DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Who's using the HV20 with the Brevis? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/108488-whos-using-hv20-brevis.html)

Mike Horrigan November 21st, 2007 09:11 AM

Who's using the HV20 with the Brevis?

I went to try one once but I couldn't get the vignetting out of a couple of the corners. I was using a few step up rings. Is a spacer necessary?
I decided not to rent it for that reason.

BTW, check out my latest HV20 movie in my signature if you have 5 minutes.

Thanks,

Mike

Benjamin Hill November 21st, 2007 10:56 AM

127MB, kinda big. Put up a smaller version if you can.

Noah Yuan-Vogel November 21st, 2007 12:26 PM

hey mike, your video seems choppy, looks like every 5th frame is repeated... what did you use to perform the reverse pulldown?

Mike Horrigan November 21st, 2007 01:34 PM

Just checked it... smooth on my end.
Didn't do the reverse pull-down so that shouldn't even be an issue.
Exported with H.264

Did you let it load first?

Mike

Robert Ducon November 21st, 2007 02:10 PM

Mike, at which location did you get a chance to try the Brevis?

Solution: The Brevis you tried probably had the CF1L in it .. the HV20 requires use of the CF1 (for use with cameras with the smaller front end). I've used an HV20 and Brevis with each kinds of the diffusers - the CF1L used to be the standard element, and yes, it'll vignette with the HV20 almost all the time.

The CF1 though, works great. That's the problem, 100% sure. Not the lack of the spacer.

Mike Horrigan November 21st, 2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Ducon (Post 779563)
Mike, at which location did you get a chance to try the Brevis?

Solution: The Brevis you tried probably had the CF1L in it .. the HV20 requires use of the CF1 (for use with cameras with the smaller front end). I've used an HV20 and Brevis with each kinds of the diffusers - the CF1L used to be the standard element, and yes, it'll vignette with the HV20 almost all the time.

The CF1 though, works great. That's the problem, 100% sure. Not the lack of the spacer.

Hi, Robert. A local guy owns one (as well as a lot of other equipment), he was going to rent it to me but we couldn't fix the vignette.

I'll run this by him and see what he says. Thanks!!

Mike

Robert Ducon November 21st, 2007 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noah Yuan-Vogel (Post 779458)
hey mike, your video seems choppy, looks like every 5th frame is repeated... what did you use to perform the reverse pulldown?

I saw it too. It appears it was shot at 1/24th shutter speed. Sharp image though, nicely lit. Gotta love the HV20.

Mike Horrigan November 21st, 2007 09:52 PM

Ah... it exported at 24 FPS. It should have been 29.97
Could that be the problem you're seeing?

Mike

Noah Yuan-Vogel November 22nd, 2007 12:16 PM

ah, that is most likely the issue.

Mike Horrigan November 22nd, 2007 01:06 PM

I fixed it. I'll be uploading a better (and smaller) file soon.

Thanks, guys!

Mike

Mike Horrigan November 22nd, 2007 01:32 PM

Alright... here it is.
JOEL 3:15

Also fixed it in my Signature.
75MB download!

Thanks again, guys!

Mike

Joseph H. Moore November 23rd, 2007 09:05 PM

I have the HV20 and the Brevis. (Actually, I HAD them, they were stolen.) They pair beautifully with just one step-up adapter. (Which out of convenience, Cinevate sells.) It is very easy to zoom into and focus onto the diffuser's image plane with great edge to edge sharpness and no vignetting.

For the combined price, I consider it an indie fillmaker's best option right now.