HV20 working out well for greenscreen! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #16
Major Player

Yeah, I'm focusing my development efforts on Final Cut Pro right now. FCP has an amazing realtime processing path, and it's very accessible to developers...
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #17
Major Player

As a long-time DV Matte Pro user, I am very excited about what I'm seeing there for the new version...

I'm also considering an HV20 as a second camera... so it's nice to know that it will capture chroma-keyable footage okay.
Old November 7th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #18
Major Player

This new version is a whole new world... and the HV20 is an awesome machine!
Old November 8th, 2007, 08:00 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Are you going to have a new version for After Effects or Premiere Pro?
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #20
Major Player

Maybe at some point, but not right away... I'm moving away from traditional CPU-based effects. Once you see a MacBook Pro playing back a 720p dvmatte pro composite in realtime -- and you're able to tweak dvmatte parameters as it's playing -- After Effects begins to look extremely unappealing.
Old November 9th, 2007, 02:45 PM   #21
Major Player

Your hair is transparent.

Maybe you have thinning hair too like me.. ;)
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2007, 03:01 PM   #22
Major Player

Yeah, I might have gone a little too light on the hair... there's a slider that lets you adjust how dark those fine details are.
Old November 10th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #23
Major Player

Very nice. I'm going to have to give the new version a hard look. Will you post back here when it is available?

Your sample was scaled down to SD. Do you really think that at HD dimensions the added color resolution of straight HDMI capture (4:2:2 vs HDV's 4:2:0) won't make a significant difference in edge quality?
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #24
Major Player

Joseph,

The sample I posted is in HD resolution -- to see the full 720p, make sure you have the "HD on" button toggled in the Vimeo player. You probably want to hit "full screen" too...

You'll probably see a small advantage from capturing to HDMI, but for most subjects, the pain of shooting tethered to a desktop machine with an HDMI board won't be worth it. I know I'd rather shoot to tape or to a laptop... :)
Old November 11th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #25
Major Player

Found the Quicktime at the bottom of the screen.

Very nice raw results. With the right lighting and the appropriate bkg plate you defintely could make tricky composites that sell on screen, even with HDV.

Please do let us know when the new version ships. Do you have a list of the improvements anywhere?
Old November 11th, 2007, 02:12 PM   #26
Major Player

Not yet, but the improvements are basically:

- Vastly improved fine detail response. It's now possible to preserve even the finest details. Tiny wisps of blonde hair can be reproduced.

- Dynamic spill suppression. Normal spill suppression corrects the green of the greenscreen to one specific color -- usually a brownish gray. The new dvmatte considers the background when de-spilling, changing the spill parameters on a per-pixel level.

- When compared with older versions of dvmatte, the new version is somewhere between 10 to 100 times faster, thanks to GPU acceleration. You can key 720p footage in realtime on a laptop!
Old November 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM   #27
Major Player

That's some list!
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:31 PM   #28
Major Player

:)

In the past, the software was really the limiting factor. You could have pretty good footage, but not be able to make an acceptable composite. But with this new version, I think we're finally brushing up against the limits of the greenscreen process itself...

The new fidelity of the process can be a double-edged sword; reproducing all that subtle detail means we're also reproducing any tiny mistakes or problems. The new dvmatte will render even the finest wisps of hair, but if you're not careful, it can also faithfully reproduce vignetting, uneven lighting, camera noise, and tiny screen imperfections. If you use a cloth greenscreen like I sometimes do (the ones from Composite Components are the best on the planet), you have to be careful when shooting HD, because dvmatte will even reproduce the fine weave of the fabric!

Of course, I have tools in the dvmatte toolbox to deal with that, including a screen correction plug-in, and a screen cleaner that scrubs away detail from empty areas of the screen. But the less work those plugins have to do, the better.

It'll be interesting to see how people take to this new version -- it shifts a lot of weight from my shoulders to the person lighting and shooting...
Old November 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM   #29
New Boot

When will it be available?

Hey Ben, the new version looks awesome!!! Do you have any idea on when it will be available for purchase, and what it will be called? I'm anxious to get my hands on it.... Thanks!

Stefan szabo
Stefan Szabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #30
Major Player

Thanks Stefan!

From what I gather, we're set to release sometime late this month or early in December. It'll still be called "dvmatte pro," and will still be distributed through dvgarage.com
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders