HV20 working out well for greenscreen! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 4th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Major Player

HV20 working out well for greenscreen!

Hey all,

I'm working on a new version of dvmatte pro, and so far, the HV20 is really faring well! Check it out here...

A couple notes:
I'm currently evaluating different image controls on the HV20 to maximize the results for greenscreen. So far I've been using a "Custom" image setting, but I'm going to do some tests with the "Low Sharpening" mode soon. The custom settings I'm using right now are Sharpening -1, Contrast -1, Color -1, Brightness +1... I'm also shooting in 24p, and using the Cine setting. Those Custom settings combined with the Cine look gets you the lowest-contrast image out of this camera, which is invaluable when doing further processing... Also, the miniSD trick really helps when you're doing keying, because you want to be at 0db gain.

I'm frankly pretty blown away by the image quality on this $900 palmcorder... The times, they are a-changin'...

- ben

Last edited by Ben Syverson; November 4th, 2007 at 11:33 PM. Reason: added image mode details
Ben Syverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Major Player

Someone asked about my greenscreen setup -- I shot this against two pieces of fluorescent-green posterboard taped together. For headshots, this stuff is actually pretty nice. It's a very bright green, which is just what you want. And you can't beat the price, at $1/sheet. :)
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Good deal - i've had very good results as well capturing HDMI.

Are you going HDV or HDMI?
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:23 AM   #4
Major Player

HDV -- I don't have a way to capture HDMI yet. I'd be curious to compare the two. Although I don't think the HDV compression is the limiting factor anymore...
Old November 5th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #5
Regular Crew

that looks really good! ill have to check out your keyer sometime.
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Adam! This new version will be a doozy.
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm impressed the HDV did so well for you!

However, capturing with CINEFORM is immensely superior - if you ever get the opportunity i'd definitely give it a try!
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 02:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
Hey all,

I'm working on a new version of dvmatte pro, and so far, the HV20 is really faring well! Check it out here...

A couple notes:
I'm currently evaluating different image controls on the HV20 to maximize the results for greenscreen. So far I've been using a "Custom" image setting, but I'm going to do some tests with the "Low Sharpening" mode soon. The custom settings I'm using right now are Sharpening -1, Contrast -1, Color -1, Brightness +1... I'm also shooting in 24p, and using the Cine setting. Those Custom settings combined with the Cine look gets you the lowest-contrast image out of this camera, which is invaluable when doing further processing... Also, the miniSD trick really helps when you're doing keying, because you want to be at 0db gain.

I'm frankly pretty blown away by the image quality on this $900 palmcorder... The times, they are a-changin'...

- ben
I'm not familiar with how a keyer works but I was thinking that you could only use them with pro cameras. Where can I get some information on the dvmatte pro?
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2007, 03:44 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hotze View Post
I'm not familiar with how a keyer works but I was thinking that you could only use them with pro cameras. Where can I get some information on the dvmatte pro?
Yeah, a lot of people assume they can't do greenscreen unless they have a high-end camera, but you can get some great results with small cameras these days!

dvGarage distributes my stuff, but I'm about to release a new version -- check the site in a couple weeks!
Old November 5th, 2007, 04:02 PM   #10
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Syverson View Post
Yeah, a lot of people assume they can't do greenscreen unless they have a high-end camera, but you can get some great results with small cameras these days!

dvGarage distributes my stuff, but I'm about to release a new version -- check the site in a couple weeks!
I didn't realize you wrote this stuff. I just looked at the dvmatte products on the dvgarage website. Very impressive!
Paul Tauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 04:27 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Very impressive for an inexpensive camera and impressive software too.
Stephen Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 05:05 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Ben,
I've been considering experimenting with no budget greenscreen work for a long time and would like to go into this. Especially because, with no budget, you need all the help you can get to make your film look more than it is -- and greenscreen is a marvelous way to do that (with no boundaries!). When I have time I'll sort out my plans and get your software.

sorry to go off topic, but is your LinBayer software still available? I know several years ago you were experimenting with a Sumix camera head -- there's a new one out with a credible sensor (look in the Alternative Imaging section). Your program may be of interest to the people on that thread...

Regards,
John.
John Wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #13
Regular Crew

cool, ill be checking back soon. need to try that posterboard idea too, looks like it gives good results.
Adam Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wyatt View Post
Especially because, with no budget, you need all the help you can get to make your film look more than it is -- and greenscreen is a marvelous way to do that (with no boundaries!).
Definitely -- greenscreen has become routine for even non-effects movies in Hollywood, and I'd like to see indies have the same flexibility!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wyatt View Post
sorry to go off topic, but is your LinBayer software still available?
Geez, I don't even know where LinBayer is in my archives... It wouldn't be hard to replicate that work. It was basically a logic-based debayer algorithm on top of a pretty basic two-pass 1D interpolation (spline?). The logic-based bit was good for pixel-level detail, but it freaked out when it encountered moire, noise, or fine detail past nyquist.

These days, I'd probably strip out the logic layer and just work on getting the best possible interpolation.

Incidentally, it would be very easy to write a GPU-accelerated bilinear debayer plugin for previewing raw footage -- it would run faster than realtime on most systems...
Old November 7th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Ben is the new version of dvmatte pro Mac-only?
John Wyatt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders