DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Can the HG10 support a camera lens? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/109899-can-hg10-support-camera-lens.html)

Davo Abear December 10th, 2007 09:31 AM

Can the HG10 support a camera lens?

I've seen pictures of the HV20 sporting a lens from a photography camera(thats awesome considering you get OIS in the camcorder, and a lens would cost $2000 for that function) but can the HG10 do the same thing?

Also, the HV20 takes great still pictures, love them, my SR7 is worse than a cell phone so I'm selling it, the video isn't spectacular enough to give up manual controls and still photo resolution.....but does the HG10 take the same photos as the HV20?

Chris Hurd December 10th, 2007 10:18 AM

Moved from HV20 to AVCHD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davo Abear (Post 790128)
I've seen pictures of the HV20 sporting a lens from a photography camera... but can the HG10 do the same thing?

Out of the box, no (and neither can the HV20). However, any camcorder (including the HV20 and HG10) can be adapted to use a 35mm still photography lens by purchasing a 35mm adapter, of which there are several different makes at various prices. See our "Alternative Imaging Methods" forum for much more info.

Quote:

Also, the HV20 takes great still pictures... does the HG10 take the same photos as the HV20?
Yes, exactly the same, because both the HV20 and HG10 have the same optics, image sensor, processor and still photo recording capability.

Davo Abear December 10th, 2007 10:46 AM

So basically the HG10, is just the harddrive version of the HV20?

Both similar in quality and functions?

Chris Hurd December 10th, 2007 10:54 AM

Yes and yes. In terms of functions, the biggest difference I can think of is that the HV20 lets you manually adjust the audio input volume level, but the HG10 does not.

Davo Abear December 10th, 2007 10:59 AM

So since I was wanting to get the HV20, I'd be better off going HG10 since I don't really like tapes?

Specially since I'm not big on "real time" transferring, but converting avchd to mpg takes a long enough time itself.

I'm wondering if the tape is a better choice just because of overall editable format with minimal conversions needed.

Chris Hurd December 10th, 2007 11:21 AM

It's entirely your own call as to what the better choice is.

For editing AVCHD, you'll need a powerful computer with a very fast processor and plenty of RAM.

Brian Boyko February 12th, 2008 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 790167)
Yes and yes. In terms of functions, the biggest difference I can think of is that the HV20 lets you manually adjust the audio input volume level, but the HG10 does not.

Chris: That's a BIG difference - I don't want audio blowout, and adjusting the audio gain is the #2 thing I do with the camera. #1 would be focus, and #3 would be zoom...