My new HG10 died after 2 days - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:29 PM   #16
New Boot

Dave,

I received the memory stick today, and it passes the authenticity tests mentioned in the guides - so I also do think it is a genuine one. Thanks for checking on it.

You have got a very professional setup for this neat little camera - all I can say is WOW! Please tell me more about the LANC controller, and how you made it work - as I'd like to get one for the CX7. I found a LANC, item 110215491073 on eBay, pretty reasonably priced. Do you think it would be worthwhile?

I have been looking at video lights from Sony and am not very sure which one should I get. I saw one that had an infrared plus a video light combined, and another one that had the video light as well as a flash built in - plus just regular old video lights.

I saw the bluetooth mic and was quite intrigued about it - how do you like it so far? It seems like a great idea for audio range in your videos.

I do want to get another battery - have been looking at the NP-FH70 and the NP-FH100. I like the endurance on the FH100, but am not sure about the bulk and the weight it would add to the camera as I am sure it would stick out quite a bit. FH70 looks more manageable, with a decent charge.

Can you post a pic of your CX7 tricked out, I'd love to see it?

Thanks.
Hassan Khawaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 12:38 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I'll be releasing the directions for the LANC mod shortly - I've had a lot of requests for the other functions on the A/V jack (which is where the LANC interface is hiding on this and other Sony cams), so trying to thoroughly document those before I release directions to hack the connection. You have to sacrifice an A/V cable, but they can be had for under $10 on eBay... I'll also probably have adapters readymade between the A/V and the standard 2.5mm... just need to finalize a way to handbuild them without taking too much time!

The LANC you mentioned looks pretty cool, and *should* work just fine with the adapter or a modded end for the A/V jack - I've tested 3 different LANC controllers and all work as expected. I like having the remote control, thus why I decided to crack the code on that A/V jack!

Light wise, I use the Sony HVL-20DMA (uses the FM series batteries - get a 71 or a 91), they also have a 20DW2 that uses the older NP-F series batteries, again a 7xx or 9xx needed. Those switch between 10 and 20 watts (1 or 2 lights). I run a Stofen style diffuser (there's a copy on eBay a bit cheaper, but they aren't THAT expensive). The diffuser keeps the light from being too blinding, and I mount the light on one of the flash bracket cold shoes, so it's up and away from the camera a bit. The small camera powered lights work OK, but they tend to throw a bit of a hot spot - very good for close in work though, or for a bit of fill in a pinch, and cheap.

The HW1 is pretty cool, especially in the center channel mode. I'll be testing if two can co-exist shortly, if not I'll have one for sale! I'm hoping that the bluetooth channels are dedicated so two mics can be used simultaneously - like to retire my other wireless mics. AND it has that headphone jack on the side, providing some monitoring!

The FH100 is a big hunk o' battery, it's almost twice the size of the stock (AND oddly the FH70) battery. Yeah it lasts forever, but a couple 70's is probably a better bet for most use - I do use the 100 to counterbalance the WA though, especially if I put the HG7037Y glass on...

I'll try to take a picture or two sometime soon - should be testing the #2 HW1 this weekend, so maybe I can snap off a shot or two! After everything is tacked on the cam starts to look pretty impressive - maybe it won't match the big boys for looks, but it's got a stealth quality that when it's tricked out starts to look pretty good, and I wouldn't be embarrased to use it on a shoot.

It ain't an FX7 or Z1U, but I wanted to have a "low budget" shooting package since the economy seems to be tightening up - I can shoot and quick edit from a pair of these and deliver a finished product fast. Plus the thing is just too much fun to shoot anyway!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders