Apple has posted a technote on working with HV20 24p footage in FCP 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 26th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #1
Major Player

Apple has posted a technote on working with HV20 24p footage in FCP 6

Apple has posted a technote on working with HV20 24p footage in FCP 6...

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306389

I haven't seen this posted. I'm sure Compressor workflows have been posted before but it's good to see Apple post about it. The workflow looks pretty simple. Does anyone know if FCP is capturing to an intermediate format or is it capturing the native HDV stream?
Old October 26th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Cool for Apple for doing this! I hope more NLEs follow the idea and help their customers.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #3
Major Player

Good to see i've been doing the "Apple Recommended" work flow for months now!

I've never risked it to see if I could capture straight to ProRes as per Wes' suggestion. I think that'd be great if possible, however, it'd increase the intial storage needs, and you'd *still* need to rerender to reverse telecine the footage.

It'll be wondeful if/when Apple will have FCP know what the user it trying to do when importing certain footage from a certain camera (say, an HV20) and detect the footage cadence automatically, reverse telecine it, and capture it to the codec of choice on the fly. An "HV20 24P" preset would do nicely.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders