playing HG10 vids on a 360 HDDVD player at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 30th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #1
Tourist

playing HG10 vids on a 360 HDDVD player

Well I've had my hg10 a couple of days now and love it. But I am wanting some way to watch the highdef videos on my TV. Burning regular SD DVDs is ok, but I want HD. I have been told that you could create an HDDVD with something like Ulead but actually burn it to DVD media (being limited by the DVD size of course), and an HDDVD player would play it HD just like it was an HDDVD. This true? Could I make HD DVDs burned to DVD media and watch it on a 360 HDDVD addon?
John Selph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Blu-Ray, not HD DVD (from what I read in the manual)

John,

From what I've read in the manual, it's not HD DVD that supports playback of the AVCHD DVD-R media (The HD on DVD you're referring to that Ulead's MovieStudio can, indeed, burn), it's Blu-Ray. This means a Blu-Ray player or Playstation 3 will play it back High Def. The XBox 360, I don't think so, although it would be great if someone could prove this wrong.

I've got feelers out right now to find someone with a PS3 connected to a 1080P LCD which supports TRUE 1080p24 to see if it will properly Inverse Telecine the 24p from the HG10 AQVCHD and output to the monitor as 1080p24, which is what it should do...but you know how this cutting edge stuff is. :P

FYI, I don't own an XBox 360 or PS3, but would most likely get one if it will 1080p24 the HG10 AVCHD on DVD-R!!

mike@slavis.com
Mike Slavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 05:48 PM   #3
New Boot

xbox 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Selph View Post
Could I make HD DVDs burned to DVD media and watch it on a 360 HDDVD addon?
John,
I have converted HG10 video files to WMV HD and burned them to regular CDR and DVDR to watch on my XBox 360. I'm still playing with bitrates to find the best size vs quality solution for my tastes but it works as an HD viewing solution.
James Neal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM   #4
New Boot

James,

Is the end result of your disk creating process a VOB file or an AVI file?

Thanks,

Theo
www.joelovelamps.com
www.risingsunretail.com
Theo Mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 04:05 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Neal View Post
John,
I have converted HG10 video files to WMV HD and burned them to regular CDR and DVDR to watch on my XBox 360. I'm still playing with bitrates to find the best size vs quality solution for my tastes but it works as an HD viewing solution.

How are you converting them to WMV HD files? Is it a free solution?
Old November 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM   #6
New Boot

Hi John, check Mike Slavis' excellent post on creating (encoding) WMV files from the HG10 MTS files at - http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...=105621&page=3

Amit
Amit Mantri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM   #7
New Boot

author HD-DVD on regular DVD-R media

John, regarding your original question, apparantly it is possible to author HD-DVD to regular DVD-R media and I guess these should work on the XBOX 360 HD-DVD player too.

See - http://avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146

Extract -

"The Official AVS Guide to HD DVD Authoring -
This guide will take you through the creation of your own HD DVDs step by step. This process uses regular DVD recordables (and double layer DVD recordables) to create HD DVD discs that will play on a standard HD DVD player (such as the Toshiba A1 or XA1). At present, high definition MPEG2 files at resolutions of 1920x1080i, 1440x1080i (HDV) and 1280x1080i work without additional conversion within the software."
Amit Mantri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:38 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Are you simply wanting to watch them on your TV through your xbox 360? If so, you can just copy the movie files to a jump drive and plug it into your xbox . Or you can stream them. The AVCHD files should play without any problems.
www.xedgehosting.com
Jeffery Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:59 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Mantri View Post
At present, high definition MPEG2 files at resolutions of 1920x1080i, 1440x1080i (HDV) and 1280x1080i work [on Toshiba] without additional conversion within the software."
AFAIK, presently one has to convert AVCHD to MPEG-2 to play on a HD-DVD. I searched for ways to play AVCHD on HD-DVD player, and so far it seems there is no firmware patch that allows that. I hope that Toshiba will release a patch, because Toshiba announced its own AVCHD camcorder and its natural desire should be to make it compatible with its own hi-def players.

Last edited by Michael Jouravlev; December 3rd, 2007 at 01:50 PM.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #10
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffery Patch View Post
Are you simply wanting to watch them on your TV through your xbox 360? If so, you can just copy the movie files to a jump drive and plug it into your xbox . Or you can stream them. The AVCHD files should play without any problems.
Just to not confuse others, I want to state that this will not work. I did actually try it too. Even with the Dec07 update, the Xbox 360 can't even see m2ts files. And if you rename it to avi or mp4, it says the format is not supported.
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #11
New Boot

You can also use Pinnacle Studio 11, Plus or Ultimater versions to burn HD content on regular DVD media. Here is a comparison of the various versions they have:
http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSit...ison+Chart.htm
Hassan Khawaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #12
New Boot

End result..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo Mason View Post
James,

Is the end result of your disk creating process a VOB file or an AVI file?

Thanks,

Theo
Theo, the end result was a WMV file.
Old December 27th, 2007, 09:05 PM   #13
New Boot

I tried it too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Selph View Post
Just to not confuse others, I want to state that this will not work. I did actually try it too. Even with the Dec07 update, the Xbox 360 can't even see m2ts files. And if you rename it to avi or mp4, it says the format is not supported.
Same here. It won't read them. The PS3 will play them (from what I've read) but not the Xbox 360.
Old December 29th, 2007, 07:09 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Ulead 11 Plus, with its patches will write AVCHD disks, or HD DVD disks on to ordinary red light DVDs. HD DVD disks come out as Mpeg files in an HVDVD_TS dir on the disk, and you can get about 20-25mins on a disk. The video files are held as 1GB .EVOs alongside .BUP and .IFO files. It will also write BD disks, but expects a 25GB BD writeable disk. A third option is to write an 'AVCHD' disk which it will do onto an ordinary DVD, and it comes out with a BLu Ray directory structure and compressed MPEG4 AVC video files.
I have only a PC to play these disks on, they all play OK using PowerDVD Ultra, however unless you install UDF2.5 drivers on the machine, you can't browse the disks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders