DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   iMovie export (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/108397-imovie-export.html)

John Tatten November 20th, 2007 11:27 AM

iMovie export

I have just edited my first Movie from my H20 using iMovie. I cannot see an option to export the edited movie back to the camera.

Please help!

Brandon Svec November 20th, 2007 01:24 PM

I think you can't with iMovie '08. Check this out:

http://imovie08.blogspot.com/2007/09...to-camera.html

Joseph H. Moore November 23rd, 2007 11:48 PM

I think you either need to downgrade to iMovie HD, or upgrade to FCE, in order to export to tape.

John Tatten November 24th, 2007 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 780956)
I think you either need to downgrade to iMovie HD, or upgrade to FCE, in order to export to tape.

Thanks for your advice. My iMac came with Tiger installed and the Leopard DVD was also in the box with the Mac. I immediately did a clean install of Leopard.

Is it possible for me to downgrade to iMovie HD? If so how is it done.? I am new to all things Mac as I converted only two week ago.

James Masciuch November 24th, 2007 09:08 AM

yup right here. they realized people were upset about the "upgrade"

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

Joseph H. Moore November 24th, 2007 09:22 AM

Because iMovie `08 was such a radical departure from timeline editing, Apple has made iMovie HD available to all iLife `08 owners. You can get the :old" version on Apple's website and you can even have them installed side-by-side (though I doubt you can exchange projects.)

You CAN bring your iMovie `08 project into Final Cut Express 4, though. If you are at all serious about video editing, I'd strongly recommend getting FCE. It's a super bargain at only $199, and gives you most of the tools of the $1,000+ Final Cut Pro.

John Tatten November 24th, 2007 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 781069)
Because iMovie `08 was such a radical departure from timeline editing, Apple has made iMovie HD available to all iLife `08 owners. You can get the :old" version on Apple's website and you can even have them installed side-by-side (though I doubt you can exchange projects.)

You CAN bring your iMovie `08 project into Final Cut Express 4, though. If you are at all serious about video editing, I'd strongly recommend getting FCE. It's a super bargain at only $199, and gives you most of the tools of the $1,000+ Final Cut Pro.

Thanks again. I will see if Santa Claus is willing to consider a request for FCE. On a pension these days and not a lot of spare cash.

Joseph H. Moore November 24th, 2007 10:12 AM

Understood.

Just out of curiosity, why do you even want to go back to tape?

John Tatten November 24th, 2007 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 781110)
Understood.

Just out of curiosity, why do you even want to go back to tape?

Well! As far as I understand it, that is the only way that I can view my edited HD movie. That is by recording back to tape and connecting my HDV camera to my HD TV by HDMI cable.

Is there another way?

Carl Middleton November 24th, 2007 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Tatten (Post 781137)
Is there another way?

Well, you theoretically could connect your computer to your TV using a card of some sort... depending on the layout of your house and the hardware in your computer.

Other than that, you're talking HD-DVD or BluRay burners, not cheap.

If your videos are something you'd like to share, I would just burn DVDs, but for personal viewing, I use an upressing DVD player or my camera, though I hate to put the extra wear on the camera.

John Tatten November 24th, 2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Middleton (Post 781138)
Well, you theoretically could connect your computer to your TV using a card of some sort... depending on the layout of your house and the hardware in your computer.

Other than that, you're talking HD-DVD or BluRay burners, not cheap.

If your videos are something you'd like to share, I would just burn DVDs, but for personal viewing, I use an upressing DVD player or my camera, though I hate to put the extra wear on the camera.

I think I'll wait for the prices to drop on the two HD formats. Until then I'll use the camera for playback.

While we have been communicating I have downloaded the iMovie HD and tried out a test movie. For now, it will suit me OK.

Many thanks for all your advice.

Joseph H. Moore November 24th, 2007 11:54 AM

1. A free option:
Sounds like you have a brand new Mac? If so, it has a DVI connector for the monitor. Your HDTV likely has either DVI or HDMI connectors. (As far as video is concerned, these are actually the same signal, just different physical connectors.) So, if your Mac is convenient to your TV, you can go straight out.

2. A free option:
Use iMovie HD. You can send the edited HDV stream back to the camera for recording or play-through.

3. A free option:
Burn a DVD. Yes, you will lose resolution, but if you have a decent progressive 16:9 DVD player it should still look quite nice.

4. A $299 option:
An AppleTV is a tiny little box that will allow you to send your HD video to the TV, wirelessly. (Along with your music, photos, etc.) It is super-slick and super easy to use, but it does cost almost as much as a cheap computer (because it is a cheap computer in disguise.)

John Tatten November 24th, 2007 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 781146)
1. A free option:
Sounds like you have a brand new Mac? If so, it has a DVI connector for the monitor. Your HDTV likely has either DVI or HDMI connectors. (As far as video is concerned, these are actually the same signal, just different physical connectors.) So, if your Mac is convenient to your TV, you can go straight out.

2. A free option:
Use iMovie HD. You can send the edited HDV stream back to the camera for recording or play-through.

3. A free option:
Burn a DVD. Yes, you will lose resolution, but if you have a decent progressive 16:9 DVD player it should still look quite nice.

4. A $299 option:
An AppleTV is a tiny little box that will allow you to send your HD video to the TV, wirelessly. (Along with your music, photos, etc.) It is super-slick and super easy to use, but it does cost almost as much as a cheap computer (because it is a cheap computer in disguise.)

I've got a new iMac which is an "all in one" unit, so no output.

I think I'll stick with the camera and iMovieHD for personal use and DVDs for family sharing until a HD recorder/player becomes an option when prices drop.

Joseph H. Moore November 24th, 2007 12:20 PM

Just for the record, your iMac actually does have DVI out. It uses the smaller "mini-DVI" version, but it's the same signal.

Not only can this port "mirror" your internal display, but it can also be a second screen ... absolutely perfect for monitoring your video if your computer just happens to be close to your HDTV. If not, well then, it's moot. ;-)

John Tatten November 24th, 2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore (Post 781160)
Just for the record, your iMac actually does have DVI out. It uses the smaller "mini-DVI" version, but it's the same signal.

Not only can this port "mirror" your internal display, but it can also be a second screen ... absolutely perfect for monitoring your video if your computer just happens to be close to your HDTV. If not, well then, it's moot. ;-)

Just goes to show what I know about my iMac!!!!! I did see the connection you mention but I thought it was an input only. I have a lot to learn after many years of Windows. Still, after only two weeks I have learned a lot, mainly thanks to helpful people, such as yourself, on the forums.