iMovie export at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #1
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 7
iMovie export

I have just edited my first Movie from my H20 using iMovie. I cannot see an option to export the edited movie back to the camera.

Please help!
John Tatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #2
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 35
I think you can't with iMovie '08. Check this out:

http://imovie08.blogspot.com/2007/09...to-camera.html
Brandon Svec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2007, 11:48 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 357
I think you either need to downgrade to iMovie HD, or upgrade to FCE, in order to export to tape.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM   #4
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
I think you either need to downgrade to iMovie HD, or upgrade to FCE, in order to export to tape.
Thanks for your advice. My iMac came with Tiger installed and the Leopard DVD was also in the box with the Mac. I immediately did a clean install of Leopard.

Is it possible for me to downgrade to iMovie HD? If so how is it done.? I am new to all things Mac as I converted only two week ago.
John Tatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #5
James Masciuch
 
Posts: n/a
yup right here. they realized people were upset about the "upgrade"

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html
  Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 357
Because iMovie `08 was such a radical departure from timeline editing, Apple has made iMovie HD available to all iLife `08 owners. You can get the :old" version on Apple's website and you can even have them installed side-by-side (though I doubt you can exchange projects.)

You CAN bring your iMovie `08 project into Final Cut Express 4, though. If you are at all serious about video editing, I'd strongly recommend getting FCE. It's a super bargain at only $199, and gives you most of the tools of the $1,000+ Final Cut Pro.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #7
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Because iMovie `08 was such a radical departure from timeline editing, Apple has made iMovie HD available to all iLife `08 owners. You can get the :old" version on Apple's website and you can even have them installed side-by-side (though I doubt you can exchange projects.)

You CAN bring your iMovie `08 project into Final Cut Express 4, though. If you are at all serious about video editing, I'd strongly recommend getting FCE. It's a super bargain at only $199, and gives you most of the tools of the $1,000+ Final Cut Pro.
Thanks again. I will see if Santa Claus is willing to consider a request for FCE. On a pension these days and not a lot of spare cash.
John Tatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 10:12 AM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 357
Understood.

Just out of curiosity, why do you even want to go back to tape?
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:26 AM   #9
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Understood.

Just out of curiosity, why do you even want to go back to tape?
Well! As far as I understand it, that is the only way that I can view my edited HD movie. That is by recording back to tape and connecting my HDV camera to my HD TV by HDMI cable.

Is there another way?
John Tatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:38 AM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tatten View Post
Is there another way?
Well, you theoretically could connect your computer to your TV using a card of some sort... depending on the layout of your house and the hardware in your computer.

Other than that, you're talking HD-DVD or BluRay burners, not cheap.

If your videos are something you'd like to share, I would just burn DVDs, but for personal viewing, I use an upressing DVD player or my camera, though I hate to put the extra wear on the camera.
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #11
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Middleton View Post
Well, you theoretically could connect your computer to your TV using a card of some sort... depending on the layout of your house and the hardware in your computer.

Other than that, you're talking HD-DVD or BluRay burners, not cheap.

If your videos are something you'd like to share, I would just burn DVDs, but for personal viewing, I use an upressing DVD player or my camera, though I hate to put the extra wear on the camera.
I think I'll wait for the prices to drop on the two HD formats. Until then I'll use the camera for playback.

While we have been communicating I have downloaded the iMovie HD and tried out a test movie. For now, it will suit me OK.

Many thanks for all your advice.
John Tatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 11:54 AM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 357
1. A free option:
Sounds like you have a brand new Mac? If so, it has a DVI connector for the monitor. Your HDTV likely has either DVI or HDMI connectors. (As far as video is concerned, these are actually the same signal, just different physical connectors.) So, if your Mac is convenient to your TV, you can go straight out.

2. A free option:
Use iMovie HD. You can send the edited HDV stream back to the camera for recording or play-through.

3. A free option:
Burn a DVD. Yes, you will lose resolution, but if you have a decent progressive 16:9 DVD player it should still look quite nice.

4. A $299 option:
An AppleTV is a tiny little box that will allow you to send your HD video to the TV, wirelessly. (Along with your music, photos, etc.) It is super-slick and super easy to use, but it does cost almost as much as a cheap computer (because it is a cheap computer in disguise.)
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM   #13
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
1. A free option:
Sounds like you have a brand new Mac? If so, it has a DVI connector for the monitor. Your HDTV likely has either DVI or HDMI connectors. (As far as video is concerned, these are actually the same signal, just different physical connectors.) So, if your Mac is convenient to your TV, you can go straight out.

2. A free option:
Use iMovie HD. You can send the edited HDV stream back to the camera for recording or play-through.

3. A free option:
Burn a DVD. Yes, you will lose resolution, but if you have a decent progressive 16:9 DVD player it should still look quite nice.

4. A $299 option:
An AppleTV is a tiny little box that will allow you to send your HD video to the TV, wirelessly. (Along with your music, photos, etc.) It is super-slick and super easy to use, but it does cost almost as much as a cheap computer (because it is a cheap computer in disguise.)
I've got a new iMac which is an "all in one" unit, so no output.

I think I'll stick with the camera and iMovieHD for personal use and DVDs for family sharing until a HD recorder/player becomes an option when prices drop.
John Tatten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 357
Just for the record, your iMac actually does have DVI out. It uses the smaller "mini-DVI" version, but it's the same signal.

Not only can this port "mirror" your internal display, but it can also be a second screen ... absolutely perfect for monitoring your video if your computer just happens to be close to your HDTV. If not, well then, it's moot. ;-)
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2007, 12:51 PM   #15
New Boot
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: London
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Just for the record, your iMac actually does have DVI out. It uses the smaller "mini-DVI" version, but it's the same signal.

Not only can this port "mirror" your internal display, but it can also be a second screen ... absolutely perfect for monitoring your video if your computer just happens to be close to your HDTV. If not, well then, it's moot. ;-)
Just goes to show what I know about my iMac!!!!! I did see the connection you mention but I thought it was an input only. I have a lot to learn after many years of Windows. Still, after only two weeks I have learned a lot, mainly thanks to helpful people, such as yourself, on the forums.
John Tatten is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network