Camera Condensation Warning at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 20th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Condensation Warning

After having my camera in a cold car on accident over night I brought it inside to take some footage. When i turned it on is said condensation detected and flashed that repeatedly, not letting me film. When i tried to take the tape out it hung on the head and I had to pull it out (obviously tape gone). I had to let it sit inside for about 3 1/2 hours before it would function again, but once it did it seemed fine, filmed ok, and rendered after wards with no trouble. My question is, should I get a head cleaner before I shoot anything else, and as long as the condensation dried up, is there any danger of damage to it since it was not used while wet?
Kevin Borein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I had the exact same experience one time but i think in my case i was shooting outdoors on a real foggy morning out in the country. i can't remember about cleaning the head but to me it probably wouldn't hurt to do so. it would make sense that if moisture got on the head and than evaporated that it could leave some sort of deposit on the head just like you notice on your windshield sometimes.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Regular Crew

thats exactly what i was thinking/worried about. Any recommendations for a head cleaner?
Kevin Borein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 03:58 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Borein View Post
thats exactly what i was thinking/worried about. Any recommendations for a head cleaner?
I'm sorry. I just picked up one at Best Buy which I probably over paid for it. I recommend you search here or on the HV20 forum for "head cleaner" and you will surely come up with some recommendations. I hear there are wet & dry ones and you need to know whether the tapes you purchase or wet or dry. This is a confusing subject for me since I've never found anything on the tape packages indicating whether they were wet or dry. This may be an old wives tale that doesn't apply anymore but I'm not certain.
John Hotze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 01:12 AM   #5
Contributor

I like to use the head cleaner made by the same brand as the tapes you're shooting, I had mine give me the condesation warning after using it in my underwater housing and not using enough desicant.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:01 AM   #6
Major Player

A tape cleaning is a good idea.

In the future if this happens get your trusty hair dryer, set it on low, open the tape door and warm the interior of the camcorder. Remove the tape if possible. Leave the camera on while you do this. This heats up the electronics and helps clear any condensation. Also the floor heater in your car (set to high) will do the same thing if you can't get to the hair dryer. Old TV photog trick.
Rick L. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Wrangler

Cleaning will not hurt, and may be helpful after the experience. Follow the directions in the manual (page 94). Do not use "wet" cleaning tapes.

Any brand name MiniDV "dry" cleaning tape will be OK. It need not be the same brand as the recording tape you use.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders