Compressed video gets jagged horizontal lines at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 31st, 2007, 03:41 PM   #1
Tourist

Compressed video gets jagged horizontal lines

Hello,

I bought Canon HV10 and must say that it's the best camcorder I've owned yet!
One problem though, when I try to render my video to MPEG-2 in Sony Vegas, after conversion I get these jagged horizontal lines whenever something fast happens in the video (car is driving by, person is running). Why is that? What am I doing wrong?

thanks,
Alex
Aleksandr Kravets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Tourist

And the horizontal lines look exactly like this: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25318

I am not sure about the "Movie Mode" because connecting camera straight to TV does not have these lines.

Alex
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:09 PM   #3
Contributor

that's just interlacing, you're not doing anything wrong, and when you view it on a tv, like that apple doc says, you won't see it. i'm assuming you're exporting to mpeg2 to make dvds? if so you don't have to worry about it, as it won't show up on the tv, and if you play it back on the computer most players have an option to deinterlace.

you're other option is to deinterlace before you export it, that way regardless of what you export to it will have clean images.

you'll have to get one of the guys here with more vegas experience to help you out with the deinterlacing process
Old December 31st, 2007, 08:05 PM   #4
Major Player

You need to deinterlace before scaling. Vegas can do it for you.

Last edited by Michael Jouravlev; January 1st, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Michael Jouravlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2008, 03:26 AM   #5
New Boot

Are you rendering out to the same resolution or scaling? If scaling, in the project properties you need to set deinterlace to either Blend or Interpolate. And make sure Vegas is reading your source video correctly (it probably is) - ie it's top field first for HDV. Having said that, I'm not particularly happy with Vegas's downscaling as moving diagonal lines have jagged edges (more than you'd normally expect from interlaced NTSC). So I'm considering purchasing Procoder as it does a brilliant job of scaling interlaced video.
Leopold Hamulczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2008, 09:34 AM   #6
Tourist

Thanks for the help guys!

I believe I was deinterlacing my footage correctly, but may be it's the properties I am setting when it's time to rendered, at least according to this: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/archive/i...p/t-14408.html

I'll try to play with this some more.
Old January 5th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #7
Major Player

If your footage has those lines, then you are definitely not deinterlacing correctly.
Seun Osewa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders