Help!HG10 not showing up in Final Cut Express at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 4th, 2008, 05:16 AM   #1
New Boot

Help!HG10 not showing up in Final Cut Express

I am a long way from anywhere with either an Applecentre or a camera shop in Cape Province, and am wholly unable to connect my HG10 to Final Cut Express.My computer shows the camera's disk on the desktop (MacBook Pro 2.4ghz) and I have FCE 3.5.1. I am sure it's my fault but the Apple Forum is down and I rather foolishly didn't bring the HG10 manual. If anyone has ideas I would be most grateful. I expect the answer is out there, but so far Google and forum search haven't helped.
Robert Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Canon HG10 is a AVCHD cam and you need FCE 4 to import that codec.

If you have Imovie 08 then you can use that program to import the AVCHD material.

It will be converted to AIC by imovie 08 and you can use AIC with FCE 3,5
Old January 4th, 2008, 06:23 PM   #3
Trustee

Can't you use Mpegstreamclip to export to AIC or other codec of your choice?
Old January 4th, 2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Major Player

I would too try to use imovie 08, it's the cleanest way to not lose quality during the conversion to AIC and then use that for editing with FCE.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2008, 03:31 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks!

Guidance very much appreciated. Apple at V&A Waterfront (Cape Town's largest mall) sold me FCE 3.5 3 days ago as the answer to the HG20, which is irritating. I now have iMovie 8 and that should take care of things for the moment. Upgrade disk to FCE 4.0 not available in Cape Town so it will have to wait until I return to UK.
It is the waste ot time and effort in trying to make things work which never would is what is most annoying. Oh well, I can now relax and enjoy the sun, breeze and scenery.
My thanks again.
Robert Dashwood is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders