DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Why did the HV20 take a 150 swing up at BH? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/107308-why-did-hv20-take-150-swing-up-bh.html)

Matt Buys November 5th, 2007 07:06 PM

Why did the HV20 take a 150 swing up at BH?

I was just about to buy another one at BH at 749 and then when I had the cash . . . 899? Is it the dollar? If so, then maybe I should buy one before they're 1800?

Ben Syverson November 5th, 2007 07:12 PM

Maybe they were on special before? $749 is pretty good...

David Braund November 5th, 2007 08:14 PM

can i order one from the UK?

the pound is looking really good right now

Michael Wisniewski November 5th, 2007 10:28 PM

As any bargain shopper knows, you don't wait for winter to get the best prices on skis, you wait until the beginning of summer. Betcha get a better price on that HV20 closer to New Years Day.

Nacho Ruiz November 5th, 2007 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Braund (Post 770787)
can i order one from the UK?

You would have the NTSC 60i Problem with a US HV20

Ben Syverson November 6th, 2007 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Braund (Post 770787)

If I lived in the UK, I'd take an empty suitcase to New York and fill it up with as much stuff as I could buy... Good time to live on the Continent!

Meryem Ersoz November 6th, 2007 09:20 AM

matt, i think it was a temporary price reduction to stay competitive with other retailers that were offering it at around the $800 level, but i think those prices have expired elsewhere as well. sometimes you only have a short window to grab those kinds of deals....

Bruce Foreman November 6th, 2007 11:55 AM

I got my order in Sat evening (Nov 3) while it was at $798.

Should arrive at my doorstep tomorrow about 6PM. I noticed it at $749 but hadn't been pushed over the edge yet.

Damn, I really wanted the XH A1 but...

Wes Vasher November 6th, 2007 02:05 PM

B&H had them for $749! Dang, they were practically giving them away.

David Braund November 6th, 2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nacho Ruiz (Post 770853)
You would have the NTSC 60i Problem with a US HV20

im not filming direct to tape

but to disk, for NLE editing

would that still be a problem?

Carl Middleton November 6th, 2007 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Braund (Post 771260)
im not filming direct to tape

but to disk, for NLE editing

would that still be a problem?

Yes. The frame rate is still saved, and then you have to deal with it in post. NTSC (60i) will not play well with others (PAL, 50i), without a re-render.

To have to always re-render all of your footage would quickly drive you insane, and frame rate changing renders are never quick and painless.

C

Matt Buys November 7th, 2007 10:02 PM

I'd be careful with any online seller that sells something cheaper than BH. I think if you do a quick google of that company with review in the word you might see why. It's a big reason Chris gets upset when he sees people posting other websites that are not DVI sponsors. I'm sure it pains him when this website might inadvertently facilitate people getting taken advantage of . . . Most 'great deals' like the one you found are from people preying on trusting people like you and me who are counting are pennies and can least afford to suffer the consequences.

The biggest giveaway I've found is the suspect website invariably has some smiling babe with a phone headset on and when you do call you get some big, hairy sounding guy in Brooklyn.

James David Walley November 8th, 2007 01:58 AM

I've had lots of good luck with B&H, and have used it for many equipment purchases over the last decade. Still, I'm not really comfortable with a blanket "if it's cheaper than B&H, it's probably a scam" rule. The fact is, B&H rarely offers much if anything in the way of a price break (I bought from them for equipment I couldn't readily purchase in this area), and, while browsing, I've seen lower prices on many items from e-tailers with whom I've also had reliable dealings, such as BuyDig, OneCall, and NewEgg. I think that assuming the worst about anyone charging less than B&H will cost both the consumer and the market, as it will hurt legitimate, ethical B&H competitors such as the companies I mentioned above. Put it another way: one could easily make a similar claim that, if you really wanted to avoid getting scammed, you should disregard mail-order or e-tailers (including B&H) altogether and only buy your product "hands-on" at local big-box stores like Best Buy or Circuit City.

Chris Hurd November 8th, 2007 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Buys (Post 772034)
I'm sure it pains him when this website might inadvertently facilitate people getting taken advantage of...

Indeed, that is the very reason why I take the time to remove such references from public view and occasionally close the accounts of those who insist on posting them. Just so you know. Thanks Matt,

Andrew Swihart November 8th, 2007 08:42 AM

OK sorry Chris I didn't know you had these rules, I won't do that anymore.