, 2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Bell (Post 766544)
Paul, for your trip you might consider getting a mono pod for the HV20...

You'll thank yourself for it...

I use the Manfrotto 3245

It works great with that Camera... another advantage with using this type of mono pod is you can use it to reach into the shots... use it as a camera
boom... flip it upside down and you can get some great shots of walking in the jungle or street level shots....

I like the 3245 because its an automatic extend mono pod... you just squeeze the handle and the mono pod extends to the height you want...
so it makes the adjustments very very easy and it fits into a suit case just
perfect for travel.

I have an Adorama monopod that I use for this purpose. However, I also do a lot of tripod-based work, as well. For that I use a Manfrotto 3444d carbon fiber tripod with (currently) a Bogen 3160 video head. I'll probably replace the Bogen head with a 700RC2, which is smaller and light and should work fine with the HV20.

Paul Tauger October 29th, 2007 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Kim (Post 766495)
It sounds like the closest accessory to what you're looking for are Canon's SS-600 and SS-650 Shoulder Straps. Unfortunately, these probably won't help you with what you're looking to do.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SS600-Sh.../dp/B00009V4HF
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-SS650-Sh...3640794&sr=1-1
(The reason I went ahead and posted the links is that in the future, people may search the forum for HV20-compatible straps and those links may help them out.)

Anyway, it'd be great to see some footage from your trip!

Edit: found the other strap on Amazon so added the link.

Thanks for the links. I'm not sure, though, how they will work with the HV20, which lacks the buckles to attach them to.