DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HG10 and downconverting to SD? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/106674-hg10-downconverting-sd.html)

Aaron Rosen October 27th, 2007 06:46 PM

HG10 and downconverting to SD?

Hi Ya'll.

I'm looking at buying the HG10 and have ironed out the workflow issues for editing. My last question would be how to go about downconverting it on a DVD to play on an SD screen. I don't plan on usng any HD stuff but really like the fact that it's an HD camera and has a HDD.

All of the footage should be for personal or inhouse use which is why I've got no need for a full HD end product.

I'd also assume that output to the web would be the same as it is now.

Thanks.

- A

Mike Slavis October 27th, 2007 10:49 PM

PC or Mac?

Aaron,

PC or Mac? If it's PC, the "Corel Application Software" (Ulead MovieStudio) that comes with the camcorder will do this with simply cut-editing, if needed.

If Mac, I'm the wrong guy to answer and hopefully someone else will speak up.

mike@slavis.com

Aaron Rosen October 28th, 2007 01:02 PM

Thanks for the reply Mike.

I'm using a Mac.

Dmitriy Uchakin October 29th, 2007 10:13 AM

What is your workflow? That would really dictate of how to go about converting it to SD. Overall, conversion to SD would be very simple compared to other "fun" acrobatics that you have to do with the HG10 footage to get it to behave like you want to.

Are you using FCP? If so, which version?

Aaron Rosen October 29th, 2007 04:40 PM

Hi.

I'm using FCP 4.5 on an iMac 2.0 with 2 gigs of memory. I can transcode the MTS files with voltiac (spelled wrong I think) and then view them as a normal QT file from there.

I'm now not sure that my computer has enough oomph to run FCP at a 1080i setting as it keeps crashing the program and complaining it is missing a codec. I can however edit to my hearts content in iMovie HD. I've been able to output from iMove to web or a DVD if I want.

This brings up another question: Which FCP Easy Setup or settings should I be using for the HG10 footage? This could be my issue too.

Thanks!

Sean McCormick October 29th, 2007 11:00 PM

Hi Aaron,

I recently bought the HG10 and I've been hammering out workflow issues for a few days now.

Here's a screenshot of the sequence settings for FCP 6 (Log and Transfer automatically transcodes to ProRes or AIC for editing):
http://www.seanmccormick.biz/outbox/...eqsettings.jpg

So far, I transfer footage from the cam using FCP, edit, then for SD DVD output I've tweaked one of the compressor presets, making sure that field dominance is set for "top" or "odd".

I shot some outdoor test stuff during sundown yesterday, here's an iPod-friendly version: http://www.seanmccormick.biz/outbox/...gunagloria.m4v

On the still camera side, here's a pic:
http://www.seanmccormick.biz/outbox/HG10/backyard.JPG

I haven't had any luck with Voltaic (for working with 2GB file spans, I had probs with FCP and spanned files), I don't think they support the HG10 properly yet.

Good luck and let me know how things go!

Sean

Aaron Rosen October 29th, 2007 11:12 PM

Thanks for the reply Sean.

I just bought the camera about 30 min ago. I shot some out of the box stuff of my wife and the dogs lounging around, staring at me while I giggled - apparently the new camera smell makes me silly.

I shot 6 really quick sets which are being converted by Voltiac right now. So far all is well. I can edit them (the 2 which are converted) in iMovie and will try FCP tomorrow.

The camera is charging for a full day of being out and about with real light. I'll post my initial shots and feelings soon.

- A

Sean McCormick October 29th, 2007 11:40 PM

Sure, and congrats!

What Voltaic preset are you using?

Aaron Rosen October 29th, 2007 11:40 PM

Ok. I've got my first shot uploaded to my server for all to see. My beagle is ignoring me as usual.

I still havn't got a clue how to tweek the image settings to look right and this was shot in really low light. To top it off I compressed it pretty hard.

Overall not to bad for $1000. I'm sure in the light after I figure it out the image quality will be far better.

Here's the link: http://hg10.lastwebsiteonearth.com/first.mov

As for the Voltiac setting. I'm using the first option: Sony HDR-SR1 5, 7, 8. They told me to use the Panny setting which didn't work. Turns out they were under the impression the HG10 shot 1920 x 1080 when it really shoots 1440 x 1080 (right?). Anyway, after trial and error with each of their settings, both for FCP and iMovie, I found the Sony setting works. I'll need to go back through it with my footage to see what's better going forward from here.

After I shoot tomorrow I'll upload more.

Aaron Rosen October 31st, 2007 06:43 PM

Sean.

I don't have the ability to choose you settings in FCP 4.5. Is there an easy setup file that you can save from your settings and post?

Randolph Duke November 10th, 2007 03:22 PM

after reading so many work around solutions-
I don't understand the struggle.
I'm curious why people with FCP are not using a capture card?
I capture from a HG10 with a Black Magic card.
I use a component cable and capture as DVCproHD1080i.
Footage plays and edits without any issues.
I think they even sell a cheap HDMI capture card.
Am I losing quailty by going this way?
What's the advantage of editing with the native AVCHD code?

Michael Jouravlev November 13th, 2007 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randolph Duke (Post 773351)
after reading so many work around solutions-
I don't understand the struggle.
I'm curious why people with FCP are not using a capture card?
I capture from a HG10 with a Black Magic card.
I use a component cable and capture as DVCproHD1080i.
Footage plays and edits without any issues.
I think they even sell a cheap HDMI capture card.
Am I losing quailty by going this way?
What's the advantage of editing with the native AVCHD code?

Randolph, in another thread you said that you use this camcorder to shoot outside. I suppose since you appreciate the small size of the camera, you record onto the built-in HDD, not to a computer that you are lugging around. In this case I don't see the merits of using the Black Magic card.

Do you capture already recorded video through this card? What is the point in doing this? The video already has been written to the disk, why would you want to convert it again through HDMI->Intensity? Why would you want to use component cables for already recorded digital video? Then you will have to convert it again in your NLE. My understanding is that you do this in realtime, one minute of upload time per one minute of recorded video. If this is true, this is madness. Or maybe I just don't understand your workflow, please correct me if I am wrong.

The whole point of having a file-based camcorder is to upload video as files over USB to a computer and then do editing. I could understand if you wanted SD video, then capturing via Firewire in SD mode would make sense, though I don't know whether HG10 can emulate a traditional DV camcorder in such a fashion.

Randolph Duke November 13th, 2007 03:57 PM

I'm working on a PowerPC Mac Quad and when I tried to capture prores422 through firewire- I got a warning telling me AVCHD is not supported on PowerPC. That's why I go through my capture card. I realize the "real time" capture issue- but that doesn't bother me. I'm more concerned about quality issues- footage looks very good- but I imagine I'm losing some information along the way.
If you know of a better way- let me know.
Thanks.