DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sample clip from my 1st day with the HV10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/106542-sample-clip-my-1st-day-hv10.html)

Yang Wen October 25th, 2007 10:14 PM

Sample clip from my 1st day with the HV10

The HV10 arrived at work today. Charged it up and filmed bunch of scenes on my drive back home - probably wasn't the safest thing to do, but there was a lot of traffic today so it worked out.

other than the beginning shots, all shots were done from inside the vehicle, applied magic bullet in Vegas.. I'm impressed with this little camera! Wish the manual settings didn't reset so often and I need to get used to its light weight...

http://tinyurl.com/2jwxrp (43MB) WMV

Coming from DVX100 and GL2, this camera is an upgrade IMO...(hard to believe eh?) Canon's CMOS sensor technology is spectacular! If only they gave us a couple of controls for shutter speed and aperture and we'd be all set! This could be the video camcorder version of the Ricoh GRD, small, cheap and controllable.. I don't suppose there are any people out there who can hack the firmware in this thing to allow more manual controls?

Laurentiu Todie October 26th, 2007 04:55 AM

I'm relatively new in the US and very new to video

but I heard "them" say:
Asians can't drive
I'd comment:
Yah, maybe, but they can do video while driving.

Very nice!
(Be careful out there!)

Marc Israel October 26th, 2007 09:55 AM

this camera is an upgrade

Coming from DVX100 and GL2, this camera is an upgrade IMO...(hard to believe eh?)

how would you honestly compare the video quality to that of the dvx100? & in what other ways are you saying it's an upgrade - serious or half-serious?
thanks & good luck with yr new cam!

Yang Wen October 26th, 2007 10:16 AM

The upgrade was only referring to the overall image quality. I've seen videos from some other 3CCD SD cameras that I deemed as inferior to my DVX in the image quality department. I was able to make that judgment without a side by side comparison to my DVX. While I have not done a side by side comparison between the HDV10 and DVX, but in the same aforementioned way, I can say the image quality of the HV10 is comparable to DVX and the upgrade in resolution is simply awesome.

Marc Israel October 26th, 2007 10:26 AM

do you know if you can record in SD, not HD, on the HV20. and then, how good do you think the image quality would be? i'm very interested in the hv20, but not for its HD, just for the picture quality, the size, price, and the 24p. speaking of 24p, can yu shoot 24p without HD on it?

oh...you have an HV10, not 20..well, still, much of my questions apply...

Yang Wen October 26th, 2007 11:04 AM

The image from my HV10 is very "3CCD-like" and that is in reference to the old assumptions and expectation of a 3CCD camera from the SD days.. For traditional SD cameras I can easily tell the difference between images created by 1CCD and 3CCD cameras..

I truly think this CMOS sensor technology is a huge improvement over previous sensor technologies for consumer and pro-sumer camcorders. I would expect its SD performance to be superior over other SD-only single CCD cameras.

Marc Israel October 26th, 2007 11:08 AM

good. thanks for your input & i the video looked great.
i'm on a mission to find out if the SD perfomance on the hv20 (or10) is much superior to my 3 chips panasonic pv-gs500...if so, i'll buy it...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 765273)
The image from my HV10 is very "3CCD-like" and that is in reference to the old assumptions and expectation of a 3CCD camera from the SD days.. For traditional SD cameras I can easily tell the difference between images created by 1CCD and 3CCD cameras..

I truly think this CMOS sensor technology is a huge improvement over previous sensor technologies for consumer and pro-sumer camcorders. I would expect its SD performance to be superior over other SD-only single CCD cameras.

Yang Wen October 26th, 2007 11:21 AM

I'll let you know..

However, you should know that one can always downsize HD footage to SD, in that case, the end result guaranteed to be much better than your GS500..

Even in SD/DV mode, the HV10 can shoot true 16:9 video.

Marc Israel October 26th, 2007 11:26 AM

so, is there a mode on the cam called "SD/DV" - you don't have to film in HD? or do you downsize the hd to sd in the camera itself and/or upon export to computer later? also, how is the "cinema mode" - that's different from 24p, correct?
thanks yang...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 765292)
I'll let you know..

However, you should know that one can always downsize HD footage to SD, in that case, the end result guaranteed to be much better than your GS500..

Even in SD/DV mode, the HV10 can shoot true 16:9 video.

Yang Wen October 26th, 2007 11:29 AM

There is an SD mode, once you put it on that mode the 16:9 LCD is cropped to show a 4:3 image. The resolution drops noticeably, even on the LCD.. I assume in that mode, it will record normal DV25 data to the miniDV tape. I have not tried this yet.

The HV10 doesn't have cinema mode or 24p It is simply 60i. I think the cinema mode on the HV20 changes the image gamma and softens the image - in an attempt to simulate film.

Marc Israel October 26th, 2007 11:39 AM

this is all very good to know & hard to find info. that's very much yang!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yang Wen (Post 765299)
There is an SD mode, once you put it on that mode the 16:9 LCD is cropped to show a 4:3 image. The resolution drops noticeably, even on the LCD.. I assume in that mode, it will record normal DV25 data to the miniDV tape. I have not tried this yet.

The HV10 doesn't have cinema mode or 24p It is simply 60i. I think the cinema mode on the HV20 changes the image gamma and softens the image - in an attempt to simulate film.

Jerome Terry November 2nd, 2007 09:59 PM

Yang,
Your footage with the HV10 is very cool. I have the HV20 and love it. BTW, what was the music you used for your video?

Jerome

Yang Wen November 6th, 2007 01:31 PM

Thanks..

it was a track from the Lost in Translation soundtrack.. can't remember the name..

Ricardo Moyano November 6th, 2007 08:53 PM

congratulations!

fantastic video!

Dennis Kasimian November 14th, 2007 07:56 PM

Great video Yang, as are your subsequent vid posts with the HV10. Just one question not vidio related. Love the music in that first video. Can you tell me who that is? Thanks.