Using the HV20 for Web at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 6th, 2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Using the HV20 for Web

I wanted to ask the opinion of some users of the HV20. I have an ongoing project for which we will be shooting some short video pieces for the web. These are short instructional pieces that will be used as the base fro the web site. Their are also DVD's that will be shot for which I will rent a primary camera.

I was wondering how well you thought the HV20 would work for that and possibly as a B cam for the other shoots. I was looking at it as a way to have a camera here to shoot the short pieces with as we had time without the expense of renting and until I decided what I want to buy.

Consumer cams usually scare me because I have no controls. I have always for most of the things I have done shot with a BetaCam, F330, or full size pro cam of that nature. this doesn't have that kind of budget at the moment nor does it really need it. So I am just trying to find a cost effective way to have a cam here.

thanks

Kyle
Kyle Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I shot these videos using the HV20. Worked very well. Download the video on the right side in either QT or WMV to see the clarity. No color correction and very minimal or natural lighting. Camera is sweet!

http://childrensmuseumofphoenix.org/...ultimedia.aspx
Jae Staats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:04 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Jae,

thanks a million, that was just what i wanted to see

K
Kyle Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

no problem, good luck with your project!
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

what was your workflow?

Jae - that is a very, very nice video! I'm just starting out with Final Cut Pro and the HV20 and have few questions:

1. did you deinterlace? What where your steps to get from HDV to final Flash?

2. The shots where the camera were moving looked very smooth. Did you use any devices to steady the camera?

3. For sound, the kids sound so clear with "let's open it". Did you use a boom mike - or do a voice over in post to get the clarity?

4. If you used Final Cut Pro, and tips you might have that you found useful would be appreciated!

5. Did you use any 3rd party effects? The effects on the credits were nice.

Thanks!
Les Caudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks so much! Here are some answers to your questions...

1. Yes, I shot that in 60/30i and then de-interlaced in Final Cut Pro. I used the de-interlace filter (odd frames) in Final Cut Pro. I then exported as a QuickTime Movie and checked the box "Make Movie Self-Contained." I then brought it into my Flash program and simply converted to Flash. PLayed around with the bit rate and size a few times until I liked the outcome.

2. Amazingly enough, I shot the entire thing freehand, except where the kids were dancing and saying their lines into the camera, that was on a tripod. I just made sure my hand/camera was really steady and I had the image stabilizer on (a menu setting).

3. No, I just used the Canon DM-50 Shotgun mic that you can buy for the HV20. It's a great accessory and it doesn't pick up the camera noise that you sometimes get with the on board mic.

4. Not sure I have any tips for FCP, I just basically captured my footage and then created my video in the timeline. I edit really basic, not too many effects or transitions. I did use the Color Filter to correct some of the white balance and hue, but that's about it. I think a couple of slow mo's here and there as well!

5. No third party effects, just the tools in FCP. The end credits were title sequences that come with FCP6 and made for HD content, really make the video professional I think and easy and fun to use.

I hope that helps. I have shot the last 10 years with the XL1 and XL2 and thought it was laughable to think of doing a video project for a client with the HV20, but it truly does work. I didn't want to spend $9000 for the H1 and I think Canon might come out with a new camera soon, so I am just using the HV20 in the meantime and it works great.
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi,
I also want to get into the web video scene... No not that kind of video, just fun family kind of stuff that people can view on their monitors, psp's, and iphones... Which Eugenia provided some great templates for.

Anyways, What are you guys using for framerate? Since framerate is tied to file size, I've been deinterlacing 60i to 30p, and halving the framerate to 15fps. Or, if I've been doing 24p, I've been halving that to 12fps. It actually isn't bad when played back on the web, and the file size is much less.

Just wondering what everyone else is doing.
Bob C
Bob Curnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:26 PM   #8
Regular Crew

If I am keeping the video file small, like under 400 pixels, then I will use half the frame rate, but if I show a HD video at 1280x720 or 960x540 or even 640x360, I use full frame rate.
Jae Staats is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders