My new HG10 died after 2 days at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 16th, 2007, 07:39 PM   #1
New Boot

My new HG10 died after 2 days

Hi guys,

I thought I'd share my experience with the HG10. After reading great reviews of the HG10, I went ahead and ordered it online and received it within a few days. My initial testing went great, and I was very impressed by the results - which were nothing short of stunning.

Transferring the media to the PC also was smooth, and the bundled Corel and Ulead software worked adequately. In some recordings I did notice that the hard drive was making some light clicking noises, which I didn't pay much attention to, but they did bother me. The noises were mechanical in nature and I figured that it must be the spinning and writing since a lot of content is being recorded on it.

Those noises did end up in the video as well, and were bothersome as I had just replaced my miniDV camera and the motor noises had bothered me there as well. I had thought the HDD would be silent, so I was very surprised at the results.

Anyhow, on the 2nd morning, I started the camera up and began some more recordings, but right away I saw a big red icon with an X in it saying "cannot record" and it made a beep to alert me. I tried a few more times, but got the same result. I shut the camera off, removed the battery and then let it sit for a few minutes and started again. Same result. Now I started to panic that maybe I had somehow bricked the camera. Moreover, it could not play any recorded videos at all, saying "cannot play". So I called Canon, and the tech helped me through it by initializing the HDD a few times, but again the camera refused to record anything. We even turned off image stabilization and the fall sensor, just in case the movement may be causing the HDD to stop. But that didn't help either, so he concluded that maybe the HDD had gone bad. I immediately called up the online retailer, who was nice enough to issue an RMA right away without any issues.

I ordered a new HG10 as replacement, though I did ponder ordering an CX7 Sony, or a Panasonic SD5 since they use solid state media - albeit the recording time is shorter (30min to 80min). I thought HG10 deserved another chance and that maybe I didn't do something right and inadvertently messed it up. Even though I do feel the camera has to be somewhat "forgiving" especially since it's a consumer camera. But I also do understand the nature of electronics, and that you just never know - and HDDs are usually susceptible to damage.

I am getting the new one in a couple of days, and hopefully I won't run into any issues.

Has anyone run into any similar issues at all? Can any HG10 owners describe if the HDD makes any intermittent whirling/clicking noises while recording and if they end up in the video?

Thanks.

Last edited by Hassan Khawaja; December 16th, 2007 at 07:40 PM. Reason: incomplete
Hassan Khawaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 09:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan Khawaja View Post
Hi guys,

Has anyone run into any similar issues at all? Can any HG10 owners describe if the HDD makes any intermittent whirling/clicking noises while recording and if they end up in the video?

Thanks.

I have not noticed any motor noises.
Brian W. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #3
New Boot

Thanks, that is what I thought. I noticed the noise in some but not all videos.

BTW, here's a sample video footage from my HG10, before the hard drive started having problems. It's on YouTube, so it doesn't look the best (camera work could be better too). I have the m2ts and the wmv also which are full resolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7a8YgC2atw
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi there,

I've been using mine pretty aggressively for a few weeks now and knock on wood, everything's been fine. I haven't noticed any drive noise yet, but I often shoot with a Rode Videomic attached.

Sounds like you got a damaged unit on the first go-round. Sorry about that, hopefully the next one's a keeper.
Sean McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan Khawaja View Post
Thanks, that is what I thought. I noticed the noise in some but not all videos.

BTW, here's a sample video footage from my HG10, before the hard drive started having problems. It's on YouTube, so it doesn't look the best (camera work could be better too). I have the m2ts and the wmv also which are full resolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7a8YgC2atw
try stage6.com in divx format, and vimeo.com

your pinnacle studio 11+ will convert to divx hi res
Brian W. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM   #6
New Boot

I can't believe what I'm reading

What you have reported here has saved my bacon. Let me explain. I went through 3 Sony SR7's before I gave up on it. I had the same issue as you, the click-click sound that it recorded. Everytime the buffer uploads to the hard drive it emits that sound. That's where you get that clicking sound from. What I finally ended up doing was going for the CX7...dead quite, and the video...breathtaking. One problem I was experiencing with the CX7 is video shake or small jiggles. I recently found out that it is common with all cameras, even the HG10, that record that type of high compression video. Before I decided to keep the CX7 and work around the jiggling motion with tripods etc., I thought of going back to the store and try out the HG10, even though many have said that by using a hard drive model you stand the chance of the drive crashing...just like you yourself found out. Because of what you have experienced, I am definately keeping the CX7. It's a beautiful little camcorder, and everyone that has one has raved about it on this and other camcorder forums. I'm not going to try and talk you out of replacing your HG10 when it arrives, but image if you will that you are on a once in a lifetime vacation and half way through it the hard drive crashes like what just happened. What are you going to do? Well there's really nothing you can do except wait until you get home and hope that what video you took can be recovered. But what about the rest of the vacation...just watch all the great video possibilities pass you by. The nice thing about the CX7 is that you record one hour at a time per 8gig card. If the card fails all you have lost is one hour of video...not the whole vacation. I'm just going to collect a bunch of cards and wait till I get home from my upcoming vacation to download them onto the computer. It might be a little more expensive that way, but I have a much greater chance of preserving the video.

I'm real sorry to hear of you problems with this camera, but as I said, I am definately keeping the CX7 now. I wish you all the best.
Wayne Harwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:05 PM   #7
New Boot

Yes, that's the exact reason I looked at CX7 and SD5. I checked the CX7 and SD5 at a local Fry's and the CX7 video looked much better, at least through the lcd screen - though I am sure the Panasonic is very good as well. Both cameras are almost identical looks wise and I like their tiny size.

I think you've made a good decision for the long run. Hopefully the drive will turn out to be more resilient this time, but I'll be a little more edgy using it I'm sure.
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:08 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Smith View Post
try stage6.com in divx format, and vimeo.com

your pinnacle studio 11+ will convert to divx hi res
Thanks for the suggestions, I've stumbled upon stage6 before and I loved it. I'll go ahead and upload it there as well and share the link. HG10 is the featured sponsor of vimeo.com :)
Old January 20th, 2008, 11:44 PM   #9
New Boot

I thought I'd just update on how things have been going with the HG10 replacement. Well, I received and started using it and it worked fine for many days and I was pretty happy with it.

Then one day I powered it up and it would not focus, as usually it's pretty quick in focussing. I played with the zoom rocker and it made the camera gain the focus, but then the zoom would have no effect - T or W.
That made my stomach curl, this was twice in a row, and I was like there is no way the retailer would replace it for me, and I'd have to send it to Canon for repair. I thought of calling the retailer and at least asking, may be they'd do it again.
But before I did, I called Canon and described the issue and they recommended sending it in. So, I called the retailer and they listened to the whole story and said to call Canon - maybe I didn't know how to operate the camera :), and if Canon says it's bad they'll issue the RMA. So, I told him about my conversation with Canon and he issued me an RMA - I was very relieved and this time I told him I wanted a different camera.

My preference was either a Panasonic SD-5 or the Sony CX7, both solid state media based camcorders. The retailer didn't carry the SD-5, they only had the older SD-1, so I just paid the difference and got the CX-7.

I received it last week, and boy, what a tiny little beauty it is. Lightweight and miniscule, it is very well made and so far I like it very much. I bought a couple of 4GB sticks from Fry's as they were on sale for $39.99, and have also ordered an 8GB one from eBay - which should be plenty for me for the forseeable near future.

The viewer/player software bundled is also very nice and I use a third party software(Vegas and Pinnacle) for editing. The camcorder also has a great Night mode for shooting in almost total darkness, and a slow motion capture which is simply amazing.

So, there it is - starting from HG10 and ending up with CX7, and as Wayne said earlier, I am also definitely keeping the CX7.
Old January 21st, 2008, 03:33 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Sorry to hear about the grief with the Canon... BUT you'll quickly learn to love this little CX7.

I couldn't figure out the concept, so I got one out of curiousity... and it all started to make sense! Had to buy another one because the wife claimed the first one... loves the thing, and we both enjoy shooting stuff with it! I've figured out how to trick it out so I can use it and do about 90% of what a "big" cam can do, maybe more as it's not as tiring to shoot. And it's the old thing, the "best" camera is the one you have with you when "the shot" comes up - this is one you'll have with you!!

One word of warning, watch those eBay 8G sticks, - if your camera gives you an error message when you put it in, you got one of the 90% (I'm guessing, but it's probably close) counterfeit sticks that are all over eBay like fleas on an old dog... I've had several "genuine" ones come in only to find they are FAKES out of China, and won't hold any more than 4G of data... There's a guide on eBay to help you figure out whether you got a fake or not, but the newer ones are even harder to tell.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 04:15 AM   #11
Major Player

Hassan,

Hi! This is Kaushik from India, I read your posting, I have one question for you, why don't you buy JVC GZHD7? I am using it since last 9 months! I am very much happy! It has 60GB HDD and you can record on SDHC card also!

If you want to see my captured videos below are links:

http://vimeo.com/623399
http://vimeo.com/621475
http://vimeo.com/617515
http://vimeo.com/617254
http://vimeo.com/616634
http://vimeo.com/458245
http://vimeo.com/458673
http://vimeo.com/466120
http://vimeo.com/469280
http://vimeo.com/601216
http://vimeo.com/603273
http://vimeo.com/605499
http://vimeo.com/608358
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:05 PM   #12
New Boot

Great videos, Kaushik. I did look at the HD7 for quite sometime, and was quite interested in it as well. I think it is one of the best looking cameras out there.
Reading the reviews elsewhere, they mentioned the video quality left something to be desired - so I started looking at other cameras out there as well. From the quality of your videos, it does seem to be a great camera. Does it give you a choice to record on HDD as well as the SD card? And how big an SD card it can take?

As an aside, if someone is looking for one, and doesn't mind a refurbished one, it can be had for 799 from eCost.
Old January 21st, 2008, 07:17 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Blackhurst View Post
Sorry to hear about the grief with the Canon... BUT you'll quickly learn to love this little CX7.

I couldn't figure out the concept, so I got one out of curiousity... and it all started to make sense! Had to buy another one because the wife claimed the first one... loves the thing, and we both enjoy shooting stuff with it! I've figured out how to trick it out so I can use it and do about 90% of what a "big" cam can do, maybe more as it's not as tiring to shoot. And it's the old thing, the "best" camera is the one you have with you when "the shot" comes up - this is one you'll have with you!!

One word of warning, watch those eBay 8G sticks, - if your camera gives you an error message when you put it in, you got one of the 90% (I'm guessing, but it's probably close) counterfeit sticks that are all over eBay like fleas on an old dog... I've had several "genuine" ones come in only to find they are FAKES out of China, and won't hold any more than 4G of data... There's a guide on eBay to help you figure out whether you got a fake or not, but the newer ones are even harder to tell.
Dave, great story on the CX7 - so you got 2 now :) awesome! Do you mind telling what did you do to trick it out?
I did see the ebay guide, and was wary before I ordered it. But the seller swore it was genuine and said something about how the plastic is sealed on the blister pack on the genuine ones. The item number is 110215587380, do check it out and let me know what you think? I guess I'll find out when it does arrive.
Old January 21st, 2008, 08:58 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Well, I've got my dual bracket setup for stabilization handheld, and if I want to hang a 10/20w light with diffuser.

An old Bogen automatic Monopod for a cheap "steadycam" type effect and for tripod substitute - pretty good steady actually, as is the bracket rig.

A lightweight lanyard/clip on the strap ring, so I can hang it around my neck.

The HW1 wireless bluetooth mic, which has a headphone out too, so I can monitor center channel audio at least.

WA lens, always a good thing to have. The HG0737c isn't as nice as the old y, but weight is better proportion to the flyweight CX.

I have the old SPK HCB sport pack shell/sled modified to take the CX7 with the WA mounted for foul weather or water... haven't really used the option yet, but it's ready and good to go!

And I've also cracked the code on the A/V jack so I can interface a LANC with focus control - or any other LANC controller. Gives an added measure of control so I can use the cam on a monopod as a crane/jib type setup, or as one of those "shoot yerself" rigs if I want - the light weight is so much easier to deal with!

Nice thing is the cam itself with the brackets and all the things I'd usually need fits in a small bag!

I looked at that auction, it looks legit, you probably got lucky - I posted a guide myself just a bit ago, as I'm tired of getting fakes... even legit sellers/sources are getting these somehow!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM   #15
Major Player

Hassan,

I am glad you like the videos, yes there is 60GB HDD and you can put SDHC card up to 8GB (or maybe 16, 32GB also, I am not sure!). Now GZHD7 is available at very reasonable price why don't you buy and try for 2 or 3 days, and see it, if you do not like just return it and buy something else! I would suggest you do not go on reviews, feel it by your self!

Do let me know your reaction if you buy JVC GZHD7.

Kaushik
Kaushik Parmar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders